Report: Baker Mayfield not ready to compete with Tyrod Taylor

Not surprising.  Tyrod was brought in to provide consistency and stability to a train-wreck of a team.  TT doesn't lose games by making mistakes, and doesn't win them with big plays.  He may be mediocre, baseline, but right now that stability is more important to Cleveland.  By the time the Browns outgrow Tyrod, Mayfield will be ready.  This is why they traded for TT in the first place.

• Like (+1) 20
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't mean to rip the scab off the Great TT Debate, but the bottom line is that TT is a serviceable NFL QB who can win games in this league with a fair to middlin' supporting cast.  I think Cleveland will be happy to win 5-6 games this year and I think TT is definitely able to do that for them.  He might not have been our "Franchise QB" or our "QB of the Future" but he is a QB who can win some games for a team and that's all Cleveland is looking for.  I wish TT the best of luck.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 16
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Mayfield was in a spread based system. Taylor has 3 years of starting experience in a pro-offense, and like him or not, he made the playoffs last year. I can't think of a single example of a rookie qb coming from a spread system beating out a starter who had made the playoffs the previous year. This was expected.

Edited by MURPHD6
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

Mayfield was in a spread based system. Taylor has 3 years of starting experience in a pro-offense, and like him or not, he made the playoffs last year. I can't think of a single example of a rookie qb coming from a spread system beating out a starter who had made the playoffs the previous year. This was expected.

Agreed.  I still am amazed that they took him #1 overall.  The learning curve for this kid is going to be huge, plus he’s a tiny man by NFL QB standards.  I will be astonished if he becomes a bonadied franchise guy.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Agreed.  I still am amazed that they took him #1 overall.  The learning curve for this kid is going to be huge, plus he’s a tiny man by NFL QB standards.  I will be astonished if he becomes a bonadied franchise guy.

I agree with the article, and the idea of Cleveland bringing in a new coach next year. Baker's skill set dictates a system designed specifically for him. 

29 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

This isn't much of a story. Two months out from the draft, he still has a lot to learn. Like Red King said, TT was brought in to be a solid stopgap. Never expected Mayfield to start right away.

Seems like something most would have said would describe Josh Allen at this point, yet he's still very much competing for the #1 job, unlike Mayfield.

I have questions about Tyrod that I don't feel are answered completely. I have a good idea but I still have some doubts about my feelings on him. This season should secure everything and put it to rest for me personally. 

I am rooting against Tyrod. I hope he struggles to score points in Cleveland. I hope he is benched before the end of the season. I don't want to regret my team letting him go. I don't want him to out perform what my team has for QB and make me feel like letting him go was the wrong choice. I don't want to miss him as my QB. 

I don't want to sit through the endless debate because I won't be able to not participate. It is addictive. At least he was traded to the Browns so I think I'll get my way. I think it will take a miracle for that nightmare to happen. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I have questions about Tyrod that I don't feel are answered completely. I have a good idea but I still have some doubts about my feelings on him. This season should secure everything and put it to rest for me personally. 

I am rooting against Tyrod. I hope he struggles to score points in Cleveland. I hope he is benched before the end of the season. I don't want to regret my team letting him go. I don't want him to out perform what my team has for QB and make me feel like letting him go was the wrong choice. I don't want to miss him as my QB. 

I don't want to sit through the endless debate because I won't be able to not participate. It is addictive. At least he was traded to the Browns so I think I'll get my way. I think it will take a miracle for that nightmare to happen. 

Justified or not, TT had zero faith in our receivers to make a play, and as a result never took a chance.  As a result, the Tyrod you see in Cleveland is not the Tyrod you'd get if he stayed in Buffalo.  Even if TT outperforms the Buffalo QBs this year I won't regret trading him because TT on the 2018 Bills would have resembled the 2017 outing.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I completely understand what you're saying, and in some ways, I feel the same. But, to be honest, I'm rooting for Tyrod. I was a Tyrod fan while he was here. He was fun to watch when he was good, which, admittedly, was not often enough. But, I loved his athleticism, and the way he extended plays, and I loved his attitude. And, I always wanted him to be better. He's got some good weapons in Cleveland this year. I would love to see him lose to the Bills in the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Justified or not, TT had zero faith in our receivers to make a play, and as a result never took a chance.  As a result, the Tyrod you see in Cleveland is not the Tyrod you'd get if he stayed in Buffalo.  Even if TT outperforms the Buffalo QBs this year I won't regret trading him because TT on the 2018 Bills would have resembled the 2017 outing.

This is very true. Although, he didn't have a huge number of opportunities to throw to, or build a rapport with Benjamin.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I completely understand what you're saying, and in some ways, I feel the same. But, to be honest, I'm rooting for Tyrod. I was a Tyrod fan while he was here. He was fun to watch when he was good, which, admittedly, was not often enough. But, I loved his athleticism, and the way he extended plays, and I loved his attitude. And, I always wanted him to be better. He's got some good weapons in Cleveland this year. I would love to see him lose to the Bills in the playoffs.

I think he might hit his ceiling this year, and it could be higher than what his ceiling was in Buffalo. Hue Jackson is cettainly betting his job on it. With that said, even if he has a great year, he's getting to the age where his running ability will begin to decrease, which is why no one wants to sign him long term. So I wouldn't lose it, if he bounces back and outplays everyone on the Bills Roster. Vince Young and RGIII both had great seasons, but neither sustained their level of performance long term.

Edited by MURPHD6

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Seems like something most would have said would describe Josh Allen at this point, yet he's still very much competing for the #1 job, unlike Mayfield.

They're both still theoretically competing to start the first week.

The source of this report is the opinion of a local sports reporter so I would take it with a grain of salt.  Of course if I was a Browns fan I'd pry be flipping out that we just drafted another Johnny Football.  It should be a fun Hard Knocks.