Does anyone else plan on getting a subscription to The Athletic?

JGMcD2

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Do you suppose anyone knows the famous relative that Mr. Thomas / Roberts can claim?

His son the actor.

In one episode of Bones, David Boreanaz was in Roswell, NM at a cafe devoted to UFO themes. On the wall was a photo of the cast of Rocketship 7, to which Dave said he watched that show every day growing up. Of course he would, it was his dad's show.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Never like it when companies state "monthly" cost but will bill all at once for a year.  They should just state after 1 week trial period you will be billed $41.88 up front but marketers like the "$3.49 monthly" phrase.

Oh in case you were wondering whether it was economical just to subscribe for football season the monthly rate equals the yearly rate after 5.24 months.

And YES I do judge companies by their advertising campaigns.  It it appears to be marketing to idiots then it is not for me.

There is one ad campaign in DC area "Buy a gift for your trusty Toyota" which predictably caused Toyota sales to go down.  Predictable to everyone but the over priced ad agency.

9 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Interesting how back in the 60s local radio and television personalities would 'de-ethnicize' their names.

No joke. 

In the early 90's in SF, I worked with Henry (his last name is escaping me now)---from channel 7 during the Irv days (probably 80's). He did humours features. Had a mustache Well in Buffalo he went by Henry [some anglo sounding name). But in SF he went by his real name, Henry [some Jewish sounding name]. He explained to me, the management at WKBW said they couldn't have another Jewish name alongside Irv Weinstein. 

DAMN! What's that guy's name?  One of you will certainly know.

On 6/18/2018 at 2:34 PM, stony said:

There's no way to quantify this, but I haven't seen a single person suggest they're canceling their subscription to the Athletic.  OTOH, I've seen a boatload of people suggest they've signed up for him.  

I feel like this thread has several saying I’d TG is in they are out.

On 6/19/2018 at 5:44 PM, Limeaid said:

Each was on an article he wrote (it has been a few years so not remember exact article) and in each case I pointed on areas where he exaggerated to try to make a point.  First one was at one of the draft parties at stadium and other was at away game at a bar where a tailgate was being held night before.  In neither case did he appear to be drinking.  The crux of my article was that is was not as strong as it could be because of hyperbole and asked him if that was due to editing. 

He gets a lot of praise for his writing here, but I’ve noticed more than once that I walked away feeling that he pushed to engage on an emotional level but in turn left core issues of the topic untouched. Which given his flair for the dramatic, doesn’t seem shocking. I don’t have a great example at hand as it’s been a minute since I’ve read his stuff... just recall the last few feeling that way. Paired with not being a big fan of the guy personally - clicking his content just started falling off. 

35 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Henry Lawrence = Henry Tenenbaum

pleasehelpid12.jpg

That's it. I thought it was Lawrence (though I may have spelled it wrong while Googling). Tenenbaum is what I didn't remember. Excellent job!  Nice guy and good feature reporter.

I just signed up for a year. 

They are putting out fons tons of great stuff. Lots of behind the scenes stuff, which is my favorite stuff to read (I miss when the Buffalo News used to put out stuff like that). I felt like I was missing out not having a sub. to the athletic. Had to do it! 

Now, if only the Buffalo News would up their game, as well as offer a subscription for their sports section (Bills AND Sabres, not just Bills. It pissed me off paying for Bills coverage and still getting locked out of Sabres articles), I would subscribe to them too. 

No way I'm paying their digital monthly fee though, I only read the sports section. Not worth it until they offer a sports section subscription. 

So now that I've had a chance to look through The Athletic's sports coverage (after having signed up earlier today) I have to say I am beyond impressed. 

If you love reading about sports, I can't recommend the athletic highly enough. Their coverage is excellent. They have great break downs and analysis. They are delivering behind the scenes inside access and player interviews. 

Definitely worth the price so far, and it looks like their coverage will only get better with the lineup of writers they have covering Buffalo sports exclusively.