Beane interview w/ Fairburn (QB, Shaq, etc.)

eball

For those of you who have subscribed to The Athletic there's an interview posted here.  I'm not going to cut and paste the whole thing but I found two sections particularly enlightening -- Beane's comments regarding playing time for Allen and his thoughts on Shaq.

Regarding Allen:

With the struggles that rookies go through, Josh will have his at some point. When you see Carson Wentz and Jared Goff make big jumps in year two, does that make it important that you at least get a look at Josh at some point this year and let him go through some of those struggles?

I think it will play out. As we sit here today, I can tell you it is not predetermined that he will play ‘X’ number of games. He could play zero or he could play 16 and that’s as real as it is. We have to be fair to the team, so we want to put the guy out there who gives us the best chance to win each Sunday. It doesn’t mean it will play out that way, but we have to make the best decision to do that. So I’m not worried about it. Every team plays their guy when it fits them. That’s our thing. Let’s just follow our plan and give everybody the amount of reps that they need to prove what they can do and let the cream rise to the top. If he plays zero games, then they weren’t meant to be played by him this year. If he plays 16, then that was the plan for us and we’ll see how it went and approach next year.

Regarding Shaq:

Shaq Lawson seems to have a little extra motivation. What does the future hold for him?

“Shaq is a guy that this franchise put a lot of stock in with a first-round pick [in 2016]. It’s no secret he hasn’t lived up to that. Sean and I are very frank. We try not to be rude, but we don’t beat around the bush. We laid out the expectations for Shaq. I think he’s done a real good job to this point. But we have a lot to go. We’re off for five weeks. What’s he going to do in these next five weeks? Is he going to take the next step from where he left off or is he going to regress? That’s the conversation we had. I think he wants it. I think he is more focused this year than what I saw last year. The sky is the limit. The guy is talented. It’s just what he makes of it and how bad he wants it. It’s hard. Some of these guys don’t know what it means to be a pro every day and that was part of the thing for him. I think he’s now getting that. It is a big summer. Training camp will tell a lot about where his career in Buffalo is headed.”

The rest of the interview is good as well; stuff about Zay, the QB "room," etc.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

13 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

The Athletic is already a better site than BN

100% truth. They really have some great talent. I hope they keep it together for at least two years orI wasted some money. 

I like Beane and appreciate his frankness in interviews. I hope Shaq looks inside himself and comprehends what it is that will make him a better player rather than sulking and getting angry at the FO. Beanes comments are accurate, but some players take these things the absolute wrong way.

3 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Isn't it refreshing to have a GM and coach that will actually speak their minds and call people out if need be?  I mean...I still get shivers when I think back on Jauron's lifeless/emotionless press conferences!  ?

Ahh, he was pretty articulate for a zombie.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

100% truth. They really have some great talent. I hope they keep it together for at least two years orI wasted some money. 

I like Beane and appreciate his frankness in interviews. I hope Shaq looks inside himself and comprehends what it is that will make him a better player rather than sulking and getting angry at the FO. Beanes comments are accurate, but some players take these things the absolute wrong way.

It is better that they act that way NOW before any extension is tacked on his contract hopefully one without any escape clauses like the one Jim Overdorf gave Darius.

• Like (+1) 1

Holy cow! He pulled no punches when talking about Shaq Lawson. That's a little surprising, but hopefully Shaq uses this to light a fire under him and play up to his potential.