Report: Baker Mayfield not ready to compete with Tyrod Taylor

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

if tyrod can get his deep ball going with gordon he could have his best season yet.  that's where tyrod had his best year with us.  that still won't make him a top ten qb. but he might be able to go for 3500 yards and 20 plus tds which is the best qb the browns have had in decades

Browns have some really good players at the skills positions and they are fairly deep there too...

Their offense could be pretty good if they can mesh well.

1 hour ago, HT02 said:

My guess is that position gets "re-examined " after they get blown off the field by the Saints in week 2 followed by a  10-7 loss to the Jets at home in week 3.  Taylor throws for 197 yard 1 TD against the Saints and  155 yrds  and no TD's against the Jets.

Thats almost 4 times the production from last years home game against the Saints

9 for 18 56 yds and 1 int ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Lfod said:

I have questions about Tyrod that I don't feel are answered completely. I have a good idea but I still have some doubts about my feelings on him. This season should secure everything and put it to rest for me personally. 

I am rooting against Tyrod. I hope he struggles to score points in Cleveland. I hope he is benched before the end of the season. I don't want to regret my team letting him go. I don't want him to out perform what my team has for QB and make me feel like letting him go was the wrong choice. I don't want to miss him as my QB. 

I don't want to sit through the endless debate because I won't be able to not participate. It is addictive. At least he was traded to the Browns so I think I'll get my way. I think it will take a miracle for that nightmare to happen. 

I can't root against TT.  He's too good a guy.

But I hope one of our QBs earns a Pro Bowl spot and gets us a playoff victory.  Then there will be no regret.  

• Like (+1) 1

JMO, but I believe that a big part of Taylor's conservativeness throwing the football at times was coached into him by Rex. That team was supposed to be all about defense and running the football, and not giving opponents a chance by turning the ball over to them. Taylor just needed to be "Alex Smith".

Unfortunately, only one of those facets worked out in the Bills' favor, and Taylor was going to have to do much more in order to keep up with opponents. 

I'm sure some of the conservativeness was on him, though. Not trying to absolve him or anything, just what I've always thought. If you channel your inner Rex (try not to barf), it would make sense to teach that into your QB, when you're expecting a top defense and rushing attack, especially after you've already witnessed what a turnover-happy QB can do to your defensively strong, good rushing team, in Mark Sanchez. Greg Roman certainly wasn't known for being very creative in the passing game, and IIRC Sanjay Lal was "in charge" of that aspect. Many of the passing concepts were based on flooding the field, essentially cutting it in half. 

Again, jmo on that. Taylor certainly wasn't great at anticipating routes, or throwing accurately for YAC, especially at the intermediate level. I liked what he brought to the team, on and off the field, but he clearly wasn't going to win any championships, and that's why you play. The Browns would be stupid to not start him, as they're not winning any championships any time soon anyways...

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Fun fact:  Tyrod averaged 20 more yards passing: game in the nfl than Allen did in the Mountain West Conference. 

If the excuse can be made time and again that Tyrod had no weapons, the excuse can also be made Allen really had no weapons. 

Any event it's still irrelevant. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Yeah, it's irrelevant and you know that.

Completely disagree but irrespective your opinion.  I’m not just going to blindly pretend like every player the Bills have is awesome.

i wasn’t a Tyrod fan. I was ready to move on last year.  But I think people pretend like it’s so easier to replace him.  Fact is guys like Tyrod and Fitz, while limited, are having careers better than 90% of qbs who have ever played.  Tyrod, who was not as physically gifted, had a better college career in a better conference than Allen.  It’s not a given he will be better than Tyrod.  That said, even though Allen was far from the guy I wanted, it was time to move on.

2 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

If the excuse can be made time and again that Tyrod had no weapons, the excuse can also be made Allen really had no weapons. 

Any event it's still irrelevant. 

I hate excuses.  Tyrod wasn’t a good passing qb.  Allen for all his physical talent wasn’t a good passing qb in college (2 300 yard games).  

Franchise qbs elevate the players around them.  Tyrod didn’t do it.  Hopefully Allen will be better at it in the pros than he was in college.

5 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

At 1-31, it's a wonder one of the Dawg Pound hasn't already taken matters into their own hands.

Because they got two top 5 picks.  It actually worked out pretty good for them (though I may have taken Darnold and Chubb).

37 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Completely disagree but irrespective your opinion.  I’m not just going to blindly pretend like every player the Bills have is awesome.

i wasn’t a Tyrod fan. I was ready to move on last year.  But I think people pretend like it’s so easier to replace him.  Fact is guys like Tyrod and Fitz, while limited, are having careers better than 90% of qbs who have ever played.  Tyrod, who was not as physically gifted, had a better college career in a better conference than Allen.  It’s not a given he will be better than Tyrod.  That said, even though Allen was far from the guy I wanted, it was time to move on.

I hate excuses.  Tyrod wasn’t a good passing qb.  Allen for all his physical talent wasn’t a good passing qb in college (2 300 yard games).  

Franchise qbs elevate the players around them.  Tyrod didn’t do it.  Hopefully Allen will be better at it in the pros than he was in college.

These are great points. I think most rational people agree with you. Tyrod is an NFL starter though some folks on this board talk like he could not even play high school ball. Yes, his passing game could have been improved, but he made up for some of that with his legs. Yes you can upgrade from him, but you can also get much worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Because they got two top 5 picks.  It actually worked out pretty good for them (though I may have taken Darnold and Chubb).

Well stated.  An excellent way of looking at 'embracing the tank' (even if they weren't trying to).

16 minutes ago, ngbills said:

These are great points. I think most rational people agree with you. Tyrod is an NFL starter though some folks on this board talk like he could not even play high school ball. Yes, his passing game could have been improved, but he made up for some of that with his legs. Yes you can upgrade from him, but you can also get much worse

Hopefully we didn't...but it was time.

10 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Mayfield was the QB I wanted in the draft. With that being said, he wasn’t worthy of the 1st overall pick. The Browns should have drafted Darnold

...and kept Darnold away from the stinkin’ Jets! 

Edited by Augie

Quick question:  for everyone that said “this isnt at all surprising,” how many of you were saying that months ago? Probably none.

Tyrod was the worst starting QB in the NFL and Mayfield was already a better QB than Tyrod. That was the narrative. And not only Mayfield. Any of the QBs drafted in the first round were an instant upgrade. 

But now, now its not surprising. Ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Who is doing that?  But I'll tell you what...your disdain for the Allen pick is clouding your ability to discuss these topics rationally.