Report: Baker Mayfield not ready to compete with Tyrod Taylor

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Browns have some really good players at the skills positions and they are fairly deep there too...

Their offense could be pretty good if they can mesh well.

...agree....and Hugh seems to be confident in TT.....maybe he can help the kid get to the next level of development with good coaching in a new environment, with new scheme, etc....certainly do NOT wish the kid ill will.....but if the offense stalls and a viable, threatening passing game, ESPECIALLY DOWNFIELD is non-existent, wasting skill positions talent could lead to Mayfield...sooner rather than later.....

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

At 1-31, it's a wonder one of the Dawg Pound hasn't already taken matters into their own hands.

Yes- it hard to understand what they are waiting for. I expect they are going to be one of the more talented rosters over the next few seasons with the picks and cap they’ve amassed 

40 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Quick question:  for everyone that said “this isnt at all surprising,” how many of you were saying that months ago? Probably none.

Tyrod was the worst starting QB in the NFL and Mayfield was already a better QB than Tyrod. That was the narrative. And not only Mayfield. Any of the QBs drafted in the first round were an instant upgrade. 

But now, now its not surprising. Ridiculous. 

I bet there were a few (the loudest ones), but I always believed that Taylor was going to start in Cleveland regardless of who they drafted, including Darnold. There were no Lucks or Mannings in the draft for them at #1 for anyone to really think that starting the rookie from day one would be a no-brainer. 

People ragged on Taylor for his downside, but I think most rational people see the total package and what he does bring to the table. That includes almost 3 full years as a starting, serviceable NFL QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

I guarantee once Mayfield gets a chance to throw the ball to Gordon and Landry, he's going to make it very hard to keep him on the bench.   

Usually when folks guarantee something  like this in sports,  it more likely than not doesn't come to pass

You guys have to understand Kizer was beyond terrible last year. Coming out of college I thought he was EJ Manuel 2.0. Turns out he was even worse! He threw 22 interceptions to 11 TDs. Not only was his passer rating the lowest out of 32 starters, it was a full 9 points lower than #31. He completed less than 54% of his passes.

The Browns are in no rush to start a rookie. Kizer was a total disaster and Mayfield comes from a spread system with mostly wide open receivers and great protection. By all accounts Tyrod is looking very good in practice and he is trusting his receivers. I don't think Mayfield will see the field at all this year unless Tyrod gets injured. Their offense is going to be pretty good. I could easily see them having a top 10 scoring offense.

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Which to me begs the question why didn't the Browns just get their coach this year?

Because the the owner was an idiot and would not keep his mouth shut - I believe if John Dorsey had been allowed to hire - Nagy would be coaching Cleveland rather than Chicago.  

Now they have Hue for the year and Todd Haley as the OC and probable heir apparent if they want an offensive coach.

It should be fun.

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You guys have to understand Kizer was beyond terrible last year. Coming out of college I thought he was EJ Manuel 2.0. Turns out he was even worse! He threw 22 interceptions to 11 TDs. Not only was his passer rating the lowest out of 32 starters, it was a full 9 points lower than #31. He completed less than 54% of his passes.

The Browns are in no rush to start a rookie. Kizer was a total disaster and Mayfield comes from a spread system with mostly wide open receivers and great protection. By all accounts Tyrod is looking very good in practice and he is trusting his receivers. I don't think Mayfield will see the field at all this year unless Tyrod gets injured. Their offense is going to be pretty good. I could easily see them having a top 10 scoring offense.

Wasn't Kizer Hue's hand picked QB?   That alone would have gotten him fired in my book.     I'm still wondering why Green Bay wanted him as a backup.  I mean Hundley is bad, but Kizer is worse, and I"m a ND fan

6 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Sounds about right, I still don't get why Dorsey kept Hue around to begin with.   Maybe he's waiting for a guy from the Andy Reid tree to be available or looking to snag someone that he couldn't get this year.   

It is on the owner - I think he wanted to pluck Nagy from the tree.

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

It is on the owner - I think he wanted to pluck Nagy from the tree.

I would agree with you there.   Nagy would have been my choice as well.   But if I were Dorsey that would have been covered in my interview.  If I'm the GM I have final say on who my HC is and only I have that power.  You hire me to manage a team, keep your owner hands off and let me manage it. 

4 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I would agree with you there.   Nagy would have been my choice as well.   But if I were Dorsey that would have been covered in my interview.  If I'm the GM I have final say on who my HC is and only I have that power.  You hire me to manage a team, keep your owner hands off and let me manage it. 

I agree and that may have been the talk before as he was hired, but then after the season the owner makes the statement Hue will be back and then doubled down on that during the playoffs.  

Sometimes things change if the person in power thinks it will reflect poorly on him and then others are left scrambling to make do and pick up the pieces.

• Like (+1) 1

Mayfield said on the ThomaHawk Show that Taylor has been an incredible mentor to him, and Mayfield is shocked that the Browns were able to get Taylor from the Bills for just a third-round draft pick.

“They traded a third-round pick to Tyrod just doesn’t make sense,” Mayfield said. “We got a lot more out of that than anybody else could. The guy that he is for this franchise, for all of our teammates is unbelievable. For me to watch him and learn him has been great. He sets the bar high, shows up, his work ethic, it’s a great situation for me to come into to have someone like that. It’s good for me.”

