Report: Baker Mayfield not ready to compete with Tyrod Taylor

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Someone a few years back pointed out here that in an "open competition" pre-season, a veteran will almost always beat out a rookie.  They know more about learning an NFL offense, they know more about recognizing what the defense is doing, they'll make more of the plays the coach expects them to make.

It's the reason Vic Carucci claimed Matt Cassel would win the starting job over Tyrod three years ago.  He hung onto that until the opening game.

I still say this training camp comes down to whether or not McD "trusts" Allen not to make huge mistakes, because he can do things Nate and AJ can only dream of doing with his arm.

4 minutes ago, eball said:

It's the reason Vic Carucci claimed Matt Cassel would win the starting job over Tyrod three years ago.  He hung onto that until the opening game.

I still say this training camp comes down to whether or not McD "trusts" Allen not to make huge mistakes, because he can do things Nate and AJ can only dream of doing with his arm.

Technically Vic was right as Cassel did start the opening game at qb.

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Tyrod has established himself as an NFL starting QB with 3 seasons starting under his belt. And his conservative, protect the football style of play is something I think you'll find historically that NFL coaches love. 

I’d assume 80 % of the coaches think he’s a flaming bag of poop.   

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000887053/Patriots-vs-Bills-highlights-Week-13

This article is comical!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2782070-tyrod-taylor-isnt-browns-anointed-savior-but-he-may-be-just-what-they-need?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Forgive me if someone already posted it....at the very least I didn't start a new thread!!!!

My one main complaint with TT - not once did he ever led a come back win of note - NOT.  ONCE.  A great game manager but not a QB who in the waning mins fo the 4th qtr put the fear of any god in any ones hearts.....cept maybe Bills fans......

On June 23, 2018 at 10:19 AM, billsfan89 said:

You have to be a moron to think that where a player is drafted is a reflection of how good or bad a player is. The Bills were trotted out some pretty terrible QB's for 15 years before Tyrod got here. A middling starter like Tyrod looked like a world beater compared to the EJ Manuels, Fitz (outside of that half-season where Fitz was good), Trent Edwards, JP Losmans and past his prime Drew Bledsoe (Outside of that half-season where Drew was good) of the world. 

So in 15 seasons the team got exactly 2 good half seasons of QB play and the rest of their play out of the QB position was pretty horrendous. So when a QB came along and was pretty decent for a few seasons it made him look like a world beater just because what came before him was such trash. 

I like Allen's long-term prospects better than I like Tyrod's so I am glad they moved on. But there will be some short-term pain at QB due to Tyrod being gone, we will be much worse off at QB in 2018 as AJ and Peterman aren't inspiring a lot of confidence and Allen is a bit of a longer-term project. 

What the hell are you talking about??? Do you really think that the millions of dollars spent on evaluating players entering the draft, and the people who spend their professional lives doing the evaluation have no idea what they're doing???

You may want to rethink that bolded statement!

On 6/23/2018 at 12:57 AM, The Red King said:

It doesn't have to be one or the other.  Good lord.

I am getting sick of TT supporters thinking that anyone who doesn't support him must think he's terrible.  And I'm sick of TT detractors thinking anyone who says he isn't terrible believes he's an outstanding QB.  There is a middle ground and some people, like me, are there.  I think Tyrod has his positives and negatives.  I think he was a good QB for the Bills, but it was obvious last season the team finally outgrew him.  They finally needed more then he could provide.  I think he is a perfect fit in Cleveland right now.  His ability to not make mistakes provides a stability that, for the Browns, outweighs Tyrod's inability/unwillingness to throw deep.  Tyrod can take them to 4-6 wins which, after 1-15 and 0-16 would be quite well received.  By the time the team outgrows Tyrod, Mayfield will be ready to go.

I am just sick of the "If yer not for us, yer 'gainst us!" attitude here.  Not everyone is a TT supporter or detractor.

I agree except he used to throw deep.  Deep ball appeared one of his best attributes when he  became starter.

Edited by Limeaid
typo
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/23/2018 at 3:04 PM, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

News flash:  TT is no longer a Buffalo Bill.

There is a Browns board somewhere for those wishing to talk about the strengths and weaknesses of TT.

When does the season start again??

Make sure you add that to all of the other non-Bills topics to be ignored as well.

16 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

I’d assume 80 % of the coaches think he’s a flaming bag of poop.   

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000887053/Patriots-vs-Bills-highlights-Week-13

That would appear to be a poor assumption.

17 hours ago, eball said:

Allen is going to make huge mistakes.  It's what rookies do.

I think there are other factors at play, such as how well/quickly Allen learns the system and the playbook, and how well he is progressing at reading a D and understanding what his options are give what the D is doing.

