Jump to content
Domdab99

Report: Baker Mayfield not ready to compete with Tyrod Taylor

Recommended Posts

Not surprising.  Tyrod was brought in to provide consistency and stability to a train-wreck of a team.  TT doesn't lose games by making mistakes, and doesn't win them with big plays.  He may be mediocre, baseline, but right now that stability is more important to Cleveland.  By the time the Browns outgrow Tyrod, Mayfield will be ready.  This is why they traded for TT in the first place.

  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn't much of a story. Two months out from the draft, he still has a lot to learn. Like Red King said, TT was brought in to be a solid stopgap. Never expected Mayfield to start right away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't mean to rip the scab off the Great TT Debate, but the bottom line is that TT is a serviceable NFL QB who can win games in this league with a fair to middlin' supporting cast.  I think Cleveland will be happy to win 5-6 games this year and I think TT is definitely able to do that for them.  He might not have been our "Franchise QB" or our "QB of the Future" but he is a QB who can win some games for a team and that's all Cleveland is looking for.  I wish TT the best of luck.

 

 

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Mayfield was in a spread based system. Taylor has 3 years of starting experience in a pro-offense, and like him or not, he made the playoffs last year. I can't think of a single example of a rookie qb coming from a spread system beating out a starter who had made the playoffs the previous year. This was expected.

Edited by MURPHD6
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

Mayfield was in a spread based system. Taylor has 3 years of starting experience in a pro-offense, and like him or not, he made the playoffs last year. I can't think of a single example of a rookie qb coming from a spread system beating out a starter who had made the playoffs the previous year. This was expected.

 

Agreed.  I still am amazed that they took him #1 overall.  The learning curve for this kid is going to be huge, plus he’s a tiny man by NFL QB standards.  I will be astonished if he becomes a bonadied franchise guy.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

 

Agreed.  I still am amazed that they took him #1 overall.  The learning curve for this kid is going to be huge, plus he’s a tiny man by NFL QB standards.  I will be astonished if he becomes a bonadied franchise guy.

I agree with the article, and the idea of Cleveland bringing in a new coach next year. Baker's skill set dictates a system designed specifically for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

This isn't much of a story. Two months out from the draft, he still has a lot to learn. Like Red King said, TT was brought in to be a solid stopgap. Never expected Mayfield to start right away.

 

Seems like something most would have said would describe Josh Allen at this point, yet he's still very much competing for the #1 job, unlike Mayfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

AJ is no Tyrod.

 

Yeah , he can actually make plays in the pocket.

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have questions about Tyrod that I don't feel are answered completely. I have a good idea but I still have some doubts about my feelings on him. This season should secure everything and put it to rest for me personally. 

 

I am rooting against Tyrod. I hope he struggles to score points in Cleveland. I hope he is benched before the end of the season. I don't want to regret my team letting him go. I don't want him to out perform what my team has for QB and make me feel like letting him go was the wrong choice. I don't want to miss him as my QB. 

 

I don't want to sit through the endless debate because I won't be able to not participate. It is addictive. At least he was traded to the Browns so I think I'll get my way. I think it will take a miracle for that nightmare to happen. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm no expert but I'm guessing there's a reason AJ was the only one standing when the music stopped playing.

I'm sure there's a reason we didn't trade Tyrod for less than a 3rd too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I have questions about Tyrod that I don't feel are answered completely. I have a good idea but I still have some doubts about my feelings on him. This season should secure everything and put it to rest for me personally. 

 

I am rooting against Tyrod. I hope he struggles to score points in Cleveland. I hope he is benched before the end of the season. I don't want to regret my team letting him go. I don't want him to out perform what my team has for QB and make me feel like letting him go was the wrong choice. I don't want to miss him as my QB. 

 

I don't want to sit through the endless debate because I won't be able to not participate. It is addictive. At least he was traded to the Browns so I think I'll get my way. I think it will take a miracle for that nightmare to happen. 

 

Justified or not, TT had zero faith in our receivers to make a play, and as a result never took a chance.  As a result, the Tyrod you see in Cleveland is not the Tyrod you'd get if he stayed in Buffalo.  Even if TT outperforms the Buffalo QBs this year I won't regret trading him because TT on the 2018 Bills would have resembled the 2017 outing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I have questions about Tyrod that I don't feel are answered completely. I have a good idea but I still have some doubts about my feelings on him. This season should secure everything and put it to rest for me personally. 

 

I am rooting against Tyrod. I hope he struggles to score points in Cleveland. I hope he is benched before the end of the season. I don't want to regret my team letting him go. I don't want him to out perform what my team has for QB and make me feel like letting him go was the wrong choice. I don't want to miss him as my QB. 

 

I don't want to sit through the endless debate because I won't be able to not participate. It is addictive. At least he was traded to the Browns so I think I'll get my way. I think it will take a miracle for that nightmare to happen. 

