Jump to content
Domdab99

Report: Baker Mayfield not ready to compete with Tyrod Taylor

Recommended Posts

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

It would be classic Bills for him to be traded to a team and their franchise cornerstone LT just retired leaving a giant hole there to protect his blindside.  

 

The only thing that could have made it better is if we had traded Mills to them too just to screw up the RT spot. 

 

I think Mills will be better this year,having some competition should push him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JMF2006 said:

 

I think Mills will be better this year,having some competition should push him.

Newhouse?   That's cringeworthy. I was kind of hoping that Connor McDermott would step up and give us a reason for keeping him around all of last year.  We'll see what happens.   I do want to see Miller back in the lineup, i was pissed last year when he got benched.   We went from a solid oline to crap in one season and took a solid RG and pretty much ruined him.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Newhouse?   That's cringeworthy. I was kind of hoping that Connor McDermott would step up and give us a reason for keeping him around all of last year.  We'll see what happens.   I do want to see Miller back in the lineup, i was pissed last year when he got benched.   We went from a solid oline to crap in one season and took a solid RG and pretty much ruined him.   

 

Looks like Miller ate his way onto the bench last year and dieted/exercised his way back toward the field this year.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may be right.   He's rededicated himself this year and I expect big things from him.  Contract year too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Canadian Bills Fan said:

 

 

So what they are saying then is that Mayfield is incapable of throwing for more than 56 yards in a game?

Fun fact:  Tyrod averaged 20 more yards passing: game in the nfl than Allen did in the Mountain West Conference. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guarantee once Mayfield gets a chance to throw the ball to Gordon and Landry, he's going to make it very hard to keep him on the bench.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is that position gets "re-examined " after they get blown off the field by the Saints in week 2 followed by a  10-7 loss to the Jets at home in week 3.  Taylor throws for 197 yard 1 TD against the Saints and  155 yrds  and no TD's against the Jets.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Fun fact:  Tyrod averaged 20 more yards passing: game in the nfl than Allen did in the Mountain West Conference. 

 

I don't know whether that fact is fun or not but I do know it's completely irrelevant.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, eball said:

 

I don't know whether that fact is fun or not but I do know it's completely irrelevant.

Is it?  He was calling out Taylor for his passing numbers and we replaced him with a guy who averaged less in a pretty whatever college conference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Is it?  He was calling out Taylor for his passing numbers and we replaced him with a guy who averaged less in a pretty whatever college conference.

 

Yeah, it's irrelevant and you know that.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

 

if tyrod can get his deep ball going with gordon he could have his best season yet.  that's where tyrod had his best year with us.  that still won't make him a top ten qb. but he might be able to go for 3500 yards and 20 plus tds which is the best qb the browns have had in decades

Browns have some really good players at the skills positions and they are fairly deep there too...

 

Their offense could be pretty good if they can mesh well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of these rookie QB's are ready to compete yet. They have to adjust to the big league first. This ain't college.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm telling you, Allen and Darnold will be the best QBs of this draft. Heck, I even think Rudolph might be the 3rd best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HT02 said:

My guess is that position gets "re-examined " after they get blown off the field by the Saints in week 2 followed by a  10-7 loss to the Jets at home in week 3.  Taylor throws for 197 yard 1 TD against the Saints and  155 yrds  and no TD's against the Jets.

 

Thats almost 4 times the production from last years home game against the Saints

 

9 for 18 56 yds and 1 int ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lfod said:

I have questions about Tyrod that I don't feel are answered completely. I have a good idea but I still have some doubts about my feelings on him. This season should secure everything and put it to rest for me personally. 

 

I am rooting against Tyrod. I hope he struggles to score points in Cleveland. I hope he is benched before the end of the season. I don't want to regret my team letting him go. I don't want him to out perform what my team has for QB and make me feel like letting him go was the wrong choice. I don't want to miss him as my QB. 

 

I don't want to sit through the endless debate because I won't be able to not participate. It is addictive. At least he was traded to the Browns so I think I'll get my way. I think it will take a miracle for that nightmare to happen. 

 

I can't root against TT.  He's too good a guy.

 

But I hope one of our QBs earns a Pro Bowl spot and gets us a playoff victory.  Then there will be no regret.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

JMO, but I believe that a big part of Taylor's conservativeness throwing the football at times was coached into him by Rex. That team was supposed to be all about defense and running the football, and not giving opponents a chance by turning the ball over to them. Taylor just needed to be "Alex Smith".

