Have you ever been arrested and what for?

15 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I wasn't technically arrested, but my then-girlfriend (now wife) and I were "detained" at the Canadian border while we were en route to a Pink Floyd show in Toronto. You can probably guess the reason.

Cost me $43 ($50 Canadian). We still made it to the show on time.

Does that include the price of the stuff that was confiscated? Lol.

19 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Does that include the price of the stuff that was confiscated? Lol.

Funny thing about that - they found a small stash in the car, which prompted them to bring us in for a strip search. I had a pipe on me and my GF had 2 Js. They confiscated that. Then they asked, "Do you have $50 between the two of you?"

I asked, "Why?"

He responded, "That's the fine. Pay it and you can leave."

I asked (joking), "Do you take Visa?"

He replied, "Yes." So I paid the fine with plastic.

After they released us, I noticed that the stuff they found in the car was still sitting on the front seat. I quickly stashed it under the seat and we drove away.

Fine: $50 ($43 American)

Pipe: $10

2 Js: $2

Interesting story to tell: Priceless.

Visa: It's everywhere you need to pay a fine.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Funny thing about that - they found a small stash in the car, which prompted them to bring us in for a strip search. I had a pipe on me and my GF had 2 Js. They confiscated that. Then they asked, "Do you have $50 between the two of you?"

I asked, "Why?"

He responded, "That's the fine. Pay it and you can leave."

I asked (joking), "Do you take Visa?"

He replied, "Yes." So I paid the fine with plastic.

After they released us, I noticed that the stuff they found in the car was still sitting on the front seat. I quickly stashed it under the seat and we drove away.

Fine: $50 ($43 American)

Pipe: $10

2 Js: $2

Interesting story to tell: Priceless.

Visa: It's everywhere you need to pay a fine.

Nice. And to think if that had happened today, you'd be free do to now.

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Until they are driving stoned and kill someone.

The stash was for pre-show tailgating, not while driving. How is that any different than alcohol?

Edited by WhoTom

4 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

The stash was for pre-show tailgating, not while driving. How is that any different than alcohol?

Stays in system longer.  Harder to detect via sobriety field test, especially years ago.

Not that I am against legalization, just as alcohol has its set of problems, so does weed... Especially determining easily in the field if a driver is impaired.  Like the .08 breath test limit...

It is what it is.

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Stays in system longer.  Harder to detect via sobriety field test, especially years ago.

Not that I am against legalization, just as alcohol has its set of problems, so does weed... Especially determining easily in the field if a driver is impaired.  Like the .08 breath test limit...

It is what it is.

I’ve been wondering about that. How does driving while impaired work with weed?  Is it up to the cop to say he could smell it and the driver’s eyes are red?  Does the cop have the driver get out and walk around? Is it all captured on video as evidence?  People can’t be expected to have a blood test on the spot, and that would likely be inconclusive anyway.  Drivers using weed may have slower reflexes and may be less observant.  Maybe not as dangerous as drivers using alcohol, but impairment is a concern. I’m all for legalization, but I just don’t know anything about the legality of driving with it fresh in your system.

33 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I’ve been wondering about that. How does driving while impaired work with weed?  Is it up to the cop to say he could smell it and the driver’s eyes are red?  Does the cop have the driver get out and walk around? Is it all captured on video as evidence?  People can’t be expected to have a blood test on the spot, and that would likely be inconclusive anyway.  Drivers using weed may have slower reflexes and may be less observant.  Maybe not as dangerous as drivers using alcohol, but impairment is a concern. I’m all for legalization, but I just don’t know anything about the legality of driving with it fresh in your system.

Yep.

With alcohol, there is the magic .08 to blow.  Gives a hard number with machine that can hold up in court.

I guess, they have to use field sobriety with weed.  Probably easier to beat???

I too wonder how they address these issues 

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yep.

With alcohol, there is the magic .08 to blow.  Gives a hard number with machine that can hold up in court.

Coordination & response tests would make the most sense. Walk a straight line, read something out loud that requires a bit of concentration, etc. I know that leaves a lot of room for error on the part of the officer, but the arbitrary 0.08 doesn't make much sense either. Is there that big of a difference in driving ability between 0.07 and 0.08?

To reduce the chance of officer error (or bias, for that matter), the tests should be video recorded and admissible in court. 

On 6/21/2018 at 7:46 PM, WhoTom said:

Coordination & response tests would make the most sense. Walk a straight line, read something out loud that requires a bit of concentration, etc. I know that leaves a lot of room for error on the part of the officer, but the arbitrary 0.08 doesn't make much sense either. Is there that big of a difference in driving ability between 0.07 and 0.08?

To reduce the chance of officer error (or bias, for that matter), the tests should be video recorded and admissible in court. 

With MS, I have horrible balance and an uneven gait. I often wondered how they would handle a physical if pot was legal. I do not worry about a sobriety test because I do not drive impaired. Period. Earlier in my life I deserved a DWI arrest a couple times. 

One time when I was an under aged drunk and a friend picked me up in a car I found out was stolen, after I got in! I got dropped off ASAP and am lucky not to be "grand theft auto".  He was lucky he did not get caught. I had to learn to be careful who I hung out with and eventually how to grow up and change my own behaviors.

Edited by rockpile
clarification

56 minutes ago, rockpile said:

With MS, I have horrible balance and an uneven gait. I often wondered how they would handle a physical if pot was legal. I do not worry about a sobriety test because I do not drive impaired. Period. Earlier in my life I deserved a DWI arrest a couple times. 

One time when I was an under aged drunk and a friend picked me up in a car I found out was stolen, after I got in! I got dropped off ASAP and am lucky not to be "grand theft auto".  He was lucky he did not get caught. I had to learn to be careful who I hung out with and eventually how to grow up and change my own behaviors.

My goal for this is by 50.

On 6/21/2018 at 6:26 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yep.

Driving 5 m.p.h. in a 50 with an open 5 gallon pail of sugar wafers on the passenger seat is the new standard for DW-THC...