Report: Baker Mayfield not ready to compete with Tyrod Taylor

12 hours ago, PeterGriffin said:

I think we've seen Tyrods ceiling 3 years ago and the league knows how to play him now regardless of which team he is on. 

I think the Browns right now will be happy with 150 yards and 1 TD zero ints opposed to 200 yards 1 TD and 3 ints. 

I do anticipate the Browns growing impatient with no or very minimal production from Tyrod and Mayfield will be put in sooner than later.

I think you might be underestimating Jarvis Landry and the effect that he could have on Tyrod's numbers. Dude has put up numbers with a revolving cast of QBs and if he develops chemistry with Tyrod, look out. Landry will probably account for at least 1000 yards in the passing game and given his age he is a legitimate candidate to break out and top 1500 yards this year. If Landry gets his, and he probably will, there will be fewer sub 150 yard games. If he gets hurt maybe we see Mayfield sooner than later, but Landry is a legit sleeper and could be one of the top wrs in the league next year.

Edited by MURPHD6

Just now, MURPHD6 said:

I think you might be underestimating Jarvis Landry and the effect that he could have on Tyrod's numbers. Dude has put up numbers with a revolving cast of QBs and if he develops chemistry with Tyrod, look out. Landry will probably account for at least 1000 yards in the passing game and given his age he is a legitimate candidate to break out and top 1500 yards this year. If Landry gets his, and he probably will, there will be fewer sub 150 yard games.

I would bet a ton of money on Landry never having a 1,500 season.  That would mean he would have like 300 catches. 

20 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Yeah! My adblocker prevented the webpage from automatically playing video.  Or more precisely profootballtalk blocks me and that is exactly what I want. But if GM did not want him manhandles, why did he not just fire the 1-35 coach?

11 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

So what they are saying then is that Mayfield is incapable of throwing for more than 56 yards in a game?

You are from Canada so yards like dollars are always discounted but you do have better beer!

11 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

I guarantee once Mayfield gets a chance to throw the ball to Gordon and Landry, he's going to make it very hard to keep him on the bench.   

So you are saying Mayfield will not get a chance to throw to them in camp?

I hear the key to getting Gordon to catch is to tell him it is a big bag of weed.  He cannot get in trouble for smoking a football, right?

57 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would bet a ton of money on Landry never having a 1,500 season.  That would mean he would have like 300 catches. 

I would take that bet. He's only 25, had Jay Cutler and Tannehill throwing him the ball, and he's about to enter his prime with Mayfield waiting in the wings.He doesn't need 300 receptions to hit 1500 either, half that could do the job with a QB who throws a good deep ball. Dude has set records for production already, and he still has 3-4 seasons where he will be in his prime.

Edited by MURPHD6

We got the floor of Tyrod Taylor the past two seasons.    

Fortunately the floor was rarely turning the ball over.

He'll never be a franchise QB but put talent around him and he turns into a catalyst for big offensive production. 

There are some dudes in that Cleveland WR corps and nice stable of RB's.........I expect that offense will be fun to watch.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

When I click link I get message 'Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!' as I pasted.

The link is to the same story as the OP. It’s just a RT of the story from Evan Silva that Cowherd replied to, and then Baker responded. 

6 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

Seemed like it, and not saying he isnt.  If he was soley brought in to team BM how to be a good guy and good teammate then the Browns are in tons of trouble, as those are things that shouldt need to be taught at this level.  My point is that everyone knows BM will be starting sooner than later, so dont try to cover the real story with BS.  

There are ways to say this guy is a good teammate or good mentor or has helped me so much, and then there is football-washing that Mayfield just performed. That, to me, says TT really went far beyond what he was expected to do, kinda like Mayfield went far beyond what he was expected to say.

6 hours ago, PeterGriffin said:

yup, then the league figured him out. 

It doesn't seem like that hard a question : If Taylor is the disaster so many people yearn to believe, why did he play pretty well the only time the Bills put a good (not elite) offensive cast around him? That seems so simple, but ask and you hear every kind of nonsense. Let's take this thread alone : OldTimeAFLGuy is still selling his shtick Taylor lacks the "skill set" to throw downfield. But inquire of the old-timer why TT had one of the best long-games in the NFL when the Bills fielded a deep threat - and then you get deafening silence.

