Report: Baker Mayfield not ready to compete with Tyrod Taylor

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

As a 4 sport varsity athlete and college football player , imo baseball was the hardest sport I ever played 

yes, you get some crazy stories like the one you mentioned but it is very hard to hit a 90+ mph fastball and world class curve

i definitely respect baseball players

True, and Charles Barkley claims he played a game black out drunk (thought he was traded to the Lakers that morning), so any sport is replete with stories like that.

Ken Stabler was apparently hungover every NFL Sunday

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I know one 6th round pick sucks - he sucks air out of balls.

that's good hustle Limeaid.

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

And I thought he only looked bad because he was a southpaw.

Never saw him play, I thought he was supposed to be the Raiders best quarterback in their franchise from back in the evil Raiders days no?

12 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I could have but everybody has different definitions of a franchise QB... my definition would be is he able to take your team to the playoffs... I think their is a big difference between elite QB and a Franchise QB

There are only a handful of elite QBs, but a guy like Andy Dalton who has been a 7 year starter is a franchise QB... though a lower -mid level one

TT is definitely one of the best 32 QBs Alive and that’s why he’s still employed 

I get it, but I think the point several are making is you were effectively down the road towards bollixing the definition of "starting QB" the same way "franchise QB" has been bollixed.  The definition of starting QB seems relatively straightforward....guy who starts the majority of the games at QB for his team, barring injury.

Now if we want to bollix that and say "oh no, true starters can get their team to the playoffs, there are only 15-20 of 'em, not 32", we're now in the land of "everyone has a different definition of NFL starter", where guys who are actually starters for their team, like perhaps Tannehill and Bortles, aren't starters - maybe even guys who in the past have taken their teams to playoffs or championships, like Dalton and Flacco and Eli Manning, aren't starters.

I understand what you're trying to say, I think, but using Starter instead of Franchise QB doesn't add clarity, IMO.

13 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

that's good hustle Limeaid.

Never saw him play, I thought he was supposed to be the Raiders best quarterback in their franchise from back in the evil Raiders days no?

Yes he was.  However, he always 'looked' awkward with the left handed delivery.  A subjective judgment on my part, but quite a few contemporaries agreed with me.  I'll bet we could have generated 15 to 20 pages here at TSW debating Snake's merits / faults.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Clarity

11 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Yes he was.  However, he always 'looked' awkward with the left handed delivery.  A subjective judgment on my part, but quite a few contemporaries agreed with me.  I'll bet we could have generated 15 to 20 pages here at TSW debating Snake's merits / faults.

I was just watching a "top 10 most forgotten plays" video which is where I found that out about Ken Stabler. It's plays that likely win a team a superbowl or conference championships followed up by another tremendous play by the other team that erases the legacy that could have been.

Ken Stabler ran like a demon for a 30 yard TD run in his first start (in the playoffs). He looked so fast, everybody on the Raiders was saying he was too lazy to jog, let alone make a Vick-like scramble. So it was a pretty good example haha, Stabler will never be known as actually being a good running quarterback in clutch time.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I get it, but I think the point several are making is you were effectively down the road towards bollixing the definition of "starting QB" the same way "franchise QB" has been bollixed.  The definition of starting QB seems relatively straightforward....guy who starts the majority of the games at QB for his team, barring injury.

Now if we want to bollix that and say "oh no, true starters can get their team to the playoffs, there are only 15-20 of 'em, not 32", we're now in the land of "everyone has a different definition of NFL starter", where guys who are actually starters for their team, like perhaps Tannehill and Bortles, aren't starters - maybe even guys who in the past have taken their teams to playoffs or championships, like Dalton and Flacco and Eli Manning, aren't starters.

I understand what you're trying to say, I think, but using Starter instead of Franchise QB doesn't add clarity, IMO.

I understand that... I could’ve used better verbiage because my point was the NFL is lacking in true Franchise QBs... sure, you are right all 32 teams have a “starter” but how many of them have their jobs secured? The last 5-10 are revolving doors

You brought up guys like Flacco and Dalton and Eli... none of them are elite but all of them are / were Franchise QBs

We had guys like Bryce Petty starting and Blaine Gabbert and Trevor Simian by week 17... those are the guys who i talk about when I say starters not starting caliber...

Even Tannehill is a 7 year starting veteran, he is much better than the 3 I named... 

Franchise QB was definitely the term I shoulda used and their are definitely a handful of teams still searching for 1... some for years

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I understand that... I could’ve used better verbiage because my point was the NFL is lacking in true Franchise QBs... sure, you are right all 32 teams have a “starter” but how many of them have their jobs secured? The last 5-10 are revolving doors

You brought up guys like Flacco and Dalton and Eli... none of them are elite but all of them are / were Franchise QBs

We had guys like Bryce Petty starting and Blaine Gabbert and Trevor Simian by week 17... those are the guys who i talk about when I say starters not starting caliber...

Even Tannehill is a 7 year starting veteran, he is much better than the 3 I named... 

