Chuck “The Coach” Dickerson Needs His Own Bills Podcast

16 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

In 2018, when just about everyone in sports media has a podcast, it made me think of one person who I feel the podcast medium would be perfect for - “The Coach” Chuck Dickerson!

I would listen to The Coach after each Bills game and his rants would be legendary.  I even remember a few years ago (maybe 2005) when he came back on 1180 AM in Rochester to do a Bills postgame show.  

Coach is still alive and well living in the Chicago area and I really feel that a post Bills game podcast would really be a good listen.  

What do you think?

Idiot. I remember him of course, but what REALLY got me is when I was a kid I had a 3 panel white auto ball. Over a couple years my dad had taken me to enough signings to where there was getting to be only 1 panel left as the other 2 had gotten pretty full. The 3rd had a couple strays but was still largely untouched. Dickerson was at a signing that wasn't billed as his signing... he was just kinda there. Fina finished and set the ball to the side. This fool musta had nothing to do bc no one wanted his auto and he grabs my ball and took up THE WHOLE OPEN PANEL 'the ol' coach' WGR550.

Even back then that pissed me off....

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Idiot. I remember him of course, but what REALLY got me is when I was a kid I had a 3 panel white auto ball. Over a couple years my dad had taken me to enough signings to where there was getting to be only 1 panel left as the other 2 had gotten pretty full. The 3rd had a couple strays but was still largely untouched. Dickerson was at a signing that wasn't billed as his signing... he was just kinda there. Fina finished and set the ball to the side. This fool musta had nothing to do bc no one wanted his auto and he grabs my ball and took up THE WHOLE OPEN PANEL 'the ol' coach' WGR550.

You know, I'll bet William Mattar, Celino & Barnes (if they're on speaking terms) or Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe might be able to make a case out of that.  Look dejected when you tell the story at the deposition.

EDIT:  If you could somehow work in the suggestion that OJ would have confiscated the ball from that Las Vegas hotel room in 2007, but Dickerson's scribbling scotched it, you're in like Flynn.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
I should have stuck with decaf this morning.
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

I can't deny that I genuinley laughed out lout at that. I'm sorry.

He knew his football, granted not as much as he thought he did. He atleast had professional experience to qualify as an expert, at least on paper. I just don't get why he thought he was an expert on hockey, baseball, and other sports.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Great except that defense held the Giants to 10 points at halftime and had a Safety.

If Dickerson was complaining about the defense in that game - he needed to look in the mirror because the offense forgot to show up after blowing up the previous game.

If he complained the next year - he might have a point as Washington just man handled the Bills, but he also had a special place in that because although they were told to provide no bulletin board material - he went out and got quoted making all the pig noises and insulting the Washington OL - which was seen as a huge issue and lead to his firing.

He did have good sources because he had built some friends on the team, but those started evaporating as the offense and defensive coaches and front office starting changing, but he kept acting like he had sources.

He didn’t have to act.  I don’t like the guy, but the fact is that he was very well wired.  

I remember years ago when he had his show I was getting so pissed about his attitude and negativity that i devised a somewhat simple but effective prank towards him and WGR.  I don't remember the exact nuances BUT I sent a fax over to the station with an AP letterhead and really authentic looking copy in regards to the Bills signing someone very high profile. He and the station took it and ran with it full speed. 

I also gave him the phrase " Speed kills" which he ran into the ground ?

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

I remember years ago when he had his show I was getting so pissed about his attitude and negativity that i devised a somewhat simple but effective prank towards him and WGR.  I don't remember the exact nuances BUT I sent a fax over to the station with an AP letterhead and really authentic looking copy in regards to the Bills signing someone very high profile. He and the station took it and ran with it full speed. 

I also gave him the phrase " Speed kills" which he ran into the ground ?

Thats funny.  And dumb on his part for running with it.  There was an easy way to check stuff like that - at one point the station was an AP subscriber and would get “official” AP updates on a machine that basically acted as an inbound fax.  Kudos to you for pulling off a great prank! 

• Like (+1) 1

LOL so I am glad to see I’m not the only fan of The Coach!  I am telling you, a Chuck Dickerson podcast would be really funny and thanks to those who jogged my memory with some funny one liners.

Listening to Coach on WGR actually made me hear what a strong WNY accent sounds like.  It almost sounds like a Canadian/Chicago accent.  People would be like:

”Oh Cooch.  Dat Deefense of Da Billssss was zo bad taday.  I’m gunna be zick da rest of Sundee.”  LOL

We can only hope someone puts together the podcast idea!!!!

19 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

In 2018, when just about everyone in sports media has a podcast, it made me think of one person who I feel the podcast medium would be perfect for - “The Coach” Chuck Dickerson

We need that as much as we need Bucky and Sully taking over WGR play by play of games.

NO!

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

LOL so I am glad to see I’m not the only fan of The Coach!  I am telling you, a Chuck Dickerson podcast would be really funny and thanks to those who jogged my memory with some funny one liners.

Listening to Coach on WGR actually made me hear what a strong WNY accent sounds like.  It almost sounds like a Canadian/Chicago accent.  People would be like:

”Oh Cooch.  Dat Deefense of Da Billssss was zo bad taday.  I’m gunna be zick da rest of Sundee.”  LOL

We can only hope someone puts together the podcast idea!!!!

...put 'em on "The View" between Behar and Whoopi........problem solved.................

9 minutes ago, Dalton said:

He let his personal experience get in the way of objective analysis.  He could have been a good analyst otherwise.

Yes, of course.  That was his schtick.  He was the loud, outspoken coach that got fired for shooting off his mouth.  He played that role to the hilt and made a lot of money doing so.

Even at 80, he’d be money

I was a Coach fan, called his show often.  Then one day I said something he disagreed with and he ripped me a new one, saying "you're the stupidest caller ever".  Never listened a day after that.  Schopp was the same way.  He wanted to be the "anti-Dickerson", "thinking man's sports talk radio", and he was, for a time, on Empire.  Then he moved to WGR, and became increasingly antagonistic to his callers, just as the coach had been.  Neither one of them is worth listening to.