It's my impression, based on very little - body language during interviews and the like - that Peterman is the furthest along right now at understanding the playbook and what he's supposed to do given the playcall and what he sees from the D.  The question is, where will he be when 1) AJ has 6 weeks to power-study and catch up 2) everyone has pads on and is playing faster.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That would appear to be a poor assumption.

Which coaches besides 1-31 Hue would sway the number? 

Theres too much film out there of Taylor embarassing himself with terrible passing performances. 

Edited by Teddy KGB

30 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Theres too much film out there of Taylor embarassing himself with terrible passing performances. 

Cleveland knew exactly what they were getting when they traded for Taylor. They wanted a veteran qb who can protect the ball and be a place holder for the rookie qb they were going to select with the first pick in the draft. He's far from being an elite qb or even fall in the category of being good. What the Browns got is a veteran qb who can be adequate enough to give this team a chance to compete. 

Cleveland is in the same situation as Buffalo is with respect to the qb situation. As soon as each team's highly drafted rookie qb is ready to play he will replace the current placeholder qb. 

Last year the Browns didn't win a game. If they would have had adequate qb play that Taylor can provide they could have won at least four games last year. That's why they went out and got him, even if it is only as a short term starter. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

That's why they went out and got him, even if it is only as a short term starter. 

Does Cleveland have an afternoon sports radio call in show where the host/hosts can whine/whinge about this situation?  It seems only fitting.

On 6/23/2018 at 9:52 AM, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

Bad news for all the people saying Mayfield was one of the more pro ready QBs. If he can't beat out Tyrod that's a bad start.

I completely disagree with this.  Tyrod is a pro's pro and experience counts for a lot in his case.  I get it, he will never be a true franchise QB but I am not the least bit surprised he would be the better option to start 2018 for the Browns.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

There's also a lot of film out there of Taylor doing good things as a QB.  There's a lot of space between "think he's The Man at QB" and "think he's a (extreme pejorative)"   I'll start with our coaches, while they decided to move on, they've made it pretty clear they felt he did a number of positive things.  It was also reported that at least three other teams made serious trade offers for Tyrod, although less than the Browns offered.

I expect you know all this, and are just arguing an extreme position to be provocative.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I expect you know all this, and are just arguing an extreme position to be provocative.

They're just trying to be 'The McLaughlin Group' of internet football message boards.  Hey, as moderator, wouldn't that make you McLaughlin?!

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's also a lot of film out there of Taylor doing good things as a QB.  There's a lot of space between "think he's The Man at QB" and "think he's a (extreme pejorative)"   I'll start with our coaches, while they decided to move on, they've made it pretty clear they felt he did a number of positive things.  It was also reported that at least three other teams made serious trade offers for Tyrod, although less than the Browns offered.

There is another aspect to Cleveland's acquisition of Taylor that some people aren't considering. It was nearly a universal given that the Browns were going to use the first pick in the draft on a qb. The Brown have been in this situation before when they selected Tim Couch with the first pick in his draft year. After undergoing the mistake of immediately exposing the top picked qb when he wasn't ready to start it is apparent that they learned something about handling a young qb. Kizer is another high round qb selection that the Browns put on the field before he was ready. It didn't promote his development----it damaged his development.  Without question playing qbs before they are ready to play were a major factor why both of them failed. Both qbs took a physical battering and both were overwhelmed.

I have been a critic of Taylor but what can't be denied is that he is a high character guy with a tremendous work ethic. That is the type of player and person that you would want Mayfield to emulate and be an understudy to.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/18/2018 at 11:23 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

I don't mean to rip the scab off the Great TT Debate, but the bottom line is that TT is a serviceable NFL QB who can win games in this league with a fair to middlin' supporting cast.  I think Cleveland will be happy to win 5-6 games this year and I think TT is definitely able to do that for them.  He might not have been our "Franchise QB" or our "QB of the Future" but he is a QB who can win some games for a team and that's all Cleveland is looking for.  I wish TT the best of luck.

Preach brutha. He'll be in the league as long as he wants to. As a bad to mediocre starter, or one of the best backups. His career is destined to be a shorter version of Fitzpatspicks

.. which is awesome for a 6th round pick. I get triggered when people say he sucks. He's only one of the top 40 quarterbacks in the world. He must suck right.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Preach brutha. He'll be in the league as long as he wants to. As a bad to mediocre starter, or one of the best backups. His career is destined to be a shorter version of Fitzpatspicks

.. which is awesome for a 6th round pick. I get triggered when people say he sucks. He's only one of the top 40 quarterbacks in the world. He must suck right.

If you're using the rest of the world to evaluate the level of talent in the NFL, then not a single player who plays in the NFL sucks.