Franchise QB was definitely the term I shoulda used and their are definitely a handful of teams still searching for 1... some for years

...nicely done (as usual) 716.......it typifies the pathetic "state of the QB position" over the last decade+......other than a handful, "garbage in...garbage out.." comes to mind......look at the list of 1st rounders over the last 10+ years....most would NOT even be UDFA's yesteryear....and at this juncture, I'm not even sure if a universally acceptable definition of a "franchise QB" exists.....as Steve Young (yup, HIM) eloquently stated, "more collegiate QB's fail versus succeed in the NFL due to the speed and complexity of the game at this level".....cannot argue that IMO....so despite their pick selections, Baker, Sam D, Josh A, Josh R, et al are all unproven question marks at this level......hell for all we know, a guy like Lauletta (JUST AN EXAMPLE-stay calm) trumps them all.....stay tuned.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...nicely done (as usual) 716.......it typifies the pathetic "state of the QB position" over the last decade+......other than a handful, "garbage in...garbage out.." comes to mind......look at the list of 1st rounders over the last 10+ years....most would NOT even be UDFA's yesteryear....and at this juncture, I'm not even sure if a universally acceptable definition of a "franchise QB" exists.....as Steve Young (yup, HIM) eloquently stated, "more collegiate QB's fail versus succeed in the NFL due to the speed and complexity of the game at this level".....cannot argue that IMO....so despite their pick selections, Baker, Sam D, Josh A, Josh R, et al are all unproven question marks at this level......hell for all we know, a guy like Lauletta (JUST AN EXAMPLE-stay calm) trumps them all.....stay tuned.....

Exactly.

College coaches don’t groom their QBs to be successful in the NFL...

they groom them to be good college QBs and win them games

The speed and complexity of the NFL game is unmatched and nobody knows for certain how player xyz will react when the bullets start flying

Being an NFL QB is the toughest sports job in the world. Jim Kelly spoiled us

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Exactly.

College coaches don’t groom their QBs to be successful in the NFL...

they groom them to be good college QBs and win them games

The speed and complexity of the NFL game is unmatched and nobody knows for certain how player xyz will react when the bullets start flying

Being an NFL QB is the toughest sports job in the world. Jim Kelly spoiled us

...MAJOR source of irritation for me is that the smug NFL has no minor league system.......look at MLB or NHL(don't know much about the NBA) and the substantial depth of their minor league systems......more kids employed, ability for callups and demotions, etc.....sure their seasons are longer (80+ games) but I'd bet the NFL has the most lucrative TV contracts...but they do not want to spend the money and now colleges are no longer going to be their minor league system gratis....colleges focus on whatever brand of football brings excitement to the game, puts butts in the seats and leads to a mega millions bowl game, making boosters happy happy......if it transitions into NFL careers, so be it...if not, oh well.....feel bad for the kids who see it as the road to their lifelong dream and do not get a chance or do and sign their contract with an "X" because of their faux degree....

21 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Taylor is a good quality starting NFL QB........  

You spelled poor wrong.      

On 6/25/2018 at 2:51 PM, John from Riverside said:

I cant stand it when ppl say he sucks either.....he is not a franchise guy but "suck"

Just lazy broke thinking

He sucks.    That’s pretty official by now. 

60 yard games, benched for Petey, 3 point playoff game.      That’s pretty much the definition of suck.       

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...MAJOR source of irritation for me is that the smug NFL has no minor league system.......look at MLB or NHL(don't know much about the NBA) and the substantial depth of their minor league systems......more kids employed, ability for callups and demotions, etc.....sure their seasons are longer (80+ games) but I'd bet the NFL has the most lucrative TV contracts...but they do not want to spend the money and now colleges are no longer going to be their minor league system gratis....colleges focus on whatever brand of football brings excitement to the game, puts butts in the seats and leads to a mega millions bowl game, making boosters happy happy......if it transitions into NFL careers, so be it...if not, oh well.....feel bad for the kids who see it as the road to their lifelong dream and do not get a chance or do and sign their contract with an "X" because of their faux degree....

Much higher chance at injury in the NFL.  Players break easily, it's hard to even transition from college to pros.  NFL owners don't want to wear down their players before they even take an NFL snap.  Imagine if Rosen had to play AAA ball...just one solid shot to the head and he might not even ever suit up as a Card.

Edited by The Red King
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

You spelled poor wrong.      

60 yard games, benched for Petey, 3 point playoff game.      That’s pretty much the definition of suck.       

Actually no....that is YOUR definition of suck....while conveniently leaving out all of the good play he has given us over the years of this time.

Someone with an agenda would concentrate on the worst stat....that is you Ryan and nothing else.   That is you Ryan.

Trust me......we are going to see some bad QB play at times this year no matter if one of these QBs ultimately ends up being better.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

You spelled poor wrong.      

Simple troll.

• Thank you (+1) 2

13 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Actually no....that is YOUR definition of suck....while conveniently leaving out all of the good play he has given us over the years of this time.

Someone with an agenda would concentrate on the worst stat....that is you Ryan and nothing else.   That is you Ryan.

Trust me......we are going to see some bad QB play at times this year no matter if one of these QBs ultimately ends up being better.

Wait so is Teddy KGB really RyanLBillz