Does anyone else plan on getting a subscription to The Athletic?

JGMcD2

If you are purely a NFL fan/bills fan id say its not really worth it, if you are on the edge of subscribing or not. There is enough "free" content out there

However if you are a hockey fan its well worth it. Some of the best hockey writers/reporters/insiders in my opinion work there. On top of the fact its tough to find quality hockey coverage

19 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It is ad-free

Ad-free for now according to article in NYT whose principles never promised ad-free site.

19 hours ago, Gugny said:

I don't think anyone is saying that Timmy is a bad writer.  From what I've seen, he's incapable of having an adult conversation with anyone who disagrees with him.  In my book, that makes him a jerk.

I had conversations twice with TG (I do not post on twitter, I am not a twit) and once he was very reasonable in discussing points for and against and the other time he got defense and nasty as soon as criticism was given.  And no time was I nasty and most of my points were over generalizations made her like Gungy did above where exaggeration was used when facts did not support entire argument.

Not sure what that means other than he has bad days.

49 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Ad-free for now according to article in NYT whose principles never promised ad-free site.

I had conversations twice with TG (I do not post on twitter, I am not a twit) and once he was very reasonable in discussing points for and against and the other time he got defense and nasty as soon as criticism was given.  And no time was I nasty and most of my points were over generalizations made her like Gungy did above where exaggeration was used when facts did not support entire argument.

What topic were you talking about? 

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

What topic were you talking about? 

Each was on an article he wrote (it has been a few years so not remember exact article) and in each case I pointed on areas where he exaggerated to try to make a point.  First one was at one of the draft parties at stadium and other was at away game at a bar where a tailgate was being held night before.  In neither case did he appear to be drinking.  The crux of my article was that is was not as strong as it could be because of hyperbole and asked him if that was due to editing. 

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

The fact is that he does this all the time on Twitter.   Not just on "bad days."   I'm generalizing nothing.  I am stating pure facts.  So find another user to crank one out whilst dreaming about.  I'm done with you.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The fact is that he does this all the time on Twitter.   Not just on "bad days."   I'm generalizing nothing.  I am stating pure facts.  So find another user to crank one out whilst dreaming about.  I'm done with you.

I’m on the waiting list for users that can crank one out to Gugs.

15 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Each was on an article he wrote (it has been a few years so not remember exact article) and in each case I pointed on areas where he exaggerated to try to make a point.  First one was at one of the draft parties at stadium and other was at away game at a bar where a tailgate was being held night before.  In neither case did he appear to be drinking.  The crux of my article was that is was not as strong as it could be because of hyperbole and asked him if that was due to editing. 

Interesting... I can see where Tim’s responses on Twitter could make him and the BN look bad.  I remember when he was “feuding” with poor Matthew Collier who was at WGR at the time.  Collier tweeted something about playing college baseball.  Tim said he played a charity softball event with Collier, and doubted him.  Collier was adimate that he did play.  Rather than laughing it off or making a wise ass comment, Tim actually spent the time checking the baseball rosters of his college and even called the Sports Information Director to ask if he played.  It just seemed like he went out far out of his way to call out a meaningless exaggeration that a lowly producer made on Twitter.

On the other hand everyone who knows Tim in the media, seems to love him.  At least, the ones who publicly speak about him.  Haven’t heard much negative on him. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Interesting... I can see where Tim’s responses on Twitter could make him and the BN look bad.  I remember when he was “feuding” with poor Matthew Collier who was at WGR at the time.  Collier tweeted something about playing college baseball.  Tim said he played a charity softball event with Collier, and doubted him.  Collier was adimate that he did play.  Rather than laughing it off or making a wise ass comment, Tim actually spent the time checking the baseball rosters of his college and even called the Sports Information Director to ask if he played.  It just seemed like he went out far out of his way to call out a meaningless exaggeration that a lowly producer made on Twitter.

On the other hand everyone who knows Tim in the media, seems to love him.  At least, the ones who publicly speak about him.  Haven’t heard much negative on him. 

I wonder how Vic and Harrington feel about him?

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I had conversations twice with TG (I do not post on twitter, I am not a twit) and once he was very reasonable in discussing points for and against and the other time he got defense and nasty as soon as criticism was given. 

But you have no problem calling someone who uses  Twitter a" twit"..and yet claim you were reasonable. HMM, I always love being called a twit! Shocking someone might find something you say offensive!

