Eric Moulds... What happened to him?

48 minutes ago, MJS said:

I remember a few years back when Reggie Wayne played a whole game without a catch and the whole game the announcers were lamenting him losing his team record.

Well at the end of the game they threw him a little screen pass to keep his record going. There's no reason the Bills couldn't have done something like that for Moulds.

I agree.  These things mean a lot to players.   Mularkey didn't say this publicly but if I recall correctly it was rumored that he said he didn't know about the streak.  

6 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I agree.  These things mean a lot to players.   Mularkey didn't say this publicly but if I recall correctly it was rumored that he said he didn't know about the streak.  

Wouldn't surprise me, Mularkey didn't seem to know about a lot of things going on out on the field

• Thank you (+1) 1

Moulds was a hell of a talent. It's really too bad that he languished on terrible teams. I've had a few chats with him over the years as a bills fan and he's always been gracious and happy to talk about the team and his playing days. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Moulds was a hell of a talent. It's really too bad that he languished on terrible teams. I've had a few chats with him over the years as a bills fan and he's always been gracious and happy to talk about the team and his playing days. 

Good to know. He was my favorite player as a kid. I grew up in the 90's and 00's, and he was the first player I really connected with. I loved watching him.

• Like (+1) 2

I really think if he was drafted by a team with a legitimate, long-term, franchise quarterback that he would have had a HoF career.  He had that much talent.  

Iirc, he had fairly decent size, strength, and run blocking ability to go along with his speed and hands.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, MJS said:

I remember a few years back when Reggie Wayne played a whole game without a catch and the whole game the announcers were lamenting him losing his team record.

Well at the end of the game they threw him a little screen pass to keep his record going. There's no reason the Bills couldn't have done something like that for Moulds.

Exactly.  Shows more about coach than Moulds, IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

He had a terrific career with Buffalo.  During his final few years with the team, it was clear that his skills were diminishing.  He was no longer the explosive deep threat that he once once.  By the time he left for Houston, he was on the downside of his career.  At one time, he averaged 20+ yards per attempt on 67 receptions.  His yardage was down to under 10 yards per catch.   

Still he has a very very good career with the Bills and I’d love to see him leading the heard at a home game someday

According to this, he did in 2014

http://m.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Eric-Moulds-returns-to-Buffalo-to-Lead-the-Charge/758f0c5a-e470-42c3-980f-5716582ab800

By the end of his time in Buffalo he was possibly the only guy on the team with any heart. I’ll remember him running down that guy who made  an interception in his last year or two in Buffalo more than any other play. Everyone else was standing around.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Troll Toll said:

By the end of his time in Buffalo he was possibly the only guy on the team with any heart. I’ll remember him running down that guy who made  an interception in his last year or two in Buffalo more than any other play. Everyone else was standing around.

I remember that game.  After the game he said that he learned you don't give up until the play is over from Bruce and Thurman and Andre etc. and talked about what it meant to put on a Bills jersey.  He played with those guys in his rookie year and for the longest time was the last true link to the glory years and I always associated him with that.  There was another time(Miami snow game 2002?) where he talked about how in the Winter time in Buffalo you don't wear sleeves, its about mental toughness and once again credited learning that from Andre, Bruce etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

Great player, not the best guy off the field. Love strippers and trying to pick up high schoolers at the mall by passing out his football card (an ex has personal experience).  Also, there is a lot of talk that he was T Hen’s wingman when he went underage hunting.

but he was arguably the best player of the drought.  It also shows how completely dependent of a position receiver is.  No franchise wastes good receivers like us.

16 hours ago, Braedenstearns said:

What ever happened to him? He was a good player as a bill and played with the bills for a long time! Was there a bad wrap with him and buffalo when he left? You never hear about him anymore.

He was a great player for a few years but his skills diminished rather quickly...

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, MJS said:

Honestly, who cares? His talents were wasted on terrible teams, playing with terrible QB's and for terrible coaches.

Every single fan of the team has said much worse about the team than he has.

He was an awesome player and deserves to be remembered for that, not a single moment of frustration with the garbage organization he played for.

....agree on all points...would have been interesting to see EM, Andre & Jimbo on the field together.......purely opinion here and CERTAINLY understanding his frustrations, not taking the high road out was disappointing....some do, other don't......

Some random memories of Moulds:

-- Was part of that great 1996 WR class that included Keyshawn Johnson, Terrell Owens, Marvin Harrison, Terry Glenn, Isaac Bruce, M. Muhammad, and others.

-- Many draft experts considered him to be as physically talented (or more) than the other receivers in the draft class. He was essentially the modern prototype (think Julio Jones) with a large frame and 4.4 speed. However, he had a reputation for being very immature. He once ordered pizza on the sidelines of a game in college. At least one NFL team reportedly had taken him off their board altogether. There were murmurs at the time that Marv did not especially like the pick.

-- As a rookie he got to play with Jim Kelly, but saw very little action as a WR. His primary role was as a kick returner. There were reports that he was not quick to pick up the playbook, and Marv was notoriously skeptical of rookies.

-- Had  a true breakout season in 1998 when Flutie took over the reins at QB. 1999 was also a successful season for him with Flutie.

-- He and Peerless Price combined to be one of the most dynamic WR duos in the league during that magical 2002 (half) season when Bledsoe tore it up to become the only QB in Bills history to pass for over 4,000 yards.

-- Bledsoe's decline in 2003 and 2004 also played a toll on Moulds and his production.

-- The incident that some of you referenced, which involved Ralph flying in to calm things down, happened in 2005. However, it was not about a consecutive catch streak necessarily. It had to do with Moulds' pouting and even refusing to go into a game. The game was at Miami, and at first it looked like possibly a breakout game for JP Losman. Moulds' skills were already on the decline by this point, and the torch had essentially already been passed to Lee Evans. Losman and Evans had hooked up for a number of long bomb TDs to get the Bills out to a big lead over the Dolphins. Moulds was upset that Evans was getting all of the attention and refused to go into the game. There were rumors of other things going on between him and Mularkey at the time, so who knows what all was involved. But the net out is that Moulds refused to go into the game, the Dolphins started rolling coverage Evans' way, and Losman did what he normally did (find a way to lose the game in the 4th quarter). IIRC there were 3-4 games left in the season, and Mularkey decided to suspend Moulds for the remainder of the season. That is when Ralph flew into town, had discussions with Mularkey -- and the benching, I believe, was reduced to just one game. As it would turn out, that time-frame turned out to be a lame duck time for both Mularkey and Moulds.

-- Moulds left in the next off-season, and I believe he went to the Texans. He never panned out there. In fact, his weight ballooned and there were even discussions of having him shift to the TE position.

Moulds may have physically been finest receiver the Bills ever had. When he was at his best, he was dominant. However, he was never as consistent and great for a long period of time like Andre Reed was. Of course, Moulds was also cursed with having to play with some of the worst QBs that the Bills ever put on the field (Todd Collins, Alex Van Pelt, Billy Joe Holbert, JP Losman, Kelly Holcomb). When he had the benefit of competent QB play (Flutie's years and part of Bledsoe's), he was one of the top WRs in the league.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 hours ago, MJS said:

Honestly, who cares? His talents were wasted on terrible teams, playing with terrible QB's and for terrible coaches.

Every single fan of the team has said much worse about the team than he has.

He was an awesome player and deserves to be remembered for that, not a single moment of frustration with the garbage organization he played for.

I agree.

Edited by OJ Tom