 

Unfortunately, only one of those facets worked out in the Bills' favor, and Taylor was going to have to do much more in order to keep up with opponents. 

 

I'm sure some of the conservativeness was on him, though. Not trying to absolve him or anything, just what I've always thought. If you channel your inner Rex (try not to barf), it would make sense to teach that into your QB, when you're expecting a top defense and rushing attack, especially after you've already witnessed what a turnover-happy QB can do to your defensively strong, good rushing team, in Mark Sanchez. Greg Roman certainly wasn't known for being very creative in the passing game, and IIRC Sanjay Lal was "in charge" of that aspect. Many of the passing concepts were based on flooding the field, essentially cutting it in half. 

 

Again, jmo on that. Taylor certainly wasn't great at anticipating routes, or throwing accurately for YAC, especially at the intermediate level. I liked what he brought to the team, on and off the field, but he clearly wasn't going to win any championships, and that's why you play. The Browns would be stupid to not start him, as they're not winning any championships any time soon anyways...

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Fun fact:  Tyrod averaged 20 more yards passing: game in the nfl than Allen did in the Mountain West Conference. 

If the excuse can be made time and again that Tyrod had no weapons, the excuse can also be made Allen really had no weapons. 

 

Any event it's still irrelevant. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eball said:

 

Yeah, it's irrelevant and you know that.

Completely disagree but irrespective your opinion.  I’m not just going to blindly pretend like every player the Bills have is awesome.

 

i wasn’t a Tyrod fan. I was ready to move on last year.  But I think people pretend like it’s so easier to replace him.  Fact is guys like Tyrod and Fitz, while limited, are having careers better than 90% of qbs who have ever played.  Tyrod, who was not as physically gifted, had a better college career in a better conference than Allen.  It’s not a given he will be better than Tyrod.  That said, even though Allen was far from the guy I wanted, it was time to move on.

2 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

If the excuse can be made time and again that Tyrod had no weapons, the excuse can also be made Allen really had no weapons. 

 

Any event it's still irrelevant. 

I hate excuses.  Tyrod wasn’t a good passing qb.  Allen for all his physical talent wasn’t a good passing qb in college (2 300 yard games).  

 

Franchise qbs elevate the players around them.  Tyrod didn’t do it.  Hopefully Allen will be better at it in the pros than he was in college.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paulus said:

I'm telling you, Allen and Darnold will be the best QBs of this draft. Heck, I even think Rudolph might be the 3rd best. 

Jackson still has the best 'game face' / glare.  😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yawn. It's mid June, only thing that's happened is a few practices in shorts. 

Let's see what happens in training camp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MURPHD6 said:

I agree with the article, and the idea of Cleveland bringing in a new coach next year. Baker's skill set dictates a system designed specifically for him. 

 

So Hue is a dead man walking? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

 

So Hue is a dead man walking? 

At 1-31, it's a wonder one of the Dawg Pound hasn't already taken matters into their own hands.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

At 1-31, it's a wonder one of the Dawg Pound hasn't already taken matters into their own hands.

Because they got two top 5 picks.  It actually worked out pretty good for them (though I may have taken Darnold and Chubb).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Completely disagree but irrespective your opinion.  I’m not just going to blindly pretend like every player the Bills have is awesome.

 

i wasn’t a Tyrod fan. I was ready to move on last year.  But I think people pretend like it’s so easier to replace him.  Fact is guys like Tyrod and Fitz, while limited, are having careers better than 90% of qbs who have ever played.  Tyrod, who was not as physically gifted, had a better college career in a better conference than Allen.  It’s not a given he will be better than Tyrod.  That said, even though Allen was far from the guy I wanted, it was time to move on.

I hate excuses.  Tyrod wasn’t a good passing qb.  Allen for all his physical talent wasn’t a good passing qb in college (2 300 yard games).  

 

Franchise qbs elevate the players around them.  Tyrod didn’t do it.  Hopefully Allen will be better at it in the pros than he was in college.

These are great points. I think most rational people agree with you. Tyrod is an NFL starter though some folks on this board talk like he could not even play high school ball. Yes, his passing game could have been improved, but he made up for some of that with his legs. Yes you can upgrade from him, but you can also get much worse. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×