I got a feeling you and Timmuh the same when it comes to things you think trivial or not what you consider correct and proper

Edited by plenzmd1

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

But you have no problem calling someone who uses a Twitter a" twit"..and yet claim you were reasonable. HMM, I always love being called a twit! Shocking someone might find something you say offensive!

I got a feeling you and Timmuh the same when it comes to things you think trivial or not what you consider correct and proper

Twit-ter - hence meaning.

And I made no discussions about twitter in conversation with him.

And I think he considers you trivial but I don't but I may be wrong.

7 hours ago, fridge said:

While not illegal, sharing non-consented text messages is highly immoral.  Mike Harrington would certainly not have written that text message to Tim Graham if he knew it would be shared online.  Similarly, excluding the full context of the texts makes this incredibly one-sided. Tim's decision to include the keyboard in the screenshot to hide the previous message tells me he wasn't entirely innocent and egged him on.

As for my thoughts on The Athletic...

I don't live in Buffalo anymore and I don't really care about sports coverage.  I periodically get my news from here and reddit and that's still way better than any fan had access to in the 80's and 90's.  I don't really get the desire to "go deeper" and get more coverage (which, let's be real...is mostly re-hashed articles written with quotes from the same press conference they've already cited...all under the guise of fresh journalism).

A few years back when WGR started posting articles using the all-22 screenshots I thought immediately about how unqualified they were to report it.  I was still interested in seeing the breakdown, but it didn't take long before I realized that Jeremy White had no idea what he was talking about.  I feel the same way about Cover 1.  I'm not here to argue about the guy's reputation, but I can think of multiple examples where he used screenshots of plays to support a biased theory and it was weak at best. If a former coach or player had a similar setup and broke down plays I would be very interested in reading, learning and following their articles.

I expect a lot of you to have different opinions -- and seeing as this is a message board about a sports team I'm sure we have our fair share of fanatics who genuinely want more "coverage".  As I've gotten older, sports in general has consumed a lot less of my time and I can't stand the NFL and the politics being injected into football.  I just like the sport, going to games, embracing victories with those from my hometown and talking about the games with friends and family during the season.

The social media era has had the unintended effect of dissociating the sport from the players.  We have players tweeting nonsense and actual journalists using those tweets to drum up "stories".  I don't think lazy is the right term because, well, it's content and I understand why they do that, but there's very little insight and connections that any of these journalists have with the players beyond what I have access to.  It's not like the old days when they used to be buddies.  When I read someone like Tim Graham breaking down a player's twitter rant I end up thinking that I've wasted my time.  I also read the twitter rant. How about add in some context, do research, contact those around them, see if there's even a story? I can read the twitter rant on my own and make my own assumptions.

I will likely never subscribe to the Athletic because I've more than paid for my share of free coverage by watching ads and being a targeted consumer.  The quality of the content on their site would need to be extraordinary for me to consider it, and even then, I doubt I'd be interested in reading lengthy articles and stories by glorified bloggers.  The one thing I won't do is make fun of those that do subscribe to The Athletic.  The greatest thing to come out of the internet age is for like minded people to find their niche and if being a sports fanatic is your niche, please subscribe and give them all the feedback you can to make it better.

*Edit - a word.

Great post.

When I read someone suggest "you expect to get something for nothing", I think that's mostly nonsense. Our entire lives are being constantly monetized.  If a site collects my email address, and uses cookies, I assume they are probably using that info in some way, to make money. If they have advertising, then I'm certain of it.

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I've never had any bad in-person experiences with Tim. But he got unreasonably nasty in a forum reply a couple times, I recall. And I've seen that side of him many times, on this very forum.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Limeaid said:

Twit-ter - hence meaning.

And I made no discussions about twitter in conversation with him.

And I think he considers you trivial but I don't but I may be wrong.

A perfect example of what I mean...you and Timmuh belong together! 

True story: Micro$oft had already advertised their brower with marketing and their big "IE" logo with name "Internet Exploder" with blurb about Micro$oft exploding onto browser market.

Someone pointed out that when it crashed people would say that the browser "exploded" so marketing guys came up with idea to call it "Internet Explorer" instead and claim it was a typo.

Problem was the copyright for "Internet Explorer" was owned by someone and when Micro$oft tried to buy him out he refused.  They tried to use their laywers to hammer down with legal costs but he resisted for years until Micro$oft conceded and paid him hundreds of millions of dollars.

Words have meaning and trying to change the meaning because you do not like it does not make it right.