Report: Baker Mayfield not ready to compete with Tyrod Taylor

5 hours ago, MURPHD6 said:

Mayfield was in a spread based system. Taylor has 3 years of starting experience in a pro-offense, and like him or not, he made the playoffs last year. I can't think of a single example of a rookie qb coming from a spread system beating out a starter who had made the playoffs the previous year. This was expected.

Big Ben did it way back 15 years ago.  He came out of  Ohio from  a spread Offense and then took the team to the playoffs

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Except Mayfield is not ready, via this report, while Allen has been earning lots of praise from media, teammates and coaches.

and criticism too

4 hours ago, Steve Billieve said:

I'm no expert but I'm guessing there's a reason AJ was the only one standing when the music stopped playing.

I'm sure there's a reason we didn't trade Tyrod for less than a 3rd too.

Is any part of that the fact the Browns were willing to trade a 2nd and a 3rd for AJ less than 6 months before?  More draft capital than they traded for TT.

4 hours ago, Lfod said:

I have questions about Tyrod that I don't feel are answered completely. I have a good idea but I still have some doubts about my feelings on him. This season should secure everything and put it to rest for me personally. 

I am rooting against Tyrod. I hope he struggles to score points in Cleveland. I hope he is benched before the end of the season. I don't want to regret my team letting him go. I don't want him to out perform what my team has for QB and make me feel like letting him go was the wrong choice. I don't want to miss him as my QB. 

I don't want to sit through the endless debate because I won't be able to not participate. It is addictive. At least he was traded to the Browns so I think I'll get my way. I think it will take a miracle for that nightmare to happen. 

I do not really care - I think similar to here - TT will be hard to beat out because he makes so few mistakes - so he does not lose games.  The Browns will be hard pressed  next year to remove that from the lineup to replace with a rookie.

The worst part for the Browns is that I do not think the GM feels Hue is the long term answer and would have replaced him if the owner did not open his mouth;  therefore I think that you are teaching Mayfield a system and preparing him and next year a new coaching system come in to replace that and try to design a system around his college strengths that he has started to grow out of.

It will be an interesting couple of years for the Browns.

4 hours ago, The Red King said:

Justified or not, TT had zero faith in our receivers to make a play, and as a result never took a chance.  As a result, the Tyrod you see in Cleveland is not the Tyrod you'd get if he stayed in Buffalo.  Even if TT outperforms the Buffalo QBs this year I won't regret trading him because TT on the 2018 Bills would have resembled the 2017 outing.

The tape on the Bills from the past three years debunks this commonly repeated opinion.  Receivers were open.  I don't hate Tyrod as a starting QB but there's no denying my frustration at (a) his unwillingness to make a throw with any risk attached to it, and (b) his consistent failure to put the ball in a position for his receivers to make YAC.

I expect the Browns to win 6-8 games this season, and Tyrod's ability to take care of the ball will be a big part of that.  I'm not disappointed the Bills moved on, regardless of what sort of QB play we get this year.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

It will be an interesting couple of years for the Browns.

It's ALWAYS an "interesting couple of years for the Browns". ?  At times it's like watching the football version of 'Major League'.  Hue Jackson could screw up a one car funeral.

4 hours ago, The Red King said:

Justified or not, TT had zero faith in our receivers to make a play, and as a result never took a chance.  As a result, the Tyrod you see in Cleveland is not the Tyrod you'd get if he stayed in Buffalo.  Even if TT outperforms the Buffalo QBs this year I won't regret trading him because TT on the 2018 Bills would have resembled the 2017 outing.

That is just revisionist history. Tyrod lacks the ability to anticipate, to throw a receiver open. It's not his lack of faith in his own receivers it is a lack of faith in his own judgment and ability. And that's the Tyrod you will see this year in Cleveland. Still, he's a serviceable quarterback who will have some success in Cleveland as he did here. I like him and wish him well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is a pretty easy decision for the Browns. They are 1-31 over the last two years. They now have a talented, young roster. They need to learn to start winning. Tyrod has a winning record and doesn’t make mistakes. He’s a consummate professional earning rave reviews so far in Cleveland. They’ll win 6-8 games this year while getting Baker ready. 

