1. 1. Best (non-draft) Off-season Addition to the Roster

• Star Lotuleilei
    • Vontae Davis
    • Trent Murphy
    • AJ McCarron
    • Chris Ivory
    • Russell Bodine
    • Marshall Newhouse
    • Other (Streator, Reilly, McCray, Stanford etc.)
  2. 2. Best Draft Acquisition

• Josh Allen
    • Tremaine Edmunds
    • Harrison Phillips
    • Taron Johnson
    • Siran Neal
    • Wyatt Teller
    • Austin Proehl
    • UDFA (Foster, Carter, Boesen, Boettger, Bell, Davis, Porter, Wallace, Cam Phillips, Love, Ford etc.)
  3. 3. Biggest loss

• Tyrod Taylor
    • Cordy Glenn
    • Preston Brown
    • Jordan Matthews
    • EJ Gaines
    • Deonte Thompson
    • Richie Incognito
    • Eric Wood
    • Mike Tolbert
    • Seantrel Henderson
    • Other (Mabin, Johnson etc.)

SInce most of the off-season moves are done prior to team cuts, I was taking stock of all the roster changes this offseason. Thought a Poll might be a good idea. 

My Picks:

Best Offseason (non-draft) acquisition: Trent Murphy followed by Other (Streator / Reilly). I like the Lotuleilei addition - just not fully happy with the price. Contrastingly, I was a bit meh about AJ McCarron signing, but think it is outstanding value at 2 yrs 10 mill.

Best Draft Acquisition: Edmunds with Phillips a close second. I hope to change this choice to Josh Allen a year down the road.

Worst Loss: I am going with Eric Wood followed closely by Deonte Thompson. I am not sure Richie's mind is in the right place to pip these two.

23 minutes ago, skibum said:

Wow, on paper it looks like the losses far outweigh the gains...

Yes it does. But this coaching staff has shown an uncanny ability to get the best out of   less known replacements (who are hungrier) than better known names like Dareus. Let us hope that continues.

19 minutes ago, skibum said:

If we did that every offseason I feel like you'd feel that way most of the time:

2017:

Loss Gilmore, Gillislee, Woods, Goodwin, Graham, & Coleman. (Plus traded Sammy & Darby)

Added: Tre White, Poyer, Hyde, Dawkins, Hauschka, Milano, Wright, Holmes, & Corey Brown

Mind you that hindsight looks amazing with White, Poyer, Hauschka, Dawkins, Milano, & Hyde and that they hit a home run all over but at the time no one saw Tre or Poyer especially being to the level they were and Dawkins/Milano playing really well as they found their footing.

I don't disagree that some of our losses especially O-line wise and the WR corp feels even worse then last year somehow. I hated them not even keeping Deonte Thompson

IMHO, the reason the Bills have been down so long is because they haven't been able to build the team through the draft.

With that in mind, my choice for biggest improvement has been GM Brandon Beane, and HC Sean McDermott.

I think this has been one of the best drafts in a long time.

The biggest loss was losing DC Jim Schwartz a few years back.

• Like (+1) 1

Star, Edmunds, Richie

I'm not worried about the price (not my money), so I voted for Star for what he should bring to our run defense. As a whole, this defense is very "bend, don't break", but so many drives were kept alive by running the ball. Run D was terrible last season, and adding Star should yield longer 2nd and 3rd downs, which should result in shorter drives by opposing offenses. And if that happens, he'll be worth the salary. 

Edmunds for best draft aquisition, but only because Allen is more of a gamble, IMO. Obviously, if Allen pans out, it'll far outweigh any and all other draft aquisitions, but Edmunds seems like more of a "sure thing" than Allen, and his skill set is a great fit for this defense. With what should be a better front 4 and rotation, Edmunds should flourish, and they'll be able to better mix up their blitzes.

Biggest loss is Richie, for his road grading. Many of Shady's best runs were sprung from a big block by Richie, and he moved well for an OL. That being said, he's getting up there, and his time in Buffalo was going to come to an end pretty soon anyways, but he was one of the best guards in the league, and while Vlad played his best ball since being a rookie, he did so on the right side, and is definitely not the same caliber OL as Richie was.  

I voted Star as the biggest non draft acquisition because I believe he will have a major impact on this D, even if his stats don’t necessarily reflect it. 

I voted Josh Allen as biggest draft gain mainly because I pray he is the long term franchise QB we have all been waiting for. That being said, it was tempting to vote Edmunds because I believe he will be a beast and a very exciting play maker on Defense.

and finally, I voted Gaines as the biggest lost because the secondary always seemed to play better when he was on the field, but hopefully we have done more than enough to replace him.

Best FA - Davis may turn out to be the best but Star is the most important.  We really needed someone to shore up the middle of the DL.  

Best Draft Pick - Years from now, we may say Allen.  But right now Edmunds looks like the surest star in the group.

Biggest Loss - with an inexperienced QB and uncertain WR corps, we really need to be able to run the ball and Richie was our best run blocker.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, skibum said:

I disagree. We lost some average starters, sure, but gained some high potential players.

42 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Nothing even comes in as a close second to swapping out AJ/Allen for Tyrod.  (This should be interesting.)

Time will tell on that swap. I thought that Tyrod was an adequate placeholder for an eventual franchise QB pick. We will see if trading him was a mistake.

• Like (+1) 1