I completely understand what you're saying, and in some ways, I feel the same. But, to be honest, I'm rooting for Tyrod. I was a Tyrod fan while he was here. He was fun to watch when he was good, which, admittedly, was not often enough. But, I loved his athleticism, and the way he extended plays, and I loved his attitude. And, I always wanted him to be better. He's got some good weapons in Cleveland this year. I would love to see him lose to the Bills in the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, The Red King said:

 

Justified or not, TT had zero faith in our receivers to make a play, and as a result never took a chance.  As a result, the Tyrod you see in Cleveland is not the Tyrod you'd get if he stayed in Buffalo.  Even if TT outperforms the Buffalo QBs this year I won't regret trading him because TT on the 2018 Bills would have resembled the 2017 outing.

This is very true. Although, he didn't have a huge number of opportunities to throw to, or build a rapport with Benjamin.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I completely understand what you're saying, and in some ways, I feel the same. But, to be honest, I'm rooting for Tyrod. I was a Tyrod fan while he was here. He was fun to watch when he was good, which, admittedly, was not often enough. But, I loved his athleticism, and the way he extended plays, and I loved his attitude. And, I always wanted him to be better. He's got some good weapons in Cleveland this year. I would love to see him lose to the Bills in the playoffs.

I think he might hit his ceiling this year, and it could be higher than what his ceiling was in Buffalo. Hue Jackson is cettainly betting his job on it. With that said, even if he has a great year, he's getting to the age where his running ability will begin to decrease, which is why no one wants to sign him long term. So I wouldn't lose it, if he bounces back and outplays everyone on the Bills Roster. Vince Young and RGIII both had great seasons, but neither sustained their level of performance long term.

Edited by MURPHD6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

 

Seems like something most would have said would describe Josh Allen at this point, yet he's still very much competing for the #1 job, unlike Mayfield.

 

 

They're both still theoretically competing to start the first week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

 

 

They're both still theoretically competing to start the first week.

 

Except Mayfield is not ready, via this report, while Allen has been earning lots of praise from media, teammates and coaches.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The source of this report is the opinion of a local sports reporter so I would take it with a grain of salt.  Of course if I was a Browns fan I'd pry be flipping out that we just drafted another Johnny Football.  It should be a fun Hard Knocks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mayfield was the QB I wanted in the draft. With that being said, he wasn’t worthy of the 1st overall pick. The Browns should have drafted Darnold

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MURPHD6 said:

Mayfield was in a spread based system. Taylor has 3 years of starting experience in a pro-offense, and like him or not, he made the playoffs last year. I can't think of a single example of a rookie qb coming from a spread system beating out a starter who had made the playoffs the previous year. This was expected.

Big Ben did it way back 15 years ago.  He came out of  Ohio from  a spread Offense and then took the team to the playoffs

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

 

Except Mayfield is not ready, via this report, while Allen has been earning lots of praise from media, teammates and coaches.

and criticism too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Steve Billieve said:

I'm no expert but I'm guessing there's a reason AJ was the only one standing when the music stopped playing.

I'm sure there's a reason we didn't trade Tyrod for less than a 3rd too.

 

 

Is any part of that the fact the Browns were willing to trade a 2nd and a 3rd for AJ less than 6 months before?  More draft capital than they traded for TT.

4 hours ago, Lfod said:

I have questions about Tyrod that I don't feel are answered completely. I have a good idea but I still have some doubts about my feelings on him. This season should secure everything and put it to rest for me personally. 

 

I am rooting against Tyrod. I hope he struggles to score points in Cleveland. I hope he is benched before the end of the season. I don't want to regret my team letting him go. I don't want him to out perform what my team has for QB and make me feel like letting him go was the wrong choice. I don't want to miss him as my QB. 

 

I don't want to sit through the endless debate because I won't be able to not participate. It is addictive. At least he was traded to the Browns so I think I'll get my way. I think it will take a miracle for that nightmare to happen. 

 

 

I do not really care - I think similar to here - TT will be hard to beat out because he makes so few mistakes - so he does not lose games.  The Browns will be hard pressed  next year to remove that from the lineup to replace with a rookie.

 

The worst part for the Browns is that I do not think the GM feels Hue is the long term answer and would have replaced him if the owner did not open his mouth;  therefore I think that you are teaching Mayfield a system and preparing him and next year a new coaching system come in to replace that and try to design a system around his college strengths that he has started to grow out of.

 

It will be an interesting couple of years for the Browns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Red King said:

 

Justified or not, TT had zero faith in our receivers to make a play, and as a result never took a chance.  As a result, the Tyrod you see in Cleveland is not the Tyrod you'd get if he stayed in Buffalo.  Even if TT outperforms the Buffalo QBs this year I won't regret trading him because TT on the 2018 Bills would have resembled the 2017 outing.

 

The tape on the Bills from the past three years debunks this commonly repeated opinion.  Receivers were open.  I don't hate Tyrod as a starting QB but there's no denying my frustration at (a) his unwillingness to make a throw with any risk attached to it, and (b) his consistent failure to put the ball in a position for his receivers to make YAC.

 

I expect the Browns to win 6-8 games this season, and Tyrod's ability to take care of the ball will be a big part of that.  I'm not disappointed the Bills moved on, regardless of what sort of QB play we get this year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×