The Red King has this soulful theory it's just a "crisis of faith". Mercifully, this isn't a Garden of Gethsemane-style-thing, but lack of faith by Taylor in his receivers. About those receivers - rated one of the worst groups in the league last year - T.R.King has strangely little to say. But if faith is belief in the absence of evidence, then T.R.K. has it it spades. He believes (truly believes!!!) in all those wide receivers streaking free and clear every single play. Meanwhile, (back on home planet Earth) NetGenStats listed the Bills receivers as near league-bottom in getting separation. Of course faith can handle that fact, right?

But PeterGriffin has the most elegantly constructed nonsense of all : The league "figured Taylor out" at the exact same rate his offensive cast deteriorated. Two independent phenomena occurring in perfect sync, but having absolutely no relationship. Try disproving something that nebulous, huh?

It doesn't seem like that hard a question : If Taylor is the disaster so many people want to see, why did he play pretty well the only time the Bills put a good (not elite) offensive cast around him? Or for that matter, why shouldn't he play the same way when put in the same situation?

25 minutes ago, grb said:

It doesn't seem like that hard a question : If Taylor is the disaster so many people yearn to believe, why did he play pretty well the only time the Bills put a good (not elite) offensive cast around him? That seems so simple, but ask and you hear every kind of nonsense. Let's take this thread alone : OldTimeAFLGuy is still selling his shtick Taylor lacks the "skill set" to throw downfield. But inquire of the old-timer why TT had one of the best long-games in the NFL when the Bills fielded a deep threat - and then you get deafening silence.

The Red King has this soulful theory it's just a "crisis of faith". Mercifully, this isn't a Garden of Gethsemane-style-thing, but lack of faith by Taylor in his receivers. About those receivers - rated one of the worst groups in the league last year - T.R.King has strangely little to say. But if faith is belief in the absence of evidence, then T.R.K. has it it spades. He believes (truly believes!!!) in all those wide receivers streaking free and clear every single play. Meanwhile, (back on home planet Earth) NetGenStats listed the Bills receivers as near league-bottom in getting separation. Of course faith can handle that fact, right?

But PeterGriffin has the most elegantly constructed nonsense of all : The league "figured Taylor out" at the exact same rate his offensive cast deteriorated. Two independent phenomena occurring in perfect sync, but having absolutely no relationship. Try disproving something that nebulous, huh?

It doesn't seem like that hard a question : If Taylor is the disaster so many people want to see, why did he play pretty well the only time the Bills put a good (not elite) offensive cast around him? Or for that matter, why shouldn't he play the same way when put in the same situation?

Better yet: who tf cares about Cleveland’s bridge QB? 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, grb said:

I don't think Tyrod was a disaster. I don't think other people really feel Tyrod was that bad. They just pushing buttons. Tyrod is definitely a guy that can makes plays. If he can some how turn it up and make more plays he would definitely be a guy that you want for QB. 

It could be his surrounding cast was the fault. It may be that defensive coordinators might have figured him out. It might just be Rick Dennison was that terrible. I just know that at times the offense got shut down. A few times it was shut down entire games. 

So yes in games with Tyrod at QB exciting things happen. At times he can make it work. I think next season will just be more evidence to what he really is. A guy stalled out by circumstances or a guy who can't elevate or be deceptive in his game and was figured out by the NFL. 

I've already mentioned before that I take McDermotts side. It won't feel as good if somehow Tyrod turns up. 

Edited by Lfod

22 hours ago, Lfod said:

I have questions about Tyrod that I don't feel are answered completely. I have a good idea but I still have some doubts about my feelings on him. This season should secure everything and put it to rest for me personally. 

I am rooting against Tyrod. I hope he struggles to score points in Cleveland. I hope he is benched before the end of the season. I don't want to regret my team letting him go. I don't want him to out perform what my team has for QB and make me feel like letting him go was the wrong choice. I don't want to miss him as my QB. 

I don't want to sit through the endless debate because I won't be able to not participate. It is addictive. At least he was traded to the Browns so I think I'll get my way. I think it will take a miracle for that nightmare to happen. 

This is an incredibly brave confession. I, too, believe this malice lurks in the hearts of many Bills fans, though they are loath to admit it. 

1 hour ago, grb said:

You deal too much in absolutes.  Where did I say Buffalo had a good receiver corp?  Where did I say they were open every play...or most plays...or half the plays?  But the fact is, there were still a number of plays he had open receivers and never pulled the trigger.  With this corp of receivers I could wholley understand being cautious...but Tyrod took that too far.  Your reply makes it clear though, that you really didn't read what I typed.  Rather, you skimmed it, decided I was a Tyrod detractor, and reacted accordingly.  What you claimed I said/believed was utterly and completely false.  Please read my replies fully going forward.  Thank you.