Report: Baker Mayfield not ready to compete with Tyrod Taylor

7 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I just have a gut feeling that the team had a reason to move on from Tyrod, and that reason is progression. Taylor is not a traditional type QB. That's what the team wanted and I think they tried to get Tyrod to be more traditional but it didn't click into place. 

Tyrod can manage a football game and can make plays himself. He can also win football games leading an offence. I just think after 3 seasons you don't have progression then you move on. 

Cleveland might have the talent and game plan to allow Tyrod success. I'm going to have to see Tyrod airing it out all season to believe it. I think he will be a check down run it type QB still. The sandlot guy. 

Not with Josh Gordon on the field along with the other weapons on the team. 

38 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I just have a gut feeling that the team had a reason to move on from Tyrod, and that reason is progression. Taylor is not a traditional type QB. That's what the team wanted and I think they tried to get Tyrod to be more traditional but it didn't click into place. 

Tyrod can manage a football game and can make plays himself. He can also win football games leading an offence. I just think after 3 seasons you don't have progression then you move on. 

Cleveland might have the talent and game plan to allow Tyrod success. I'm going to have to see Tyrod airing it out all season to believe it. I think he will be a check down run it type QB still. The sandlot guy. 

The real reason: TT was never coach McD's guy. This staff gave TT a one year shot and did not like what they saw.

More of Rex's leftovers out the door.

What the final OC count get to with TT as QB?

Edited by Real McCoy

2 hours ago, JPP said:

pretty much all this......He wasnt and will not be successful here.....thats all its over time to move on........he will have receivers the bills wished they have had and an OC in Todd Gurley to boot.......the offence is built for success.....if he does good than good for him i say and if not well than all the backlash on him on these boards are confirmed.......I hope he does good but personally i really dont care too much about how another team does...only concerned about my Bills.......some people on here are going to spontaneously combust which will be funny to say the least......

Haley?

It'll be interesting to see what he does with TT.  Previously, when he's had a limited QB to deal with, it hasn't been pretty.  But maybe he's learned something.

I'm pretty sure I was the first one calling for BM to be drafted #1 overall - certainly the most persistent. Shocker! He's not able to take away the job from a starting, NFL QB that has been to a Pro Bowl, and led his team to the playoffs for the first time in more than a decade. Completely not concerned and happy to hear it.

Baker will start, and in 2019 he'll be named started to a team that went to the playoffs the year before.

And Buffalo fans will squirm, all year long while this post-Taylor iteration of the Bills leads in the NFL in turnovers and points allowed.

Meanwhile, Josh very likely will get rushed to become a starter for a team without wide receivers, a quality offensive line and ... by the time they turn over the keys to him this year ... a shell-shocked offensive unit used to turning over the ball so much it just snowballs. 

1 hour ago, Tyrod's friend said:

I'm pretty sure I was the first one calling for BM to be drafted #1 overall - certainly the most persistent. Shocker! He's not able to take away the job from a starting, NFL QB that has been to a Pro Bowl, and led his team to the playoffs for the first time in more than a decade. Completely not concerned and happy to hear it.

Baker will start, and in 2019 he'll be named started to a team that went to the playoffs the year before.

And Buffalo fans will squirm, all year long while this post-Taylor iteration of the Bills leads in the NFL in turnovers and points allowed.

Meanwhile, Josh very likely will get rushed to become a starter for a team without wide receivers, a quality offensive line and ... by the time they turn over the keys to him this year ... a shell-shocked offensive unit used to turning over the ball so much it just snowballs. 

Hmm, from 0-16 to playoffs in one year, stated as absolute, this is 100% going to happen, fact instead of "I believe...".  So...should your pred...wait, this isn't a prediction...should your guarantee fail to come true, will you still be here, apologizing for making such an outlandish claim?  Browns will make the playoffs, Bills will be absolute worst in the league in both turnovers and points allowed.  I have your guarantee correct, don't I?  ...or, are you psychic and already saw this outcome?  In which case, what are this weekend's winning lottery numbers?

