Eric Moulds... What happened to him?

33 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

There were rumors of other things going on between him and Mularkey at the time, so who knows what all was involved. 

Yeah, that's what I thought I recalled as well, just can't remember for sure.  I remember that game, thinking Mularkey was sticking it to Moulds.  Of course they could have designed a simple catch for him if they wanted to, and I don't buy for a second any Mularkey claims he was unaware, believable as they may be. 

12 hours ago, Capco said:

I really think if he was drafted by a team with a legitimate, long-term, franchise quarterback that he would have had a HoF career.  He had that much talent.  

This. I agree 1000%

As good as Moulds' career was, I have always said that the Bills wasted his talents and ruined his chances at being a Hall of Famer.

But then, the Bills seem to be developing a real knack for wasting the talents of physically gifted WRs: Eric Moulds, Lee Evans, Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods and Marquise Goodwin all say hello.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, MJS said:

I remember a few years back when Reggie Wayne played a whole game without a catch and the whole game the announcers were lamenting him losing his team record.

Well at the end of the game they threw him a little screen pass to keep his record going. There's no reason the Bills couldn't have done something like that for Moulds.

I guess you could, but at some point the record is meaningless if you use gimmicks to prop it up.  Like rolling a QB out there on one leg for the first snap to keep up his ironman consecutive starts.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If Moulds had ever got to play with a franchise QB, especially on a consistent basis...he probably would have been a Hall of Famer.

He produced good numbers with pretty much trash at the QB position.

Reminds me of DeAndre Hopkins. He's had garbage at QB for a long time and still produces. Hopefully Watson is as good as advertised.

10 hours ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

Not sure why I missed that ... I would have liked to see that.

People leaving out a stat that I believe I was the only one to ever bring up (not a pat on my back, just that I've never heard anyone else bring it up).

...When he retired in 2007 he was the last player in the NFL to have caught a TD pass from Jim Kelly.

December 16, 1996 in a loss to Miami.

I actually think he was the last player for awhile, if memory serves.  It may have been as early as 2002 or 2003 that he held that honor.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

7 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

People leaving out a stat that I believe I was the only one to ever bring up (not a pat on my back, just that I've never heard anyone else bring it up).

...When he retired in 2007 he was the last player in the NFL to have caught a TD pass from Jim Kelly.

December 16, 1996 in a loss to Miami.

I actually think he was the last player for awhile, if memory serves.  It may have been as early as 2002 or 2003 that he held that honor.

I suspect your the only one because it’s a ridiculous “stat”

Moulds was a very good player.  Dont understand the hate.  So he was upset about something big deal.  I love how people will spew hate for players like moulds because his publicist made a statement but gloss over everything about other players like Jim Kelly.  Be fair people

I think one of the problem with people (myself included) is sometimes we forget about 10 years of good when there's one bad incident.  Now - if that incident is killing your ex-wife and her boyfriend, that I understand.  If that incident is whining about not getting a pass thrown your way during a game towards the end of your career, that's something else.  But folks often seem to equate the two in terms of meaning and that jades the perception of their career.  It's also about timing...  A lot of Jimbo (and Bruce's) transgressions happened earlier in their careers while they were still starring in games and we were still successful.  When something happens late in your career or after your career, it is easier for some folks to just discard the success you had because they were in the past and you have no "future value" to the team you love.  If this had happened in say year 5 of EMs career and he was successful afterwards, it would carry less weight and there'd be fewer naysayers.

On 6/18/2018 at 2:48 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...sure was.....he got all bent out of shape when his consecutive catch string was broken with zero pass attempts his way....had his "publicist(??)" reported that "Eric was very upset with the Bills organization because his consecutive catch string was broken"...a huge TEAM RECORD, right?...he got into a big tussle with Moolarkey and Ralph had to fly in from Detroit to hold his hand and calm the diva down...burned every bridge on his way outta town to Houston....sure he was on the roster through some very frustrating times, but take the high road out.......

He'd likely be a HoF candidate if he'd been drafted by a competent team.  I have a really hard time begrudging him a catch streak along the way.

dot dot dot dot dot dot da dot

Edited by BringMetheHeadofLeonLett
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/18/2018 at 9:38 PM, Southern Bills Fan said:

I knew there had to be something. I mentioned this a while ago but I was in his hometown of Lucedale, Mississippi a while ago and they had a sign saying that it was his hometown and the pic was him in a Titans uni. 

I don't know how much the Titan's uni reflects Moulds.  Geographically, Tennessee borders Mississippi so it could just be Titan homers supporting their team.  No doubt Moulds went through a period where he resented the Bills but time has a way of healing those kinds of wounds.

So Eric Moulds is definitely in Buffalo. I'm a manager of a restaurant in Cheektowaga and I've seen Moulds twice this week. Just thought it was cool because I had been reading this topic earlier in the week and boom there he is.

• Like (+1) 1