Does anyone else plan on getting a subscription to The Athletic?

JGMcD2

On 6/18/2018 at 1:48 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Graham might have violated Twitter's ToS by tweeting what was a private message.

even when i attempt to avoid promo, i am unable to.

here i was, off the board for nearly a week. second thread i open, and this sticks out like the proverbial sore thumb of bald audacity.

No, he didn't.

and as a service to all, let me actually provide you to an actual link of what Twitter considers to be private.

https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-and-policies/personal-information

but, of course, people here could have looked that up on their own before firing off a post that has no basis in fact.

and you wanna be a Bills reporter.

smh

jw

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

even when i attempt to avoid promo, i am unable to.

here i was, off the board for nearly a week. second thread i open, and this sticks out like the proverbial sore thumb of bald audacity.

No, he didn't.

and as a service to all, let me actually provide you to an actual link of what Twitter considers to be private.

https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-and-policies/personal-information

but, of course, people here could have looked that up on their own before firing off a post that has no basis in fact.

and you wanna be a Bills reporter.

smh

jw

Many people here don't like Tim, but for reasons that have nothing to do with his reporting.  These types  can't separate what they read from what they feel.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

I think it's entirely personal taste. I've done a bit of blogging before and Tim is a writer that I looked up to during that time. The way he writes definitely resonates with me.

As far as Wawrow goes; I think John is definitely in that raconteur class, primarily through Twitter. His flair and vocabulary come out to play.

i've been reluctant to like all of these posts until i finally summoned up the courage to look up "raconteur."
and now that i have, i'm still not sure whether to trust your judgement of character.

?

jw

What really happened: The Buffalo News loses half their sports staff in the span of a month

The Buffalo News had a dismal first quarter of 2018. According to an internal memo circulated to the entire News staff, it was their first quarterly loss in more than 40 years. Even still, their goal wasn’t to gut their sports department editorial staff - or any other department’s - says management.

The News’ sports department had been veteran-laden. Vic Carucci, Jay Skurski, and Mark Gaughan were on the Buffalo Bills beat, and John Vogl and Mike Harrington had the Buffalo Sabres beat covered. They were supplemented by columnists Jerry Sullivan and Bucky Gleason, along with sports enterprise reporter Tim Graham. Other reporters pitched in on a robust staff led by sports editor Josh Barnett and deputy sports editors Bob DiCesare and Keith McShea.

That was one month ago. Today, six of those staffers are no longer in the sports department. According to those former members of The Buffalo News, a snowball became an avalanche.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What really happened: The Buffalo News loses half their sports staff in the span of a month

The Buffalo News had a dismal first quarter of 2018. According to an internal memo circulated to the entire News staff, it was their first quarterly loss in more than 40 years. Even still, their goal wasn’t to gut their sports department editorial staff - or any other department’s - says management.

The News’ sports department had been veteran-laden. Vic Carucci, Jay Skurski, and Mark Gaughan were on the Buffalo Bills beat, and John Vogl and Mike Harrington had the Buffalo Sabres beat covered. They were supplemented by columnists Jerry Sullivan and Bucky Gleason, along with sports enterprise reporter Tim Graham. Other reporters pitched in on a robust staff led by sports editor Josh Barnett and deputy sports editors Bob DiCesare and Keith McShea.

That was one month ago. Today, six of those staffers are no longer in the sports department. According to those former members of The Buffalo News, a snowball became an avalanche.

I am not sure how others will take this article as it clearly highlighting the writers as victims.  But when I read it, especially the quotes from Sullivan, Gleason and Graham I can 100% see why the BN did what they did.   Specifically:

• When the editors told Sullivan his editorials were tired:  They were correct, his writing was becoming predictable and unecessarily negative.  Personally, I am fine with reading constructive criticism, but Sullivan's articles had become somewhere on the extreme side of that.   It was clear he had a personal agenda against the Bills and as time wore on the Pegulas.   The articles were becoming trite and boring.
  • The writers suggesting if the BN Blitz was more heavily geared towards the Sabres it would have been more successful: This shows how truly how out of touch these writers had become.   I am sorry, I know this town loves hockey but the true draw is football.   The failure of the Blitz wasnt about football vs. hockey, it was about fans of the sports teams being sick of the tired articles the BN was providing.   Few people wanted to pay for a sub standard product.  Even 2 or 3 dollars a month was too much for the 1 or 2 times a year Tim Graham knocks it out of the park, because most of the other content was worthless and filled with sarcasm.   The BN knew they had to try and start fresh and rebrand themselves, it was a good move, the mistake they made was putting the same bad product in a different wrapper.
  • Pissed about non-guild writers having their articles published on BN Blitz:  This is where the writers true colors shine the most.   Let me illuminate what the writers are actually saying here, 'We were pissed they hired Chris Trepasso to write for them."   At some point, these guys forgot they were lucky to have people read their opinions, and started to think we were lucky to have their opinions in print in front of us everyday.   Rather than be humbled by the opportunity, the awards they give one another started to inflate their self perception.  Things like this, are clear evidence their elitism and hubris got the best of them.   You guys thought you were better than covering the Bills, it was clear in your sarcasm laced editorials and even more clear in how disinterested and snarky you appeared in your post game videos and podcasts.   If you didnt want to cover the Bills, and preferred to talk about basketball or Red Sox baseball, then stop collecting your checks and find a job in that space.  No one was holding you hostage.   And when people got sick and tired of your jaded takes, don't be surprised when they find someone else to do you job, guild or non guild. 
  • They Didn't See it Coming:  Again with the hubris.   Your lack of effort in producing good content lost your company money.  And when your company attempted to fix the issues, while still keeping you on, you blamed them.   This high brow idea that News is an art, or above capitalism is so out of touch.  You guys aren't special, no matter how well you think you write.  No clue how they didnt see it coming.  The real story here is not they didnt see it coming, rather they thought they were so untouchable they never thought anyone would hold them accountable for their actions.