...how long until training camp again?  Posts like this, people posting their opinion as if it were fact is really wearing me down.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Wait till the games matter and he is forced to play "QB"

Granted Tyrod's not a great QB by any stretch but this is such a dumb cliche. Coaches say the same thing about Aaron freaking Rodgers.. any quarterback that makes plays out of the pocket.. they're still playing quarterback. It's not like any defense is focused on making sure not to let Tyrod to run the freaking wildcat.

Silly cliches way too often repeated:

"We forced him (Bortles, Rodgers, Alex Smith, Cam Newton, Tyrod) to play QB"

this just means keeping the quarterback in the pocket and not being a rushing threat or extending plays

"The process"

Of what? Improving? We don't need a catch phrase to say we're trying to get better

"Belicheck is playing 3D chess"

He's not. He's a coach that doesn't overcomplicate things and has Tom Brady

"I want someone to throw the receiver open"

As opposed to throwing to open receivers? Throwing to your first read Deonte Thompson covered by Jalen Ramsay no matter how tight the coverage for like a 5% chance of completion?

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Haley?

It'll be interesting to see what he does with TT.  Previously, when he's had a limited QB to deal with, it hasn't been pretty.  But maybe he's learned something.

lol.....my bad....subconciously i must of also been thinking about the running back position as i wrote this....

22 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Granted Tyrod's not a great QB by any stretch but this is such a dumb cliche. Coaches say the same thing about Aaron freaking Rodgers.. any quarterback that makes plays out of the pocket.. they're still playing quarterback. It's not like any defense is focused on making sure not to let Tyrod to run the freaking wildcat.

this just means keeping the quarterback in the pocket and not being a rushing threat or extending plays

"The process"

Of what? Improving? We don't need a catch phrase to say we're trying to get better

As opposed to throwing to open receivers? Throwing to your first read Deonte Thompson covered by Jalen Ramsay no matter how tight the coverage for like a 5% chance of completion?

I have only proof of it being said of Tyrod.

On 7/6/2018 at 2:00 PM, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

"The process"

It wasn't fans on boards saying this. "The game plan was to make [Tyrod] a quarterback," is what the Ravens said after holding the Bills offense to seven points in 2016. And we heard it from several other teams. It may be a cliche at this point, but so is "Look both ways before you cross the street." Some cliches are cliches because they're dead on target. And this is one

Oh, and find us somewhere where teams said they wanted to make Aaron Rodgers be a quarterback. Please. They may try strategies like trying to keep Rodgers in the pocket, but making Aaron Rodgers a QB is not something you'll hear a team claim was their game plan.

Oh, and that's more nonsense about Belichick. His defensive and offensive schemes are both complicated and multi-faceted. It's why they make a point of bringing in guys who are football smart. They have to be. Agreed that having Brady is huge but their defense has been a major part of their success over the years and a lot of that is scheme over talent.

And you may have something there in your last paragraph about throwing guys open. After all, if your first read is Deonte Thompson covered by Jalen Ramsey, you're likely doing a poor job figuring out what reads to make.

• Like (+1) 1

I see them as very improved, but playoffs seems like too much for 2018.

ANALYSIS
  • By Marc Sessler
  • Around the NFL Writer
The Browns bolstered the offense this season and welcome back Myles Garrett, giving Cleveland a sense of renewed hope, says Marc Sessler. Here are five reasons why the Browns will make the playoffs.

On 7/5/2018 at 10:50 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Haley?

I agree. I tend to believe that Haley is a vastly overrated OC who performs well with elite talent, who doesn’t? Additionally, he seems to wear out his welcome every place he goes. 

On 7/6/2018 at 12:24 AM, The Red King said:

Hmm, from 0-16 to playoffs in one year, stated as absolute, this is 100% going to happen, fact instead of "I believe...".  So...should your pred...wait, this isn't a prediction...should your guarantee fail to come true, will you still be here, apologizing for making such an outlandish claim?  Browns will make the playoffs, Bills will be absolute worst in the league in both turnovers and points allowed.  I have your guarantee correct, don't I?  ...or, are you psychic and already saw this outcome?  In which case, what are this weekend's winning lottery numbers?