It made a ton of sense for Cleveland to pursue Tyrod and it made a ton of sense for the Bills to clear the path for Allen. If Allen can play it will end up working out well for both teams. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Lfod said:

I have questions about Tyrod that I don't feel are answered completely. I have a good idea but I still have some doubts about my feelings on him. This season should secure everything and put it to rest for me personally. 

I am rooting against Tyrod. I hope he struggles to score points in Cleveland. I hope he is benched before the end of the season. I don't want to regret my team letting him go. I don't want him to out perform what my team has for QB and make me feel like letting him go was the wrong choice. I don't want to miss him as my QB. 

I don't want to sit through the endless debate because I won't be able to not participate. It is addictive. At least he was traded to the Browns so I think I'll get my way. I think it will take a miracle for that nightmare to happen. 

I don't necessarily root against him, but I understand your larger point. However, in fairness to Tyrod's time in Buffalo (and I was a pretty big Tyrod detractor) the supporting talent in Cleveland right now is much, much better than what he had in Buffalo except for his first season....which, was essentially his best. Had Wrex's Defense been what last year's was, the Bills probably would have made the playoffs that year. 

That said, I'm glad Tyrod moved on for both the Bills and for him. I wanted a true pocket passer with the quintessential capabilities of an NFL QB. However, he was always a decent man here in Buffalo and approached some tumultuous situations with class and professionalism. To that end, I wish him the best. I don't think his success and Josh Allen's success need to be exclusive, they can both succeed and this turn out well for both teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MURPHD6 said:

I think he might hit his ceiling this year, and it could be higher than what his ceiling was in Buffalo. Hue Jackson is cettainly betting his job on it. With that said, even if he has a great year, he's getting to the age where his running ability will begin to decrease, which is why no one wants to sign him long term. So I wouldn't lose it, if he bounces back and outplays everyone on the Bills Roster. Vince Young and RGIII both had great seasons, but neither sustained their level of performance long term.

I think we've seen Tyrods ceiling 3 years ago and the league knows how to play him now regardless of which team he is on. 

I think the Browns right now will be happy with 150 yards and 1 TD zero ints opposed to 200 yards 1 TD and 3 ints. 

I do anticipate the Browns growing impatient with no or very minimal production from Tyrod and Mayfield will be put in sooner than later.

7 hours ago, MURPHD6 said:

I agree with the article, and the idea of Cleveland bringing in a new coach next year. Baker's skill set dictates a system designed specifically for him. 

Which to me begs the question why didn't the Browns just get their coach this year?

1 hour ago, eball said:

The tape on the Bills from the past three years debunks this commonly repeated opinion.  Receivers were open.  I don't hate Tyrod as a starting QB but there's no denying my frustration at (a) his unwillingness to make a throw with any risk attached to it, and (b) his consistent failure to put the ball in a position for his receivers to make YAC.

I expect the Browns to win 6-8 games this season, and Tyrod's ability to take care of the ball will be a big part of that.  I'm not disappointed the Bills moved on, regardless of what sort of QB play we get this year.

When you highlighted my sentence, you forgot the first three words, "justified or not".  In my opinion Tyrod's lack of faith in our receivers was unjustified.  They weren't the best, but they were not bad enough to warrant his level of ultra-conservatism.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

I think we've seen Tyrods ceiling 3 years ago and the league knows how to play him now regardless of which team he is on. 

I think the Browns right now will be happy with 150 yards and 1 TD zero ints opposed to 200 yards 1 TD and 3 ints. 

I do anticipate the Browns growing impatient with no or very minimal production from Tyrod and Mayfield will be put in sooner than later.

Didn’t we have a bet that if someone paid Tyrod $10M this year you’d never post again? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1