I need help: 2018 Bills Home Opener

I have to add my vote for the Bar Bill in East Aurora as a super spot for both beef on weck and wings.  Made my first visit earlier this week and had the best of both in a single meal.  Out of this world.

Combine that stop with a pre-gameday visit to the Bills store.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/18/2018 at 9:14 AM, PaattMaann said:

Culture: other than live music I can't help you. Culture is lame.

Sorry for waiting so long; I'm more of a lurker here, but this has been bugging me for a couple days now  . . .

I'm not so sure I agree with your take on "culture.". When I grew up in Buffalo, I would have agreed. I just didn't think to look for it. Now that I'm living out of town and married to someone who enjoys art history and pretty much an old man, I've learned to disagree. If culture is your thing, here is a quick list:

The Albright-Knox is a first-rate art museum, and the Buff State Gallery across the street is no slouch. 

In terms of architecture, Buffalo is a must-see for fans of turn-of-the-century stuff. The Ellicott Square building alone is a jaw-dropper when you first walk in, not to mention the Gauranty (sp?) Building, the Old Post Office, etc. We've splurged a couple times when visiting and stayed at the lofts above Pearl Street and the Hotel Lafayette and just walked around. As long as you're there, get to the observation deck of City Hall and get s super-cool look of how Olmstead laid out the city almost like bicycle spokes with parks and squares placed along each spoke.  And stop at the council chamber on your way down; it will almost make you wanna run for city council just to hang in there once a week. I came close to dropping the cash for "Trailer Park Boys Live" at the Shae just to show my wife the inside of that place--we're still waiting on that. Nifty stuff. Heck, if you're at the Buffalo Zoo, see if you can get a quick tour of Frank Lloyd Wright's Darwin-Martin House. The short drive down Rt. 5 to GreyCliffe might be worth it . . . but last time I was there, they weren't done with the renovations.

Buffalo also has a lot of Erie Canal related history, but it's not easy stuff to find. The new Teddy Roosevelt Inauguration House on Delaware is pretty cool. I haven't done it, but I've heard the grain silo tour is "meh." Check out Buffalo River Works for a taste of the silos and have a beer.

Anyway, I'm not sure I would call Buffalo's culture lame, but I agree that the city doesn't do as much as it might to promote what it has.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/4/2018 at 6:56 PM, Mark Vader said:

Got my hotel booked.

I'm all in now. Can't wait to see you all there! GO BILLS!!!

Where in WNY...I can give a short list of eateries for pizza,BOW and italian but I don't want to send you to a place in Clarence if you're staying in Hamburg,since you only have one day to work with.

23 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Where in WNY...I can give a short list of eateries for pizza,BOW and italian but I don't want to send you to a place in Clarence if you're staying in Hamburg,since you only have one day to work with.

I'm staying next to the airport

8 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I'm staying next to the airport

Anderson's on union for beef on weck,Santora's on Transit for pizza and college football and LaBella's on Genesee for italian.You can hit up all of these places in a t shirt and shorts and all are within ten minutes of your hotel.Enjoy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/5/2018 at 4:31 PM, slipkid said:

Sorry for waiting so long; I'm more of a lurker here, but this has been bugging me for a couple days now  . . .

I'm not so sure I agree with your take on "culture.". When I grew up in Buffalo, I would have agreed. I just didn't think to look for it. Now that I'm living out of town and married to someone who enjoys art history and pretty much an old man, I've learned to disagree. If culture is your thing, here is a quick list:

The Albright-Knox is a first-rate art museum, and the Buff State Gallery across the street is no slouch. 

In terms of architecture, Buffalo is a must-see for fans of turn-of-the-century stuff. The Ellicott Square building alone is a jaw-dropper when you first walk in, not to mention the Gauranty (sp?) Building, the Old Post Office, etc. We've splurged a couple times when visiting and stayed at the lofts above Pearl Street and the Hotel Lafayette and just walked around. As long as you're there, get to the observation deck of City Hall and get s super-cool look of how Olmstead laid out the city almost like bicycle spokes with parks and squares placed along each spoke.  And stop at the council chamber on your way down; it will almost make you wanna run for city council just to hang in there once a week. I came close to dropping the cash for "Trailer Park Boys Live" at the Shae just to show my wife the inside of that place--we're still waiting on that. Nifty stuff. Heck, if you're at the Buffalo Zoo, see if you can get a quick tour of Frank Lloyd Wright's Darwin-Martin House. The short drive down Rt. 5 to GreyCliffe might be worth it . . . but last time I was there, they weren't done with the renovations.

Buffalo also has a lot of Erie Canal related history, but it's not easy stuff to find. The new Teddy Roosevelt Inauguration House on Delaware is pretty cool. I haven't done it, but I've heard the grain silo tour is "meh." Check out Buffalo River Works for a taste of the silos and have a beer.

Anyway, I'm not sure I would call Buffalo's culture lame, but I agree that the city doesn't do as much as it might to promote what it has.

No no no you misunderstood me (or I wasn't clear). I'm not saying "the culture in Buffalo is lame", I'm saying "culture/being interested in culture is lame!!" 

Going to museums is generally lame. Going to look at the Erie Canal related history is lame. Going to look at buildings built by some dude is lame! 

Your taking a freaking two day trip to see a football game and you want to go see musicals and look at old buildings????

as you pointed out, there is good culture in buffalo if that's your thing, I'm saying those things in general are lame - no offense of course 

Hammer lot is overrated. But its more old school if thats what youre looking for. They dont allow table smashing etc.

Get there early 8/830. The tailgate goes fast. Pace yourself. Drink liqour over beer so youre not in the bathroom peeing the game away. Eat and save food for after. Be nice and loud. Cheers 

3 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

No no no you misunderstood me (or I wasn't clear). I'm not saying "the culture in Buffalo is lame", I'm saying "culture/being interested in culture is lame!!" 

Going to museums is generally lame. Going to look at the Erie Canal related history is lame. Going to look at buildings built by some dude is lame! 

Your taking a freaking two day trip to see a football game and you want to go see musicals and look at old buildings????

as you pointed out, there is good culture in buffalo if that's your thing, I'm saying those things in general are lame - no offense of course 

Aaah, gotcha! You’re not saying that Buffalo’s culture is lame; rather, you’re saying that my interest in culture is lame. I’m sorry that I misunderstood.

Obviously, I have a lot of soul-searching to do. In the meantime, if you know of a good divorce attorney, send me some contact info.

1 hour ago, The Alpha Fire said:

Hammer lot is overrated. But its more old school if thats what youre looking for. They dont allow table smashing etc.

Get there early 8/830. The tailgate goes fast. Pace yourself. Drink liqour over beer so youre not in the bathroom peeing the game away. Eat and save food for after. Be nice and loud. Cheers 

Anyone who does table smashing is just too cool for the idiots who like to stand vertically and appreciate their internal organs. ?