24 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

All of these quotes are so canned and contrived its rediculous.  What would he say?  That the guy he wants to replace is a total A$$hat and hasnt shown him squat?  Just pure stupidity  "What he means to this franchise..."  after a whopping few months he means that much?  Well if he means that much than youll never see the field Mayfield.

Cant wait for the season to begin so we can end the insanity and marketing pushes.

Just now, Behindenemylines said:

All of these quotes are so canned and contrived its rediculous.  What would he say?  That the guy he wants to replace is a total A$$hat and hasnt shown him squat?  Just pure stupidity  "What he means to this franchise..."  after a whopping few months he means that much?  Well if he means that much than youll never see the field Mayfield.

Cant wait for the season to begin so we can end the insanity and marketing pushes.

You can argue how great of a qb Tyrod is but he is a great dude.  

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You can argue how great of a qb Tyrod is but he is a great dude.  

Seemed like it, and not saying he isnt.  If he was soley brought in to team BM how to be a good guy and good teammate then the Browns are in tons of trouble, as those are things that shouldt need to be taught at this level.  My point is that everyone knows BM will be starting sooner than later, so dont try to cover the real story with BS.  

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...agree....and Hugh seems to be confident in TT.....maybe he can help the kid get to the next level of development with good coaching in a new environment, with new scheme, etc....certainly do NOT wish the kid ill will.....but if the offense stalls and a viable, threatening passing game, ESPECIALLY DOWNFIELD is non-existent, wasting skill positions talent could lead to Mayfield...sooner rather than later.....

Especially downfield, huh?

When Taylor actually had a downfield receiver he was one of the best long-ball throwers in the NFL. It wasn't that long ago; you should remember. TT averaged eight yards an attempt in 2015, which is an exceptional number for any year, any quarterback, any team. Exactly when did he waste "skill position talent" as a Bill ?!? When Watkins sat half a season, then ran on a broken left foot when he did play? When his receivers were Matthews & Benjamin just shy of crutches, Zay like a deer in the headlights, Holmes & Tate as warm bodies, and Deonte Thompson starring as the "deep threat"?!? Yeah. Taylor really wasted a lot of "skill position talent" there.

Perhaps you've forgotten: Taylor only had Watkins and Woods together 15 games over two years. When he did?  63.6% comp. 8.25 ypa. 27 td passes. 6 ints. Seems like Taylor didn't waste that "skill position talent" the limited time he had it on the field.

But - hey - entertaining thread. Probably lots of good quotes to bump once real games are being played.........

Edited by grb
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, grb said:

Especially downfield, huh?

When Taylor actually had a downfield receiver he was one of the best long-ball throwers in the NFL. It wasn't that long ago; you should remember. TT averaged eight yards an attempt in 2015, which is an exceptional number for any year, any quarterback, any team. Exactly when did he waste "skill position talent" as a Bill ?!? When Watkins sat half a season, then ran on a broken left foot when he did play? When his receivers were Matthews & Benjamin just shy of crutches, Zay like a deer in the headlights, Holmes & Tate as warm bodies, and Deonte Thompson starring as the "deep threat"?!? Yeah. Taylor really wasted a lot of "skill position talent" there.

Perhaps you've forgotten: Taylor only had Watkins and Woods together 15 games over two years. When he did?  63.6% comp. 8.25 ypa. 27 td passes. 6 ints. Seems like Taylor didn't waste that "skill position talent" the limited time he had it on the field.

But - hey - entertaining thread. Probably lots of good quotes to bump once real games are being played.........

yup, then the league figured him out. 

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Because the the owner was an idiot and would not keep his mouth shut - I believe if John Dorsey had been allowed to hire - Nagy would be coaching Cleveland rather than Chicago.  

Now they have Hue for the year and Todd Haley as the OC and probable heir apparent if they want an offensive coach.

It should be fun.

...if "Haley's Comet" is the heir apparent, Barea diarrhea ain't far behind......remember his HC stint in KC?.....fought with everybody...Gailey seems to be pretty well respected around here and the "Comet" kicked him to the curb......goes to Steelers and has a predicable "luvfest" with Big Ben.......could see the Browns' "Triple H Gang", a/k/a Haslam, Hugh & Haley forever cementing "mistake by the lake" in the Browns II lore.......

15 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if "Haley's Comet" is the heir apparent, Barea diarrhea ain't far behind......remember his HC stint in KC?.....fought with everybody...Gailey seems to be pretty well respected around here and the "Comet" kicked him to the curb......goes to Steelers and has a predicable "luvfest" with Big Ben.......could see the Browns' "Triple H Gang", a/k/a Haslam, Hugh & Haley forever cementing "mistake by the lake" in the Browns II lore.......

Oh - I agree fully - I also think he and TT will not mesh real well as TT is more of a reactionary thrower and sort of free wheels the offense and my guess is that will not go over very well.

I just believe that Hue is very short lived and they are looking for a reason to kick him out and I believe Haley will get the job on an interim basis at some point this year. 

I also think Dorsey will want an offensive guy to lead the team and develop the QB - we will see how it all plays out - especially with hard knocks

I have a feeling Tyrod looks good at practice but when it’s time to let the ball rip during games he is fun shy. That’s why he is. It a Buffalo Bill. I think Baker will take over halfway threw the season.