Does anyone else plan on getting a subscription to The Athletic?

JGMcD2

I think this will be very interesting because a ton of people complained about the subscription model with the Buffalo News.  If the Athletic can succeed on that model - which it has elsewhere- then I think it shows more about the staff at TBN like Bucky and Sully not connecting with the modern fans.  

The line-up the Athletic is putting out seems like a great group with excellent Bills and Sabres coverage from some great analysts (with the possible exception of thin skinned TG), but it should blow away what the TBN was doing and was much more in line with what the Fans have asked about in TBN threads before.

I think it will go to show how important the staff is and the fact that guys like Bucky and Sully lasted as long as they did was more harmful than helpful to the TBN long term.

6 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think this will be very interesting because a ton of people complained about the subscription model with the Buffalo News.  If the Athletic can succeed on that model - which it has elsewhere- then I think it shows more about the staff at TBN like Bucky and Sully not connecting with the modern fans.  

The line-up the Athletic is putting out seems like a great group with excellent Bills and Sabres coverage from some great analysts (with the possible exception of thin skinned TG), but it should blow away what the TBN was doing and was much more in line with what the Fans have asked about in TBN threads before.

I think it will go to show how important the staff is and the fact that guys like Bucky and Sully lasted as long as they did was more harmful than helpful to the TBN long term.

To me, that's the thing.  If Bucky and Sully were still with the News, I would then go to The Athletic.  With them gone, I don't really have a reason to go there. 

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I just signed up. The special offer pricing cinched it. $42/yr.  I've been wanting their hockey coverage anyway. Having a Buffalo bureau got me over the line.

Agreed - would not pay for the Buffalo News team, but Fairburn, Vogl, Cover 1 and Kris Baker pushed it over the top.

All aboard - 

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

One thing is, so far, keeping me from signing up. His initials are tg and he is a petty, petulant child.  I'm not sure I want my hard earned $$$ going his way.

I'm still considering, but I think I'm going to do it.  I flat out rejected BN do to the poor articles they put out (hey, trust us, if you pay us we'll get better!), but I really like Fairburn and Cover1 enough that I don't mind paying just to support their efforts.  But I'm seriously having to convince myself to do it due to knowing TG benefits as well.  I may add an email to let the Athletic know just that.  Not that anyone cares, but it might make me feel a bit better.  :)

Edited by Acantha

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

Henceforth, from this day forward, the Buffalo News, Tim Graham, Twitter, The Athletic,  Jerry Sullivan affair shall be referred to as "PaywallGate"

man.. I have never seen people get worked up so much about paying to what accounts to less than 1 beer per month.

How the hell do the Bills ever get a dime out of the people on this board!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SDS said:

So, what was Tim not interested in?

Speaking to Harrington, apparently.  :lol:

Goes back to who Graham is as a person...who takes a private conversation -- from a colleague, no less -- and throws it out on Twitter?

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

There's only so much 'discretionary income' to throw around.

if you anyone sweating .10 a day..or $3.00 a month..they got bigger worries than weatehr or not to be reading the Athletic and BN..

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

man.. I have never seen people get worked up so much about paying to what accounts to less than 1 beer per month.

How the hell do the Bills ever get a dime out of the people on this board!

I chose not to give Tim Graham my beer money.  Hope he learns the hard way that being an ahole on Twitter doesn't help with subscriptions aka $$$

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

if you anyone sweating .10 a day..or $3.00 a month..they got bigger worries than weatehr or not to be reading the Athletic and BN..

We had a saying for that when dealing with management during contract negotiations: 'tripping over hundred dollar bills to pick up nickels'.  

• Like (+1) 2