...how long until training camp again?  Posts like this, people posting their opinion as if it were fact is really wearing me down.

Sorry to "wear you down". Blogs can be like that some time, but don't take them too seriously or you'll find other posters making comments about the quantity of sand in your panties. :)

To answer your question, I never fail to own up to my words. No matter what. Hence, my username doesn't pull any punches. And when I said that Baker would go 1 overall, I was unequivocal then too and people shouted me down. 

I'm feeling pretty good about my prediction on turnovers. Pretty good indeed; I'd feel better if this team would let Josh Allen start day 1, but Nate Peterman might just do the trick. Turnovers ... you know the funny thing about those turnovers. Makes life pretty hard on a defense - especially any defense that has a little age.

Yeah. I feel pretty good across the board. Tell you what, I'll bet I'm damned close.

22 hours ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Sorry to "wear you down". Blogs can be like that some time, but don't take them too seriously or you'll find other posters making comments about the quantity of sand in your panties. :)

To answer your question, I never fail to own up to my words. No matter what. Hence, my username doesn't pull any punches. And when I said that Baker would go 1 overall, I was unequivocal then too and people shouted me down. 

I'm feeling pretty good about my prediction on turnovers. Pretty good indeed; I'd feel better if this team would let Josh Allen start day 1, but Nate Peterman might just do the trick. Turnovers ... you know the funny thing about those turnovers. Makes life pretty hard on a defense - especially any defense that has a little age.

Yeah. I feel pretty good across the board. Tell you what, I'll bet I'm damned close.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, which is why I never state mine as fact, like you did.  You could be right, but we don't have crystal balls.  It wasn't your opinions that ground me down, just the fact you presented them as absolutes.

After a few of his performances during the season and the Jaguars playoff game I can easily see why any HC would try and upgrade. No excuses about WR's dropping passes or not having enough weapons on offense, their were plays that could've been made but Taylor lacks the passing skills to execute them. I think Taylor will start off 0-3 and the HC will be fired and the beginning of the Mayfield era will begin.

On 7/7/2018 at 5:31 AM, Thurman#1 said:

It wasn't fans on boards saying this. "The game plan was to make [Tyrod] a quarterback," is what the Ravens said after holding the Bills offense to seven points in 2016. And we heard it from several other teams. It may be a cliche at this point, but so is "Look both ways before you cross the street." Some cliches are cliches because they're dead on target. And this is one

Oh, and find us somewhere where teams said they wanted to make Aaron Rodgers be a quarterback. Please. They may try strategies like trying to keep Rodgers in the pocket, but making Aaron Rodgers a QB is not something you'll hear a team claim was their game plan.

Oh, and that's more nonsense about Belichick. His defensive and offensive schemes are both complicated and multi-faceted. It's why they make a point of bringing in guys who are football smart. They have to be. Agreed that having Brady is huge but their defense has been a major part of their success over the years and a lot of that is scheme over talent.

And you may have something there in your last paragraph about throwing guys open. After all, if your first read is Deonte Thompson covered by Jalen Ramsey, you're likely doing a poor job figuring out what reads to make.

Brah, your first line basically said it all.  Make him be a quarterback, which the jets also said when they destroyed us on thursday night last year, stuck in my craw something fierce.  looking back, the two seasons w rex where the o looked good, tyrod has some really good talent (oline was sick, sammy, woods, clay, percy harvin for a cup of coffee, shady gileesi and karlos at RB, that's a lot of talent) and it was a plodding run first gadget roman O, so he really wasn't asked to be a qb as much.  he hasn't "developed" because he doesn't have the ability at qb to develop, he's a great teammate and high level game manager, but he's just simply too limited.  he's a poor man's alex smith.

19 hours ago, The Red King said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, which is why I never state mine as fact, like you did.  You could be right, but we don't have crystal balls.  It wasn't your opinions that ground me down, just the fact you presented them as absolutes.

Yeah. I don't know any other way to do it.

If I try, it sounds in my ears like I'm  equivocating. Have a take, get behind and be forceful and let the chips fall where they may. If you are wrong, own it.

Cheers.