These guys arent victims.   They are elitist who feel they are better than everyone else because someone hired them to write something.   Additonally, how immature to tweet thank yous to the Buffalo News and then turn around and give takes like this to Buffalo Rumblings, no offense to their site but my guess is some of the writers there are non-guild, but just a hunch.  The typewriter bullies finally came up against people (The Pegulas) who had the sway to stand up to them.  

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I am not sure how others will take this article as it clearly highlighting the writers as victims.  But when I read it, especially the quotes from Sullivan, Gleason and Graham I can 100% see why the BN did what they did.   Specifically:

• When the editors told Sullivan his editorials were tired:  They were correct, his writing was becoming predictable and unecessarily negative.  Personally, I am fine with reading constructive criticism, but Sullivan's articles had become somewhere on the extreme side of that.   It was clear he had a personal agenda against the Bills and as time wore on the Pegulas.   The articles were becoming trite and boring.
  • The writers suggesting if the BN Blitz was more heavily geared towards the Sabres it would have been more successful: This shows how truly how out of touch these writers had become.   I am sorry, I know this town loves hockey but the true draw is football.   The failure of the Blitz wasnt about football vs. hockey, it was about fans of the sports teams being sick of the tired articles the BN was providing.   Few people wanted to pay for a sub standard product.  Even 2 or 3 dollars a month was too much for the 1 or 2 times a year Tim Graham knocks it out of the park, because most of the other content was worthless and filled with sarcasm.   The BN knew they had to try and start fresh and rebrand themselves, it was a good move, the mistake they made was putting the same bad product in a different wrapper.
  • Pissed about non-guild writers having their articles published on BN Blitz:  This is where the writers true colors shine the most.   Let me illuminate what the writers are actually saying here, 'We were pissed they hired Chris Trepasso to write for them."   At some point, these guys forgot they were lucky to have people read their opinions, and started to think we were lucky to have their opinions in print in front of us everyday.   Rather than be humbled by the opportunity, the awards they give one another started to inflate their self perception.  Things like this, are clear evidence their elitism and hubris got the best of them.   You guys thought you were better than covering the Bills, it was clear in your sarcasm laced editorials and even more clear in how disinterested and snarky you appeared in your post game videos and podcasts.   If you didnt want to cover the Bills, and preferred to talk about basketball or Red Sox baseball, then stop collecting your checks and find a job in that space.  No one was holding you hostage.   And when people got sick and tired of your jaded takes, don't be surprised when they find someone else to do you job, guild or non guild. 
  • They Didn't See it Coming:  Again with the hubris.   Your lack of effort in producing good content lost your company money.  And when your company attempted to fix the issues, while still keeping you on, you blamed them.   This high brow idea that News is an art, or above capitalism is so out of touch.  You guys aren't special, no matter how well you think you write.  No clue how they didnt see it coming.  The real story here is not they didnt see it coming, rather they thought they were so untouchable they never thought anyone would hold them accountable for their actions.

These guys arent victims.   They are elitist who feel they are better than everyone else because someone hired them to write something.   Additonally, how immature to tweet thank yous to the Buffalo News and then turn around and give takes like this to Buffalo Rumblings, no offense to their site but my guess is some of the writers there are non-guild, but just a hunch.  The typewriter bullies finally came up against people (The Pegulas) who had the sway to stand up to them.  

This is an outstanding post!

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/19/2018 at 8:03 PM, BuffaloRush said:

Thanks man.  I wouldn’t rule out subscribing in the future.  Just going to wait and see.  

Also so what’s your website!?!?!

It was originally - about 10 years ago - where I started converting my recorded Bills games to very low quality online videos so my brothers (and sisters) in arms down range could watch the latest games. Since then it's expanded to other junk, like tech and some retro gaming stuff I'm interested in, but primarily still a repo of past games.

As I'm deployed again (Afghanistan, again) it's likely this will be another missed year of updates, unfortunately. I'm also not sure which of the videos work, as my hosting platforms keep exceeding my financial ability to use them, so I have to frequently find another technique/location to save the files. As I'm in a limited bandwidth area, I don't have the ability to do that right now.

edit: Oh you literally meant what is my website? https://www.timekills.org but the relevant part is probably https://www.timekills.org/bills-video/

Edited by timekills17

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It takes 2-4 weeks.

4 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Any 'fine print' in the offer?  "Allow 4-6 months for free gift to arrive"?

BUT I WANT IT NOWWWWWWW!!!

I wouldn't support anything with Graham's name on it if I had billions of dollars. In this day and age, where everyone wants to be a brand, and in fact where columnists have always been a brand, his brand sucks. I don't ignore anti-social, a$$hat behavior when I buy or support something. Why? Because there are better alternatives out there, we don't have to accept idiots and what they peddle. One bad apple spoils the bunch. 

But good luck to them. Even with that tool.

• Like (+1) 2