Report: Baker Mayfield not ready to compete with Tyrod Taylor

It won't surprise me if Taylor has a decent year, the Browns have one of the better wr corps this year with Gordon, Landry, and Coleman, not to mention Nick Chubb, Carlos Hyde, and Duke Johnson in the backfield, and Djoku at te. Definitely a whole lot more weapons than the Bills. They have added more talent to the d and they are bound to turn it around one of these years. 

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

This is an incredibly brave confession. I, too, believe this malice lurks in the hearts of many Bills fans, though they are loath to admit it. 

It’s interesting to me that people might feel that way. I honestly don’t care about former players once they leave the Bills, at all. They’re of slightly more interest in the scope of my involvement with the NFL because they once WERE Bills players, I guess, but the entirety of my personal fanhood is to the team and not the player. Always.

Best example of late was Jackson. I LOVED Fred Jackson. My favorite Bill since Thurman Thomas by far, followed his career like a hawk, whole nine yards...I loved the dude. Watching him on Sundays was church for me. Then he went to Seattle and outside an hour or so immediately afterwards I couldn’t bring myself to feel even a little bit about him except mild annoyance after he started trashing Whaley to the media regarding his release. And I don’t even LIKE Whaley. Different strokes I guess.

Taylor is what he is. Taylor will never put up multiple 250 yards passing in a row to win games. Taylor isn’t a franchise QB, if he was he wouldn’t be on his third team. Taylor is on the fringe of starting QB/backup. Cleveland will embrace him and he will probably have a few good games to start the season. Ultimately fans in Cleveland will see what we witnessed in Buffalo. 

I was in Cleveland a week ago and they are excited to  have Taylor. I can’t blame them when I look at what they have had at QB the last several years. 

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

We got the floor of Tyrod Taylor the past two seasons.    

Fortunately the floor was rarely turning the ball over.

He'll never be a franchise QB but put talent around him and he turns into a catalyst for big offensive production. 

There are some dudes in that Cleveland WR corps and nice stable of RB's.........I expect that offense will be fun to watch.

7 hours ago, grb said:

It doesn't seem like that hard a question : If Taylor is the disaster so many people yearn to believe, why did he play pretty well the only time the Bills put a good (not elite) offensive cast around him? That seems so simple, but ask and you hear every kind of nonsense. Let's take this thread alone : OldTimeAFLGuy is still selling his shtick Taylor lacks the "skill set" to throw downfield. But inquire of the old-timer why TT had one of the best long-games in the NFL when the Bills fielded a deep threat - and then you get deafening silence.

The Red King has this soulful theory it's just a "crisis of faith". Mercifully, this isn't a Garden of Gethsemane-style-thing, but lack of faith by Taylor in his receivers. About those receivers - rated one of the worst groups in the league last year - T.R.King has strangely little to say. But if faith is belief in the absence of evidence, then T.R.K. has it it spades. He believes (truly believes!!!) in all those wide receivers streaking free and clear every single play. Meanwhile, (back on home planet Earth) NetGenStats listed the Bills receivers as near league-bottom in getting separation. Of course faith can handle that fact, right?

But PeterGriffin has the most elegantly constructed nonsense of all : The league "figured Taylor out" at the exact same rate his offensive cast deteriorated. Two independent phenomena occurring in perfect sync, but having absolutely no relationship. Try disproving something that nebulous, huh?

It doesn't seem like that hard a question : If Taylor is the disaster so many people want to see, why did he play pretty well the only time the Bills put a good (not elite) offensive cast around him? Or for that matter, why shouldn't he play the same way when put in the same situation?

I think you two Taylorstans should upload a YouTube video of y’all watching the Browns games together. 

These amazing receivers will have Taylor recreating the greatest show on turf in no time!  

Hue Jackson is Vegas favorite to be first coach fired next season

Vincent Frank, Sportsnaut
13 hrs ago

It’s not terribly surprising that Cleveland Browns head coach Hue Jackson will head into the 2018 NFL season clearly on the hot seat.

His Browns are coming off a 2017 campaign in which the team posted just the second winless 16-game regular season in league history. Jackson himself is now 1-31 as the Browns’ head coach. That’s bad. Historically bad.

According to Vegas, this futility has Jackson has the favorite to be the first head coach fired once the 2018 season comes calling. In fact, he’s the overwhelming favorite.

Opening odds to be the first NFL head coach fired (@betway):

Hue Jackson +350
Adam Gase +750
Marvin Lewis +1000
Vance Joseph +1000
Dirk Koetter +1200
Jay Gruden +1200

22 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Thats almost 4 times the production from last years home game against the Saints

9 for 18 56 yds and 1 int ;)

But 56 very important yards!  We would have been blown out if not for those 56 yards!

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Hue Jackson is Vegas favorite to be first coach fired next season

Vincent Frank, Sportsnaut
13 hrs ago

It’s not terribly surprising that Cleveland Browns head coach Hue Jackson will head into the 2018 NFL season clearly on the hot seat.

His Browns are coming off a 2017 campaign in which the team posted just the second winless 16-game regular season in league history. Jackson himself is now 1-31 as the Browns’ head coach. That’s bad. Historically bad.

According to Vegas, this futility has Jackson has the favorite to be the first head coach fired once the 2018 season comes calling. In fact, he’s the overwhelming favorite.

Opening odds to be the first NFL head coach fired (@betway?

Hue Jackson +350
Adam Gase +750
Marvin Lewis +1000
Vance Joseph +1000
Dirk Koetter +1200
Jay Gruden +1200

I can't imagine Jackson getting fired in the middle of the season after letting him go 0-16 after 1-15.  He makes it through 16 more games before the axe falls.  It's either Koetter or Joseph, with Koetter as the favorite. 

9 hours ago, HT02 said:

But 56 very important yards!  We would have been blown out if not for those 56 yards!

Yeah only 47-10 and the Saints took their foot off the throttle in the 4th ;) 

7 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Cowherd is a clown. Not only did Mayfield not stand for his half-baked crap, but BM was smooth and in control while answering back.

I'm sure that wasn't the kind of response Colin was looking to provoke.......

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/19/2018 at 12:09 AM, The Red King said:

Not surprising.  Tyrod was brought in to provide consistency and stability to a train-wreck of a team.  TT doesn't lose games by making mistakes, and doesn't win them with big plays.  He may be mediocre, baseline, but right now that stability is more important to Cleveland.  By the time the Browns outgrow Tyrod, Mayfield will be ready.  This is why they traded for TT in the first place.

TT may actually have the supporting cast he needs to be successful in Cleveland.  Don't be surprised if he keeps that job until some of those guys want to get paid.

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

TT may actually have the supporting cast he needs to be successful in Cleveland.  Don't be surprised if he keeps that job until some of those guys want to get paid.

That would be very surprising. 

The Browns did not draft Baker #1 overall to keep him on the bench whilst negotiating a contract extension with TT.  The plan is to give Mayfield up to one season to learn, then put him out there.  TT is playing for a 2019 contract with his 4th team, and if he does well, he'll get it.  If he plays as he did here last year, it'll be backup $$

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That would be very surprising. 

The Browns did not draft Baker #1 overall to keep him on the bench whilst negotiating a contract extension with TT.  The plan is to give Mayfield up to one season to learn, then put him out there.  TT is playing for a 2019 contract with his 4th team, and if he does well, he'll get it.  If he plays as he did here last year, it'll be backup $$

Plans change