I need help: 2018 Bills Home Opener

4 hours ago, Augie said:

I like to stay at the Hampton Inn near the Creekview (former Creekside?) when I get back. I love going there, but I don’t get the beef on weck there anymore. Poor execution the last few times....but that was years ago. 

I’ve only hit the Glen Park Tavern once, and it was great but that was also years ago. My local buddy suggested it, and he was right. 

I hope to be at the Hampton Inn Thursday-Saturday for the home opener, then downtown at a Hilton related place before the game. My son is dating an awesome young lady who works for Hilton, and she can get amazing hotel rates! They are currently at the Waldorf in Orlando for $50/night. 

My wife works for Hilton.  We get awesome deals. The Embassy downtown was great when we went.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Personally I wouldn't go to Hammers Lot as early as some say, you'll be fine rolling in at 9ish.  

The stadium always rocks wherever you sit, but the lower you go the louder it is.  You'll have a blast.  We owe the Chargers a smack in the mouth for the beatdown they gave us.  I'm hoping Peterman plays and lights em up.

• Like (+1) 1

Some graphic but good advice. 

Whatever you do, if you have the ability, eat before the game such that you do not have to use a sit down toilet for the entire time you are at the stadium before and during the game.

Then again I go sober, so if you are blind drunk you may not notice the filth. :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. By all means, keep 'em coming. I need all the advice I can get.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Why did you become a Bills fan?

Jim Kelly is the reason why.

I liked him as a QB when he was in college. Then he was drafted by the Bills. I paid more attention to him when he started to play for the Bills, then I started cheering for the Bills as a team.

That's it. :)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Stay downtown and then uber to and from the game if you like to drink. Or drive to Hammers lot if your not going to over indulge. If you stay in Orchard Park there isnt much to do around there.

what do you like? do you like live music? do you like craft beer? do you do bars? love food?

Craft beer: Big Ditch, Community Beer Works, Resurgence and Pressure Drop are all downtown area and have great beers

Restaurants: you want to get chicken wings obviously. 9-11 Tavern is in South Buffalo and has great wings, you could take a day trip out to East Aurora on Saturday (25 min from downtown) and eat at Bar Bill Tavern - they have amazing chicken wings AND beef on weck, which is what you want to eat if your looking for Buffalo cuisine. If you want a "nice" meal, like treating yourself to something fancy, either go to Tempo or Bacchus (both downtown and both amazing). 

Bars: if your looking for bar experience, check out Chippewa for at least a half hour, just stroll up and down it on Saturday night and you will see some craziness, its not usually my scene because its pretty young, but still fun to see. There are also a couple bars you can pop in and enjoy yourself and not feel old (The Local, Bada Bing). I would go to any of the above mentioned breweries though myself. 

Culture: other than live music I can't help you. Culture is lame. If you want to see live music, Buffalo Iron Works has good bands, Town Ballroom and The Tralf Music Hall are both right down town and are bound to have some good music friday or saturday night. 

Gameday: def. go to Hammer's lot because the TBD meetup will be there, and theres always tons of guys and gals from here that you can meet, and there will be plenty of food and drink options at that tailgate for an out of towner like yourself without any gear. Get there around 7 and enjoy yourself. Might be worth it to leave for the stadium around 11:30/11:45 if you want to see the fieldhouse or the Bills store (if you are into that, its very kid geared though) or just to walk through the other parking lots and see all the tailgates on your way in. Take a few walking drinks and enjoy yourself. 

I would personally offer to hang with you during any and all of these activities, but I will be in Delaware the night before the home opener for a wedding. Will be getting in the car and driving right after the wedding, 8 hours back to Buffalo and jump right into tailgate mode. So perhaps I will see you at Hammers/TBD HOT - ENJOY!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

What I need from all of you is advice and suggestions you may have on where to stay(hotels, area of the city etc.), what to see, where to eat, and how early I should get to Hammer's Lot.

To be safe, Hammer's lot at 7 am.  I think we got there at 6:45 on the home opener last year, and it was starting to fill up.  

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

does she have any sisters, my boys need some good girls, lol

Does she have sisters? HA! This is a family that had SIX girls! Add in mom and it was 7-1. She describes her father as “a saint”!  I can’t imagine what that was like....

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Born and raised in Buffalo. I left about 22 years ago and I try to make it back once a year or so. Here is my check list:
Wings -- Everyone has their opinions you really can't go wrong unless you try.

Beef on Weck

Mighty Taco -- Bufflao version of Taco bell. But obviously way better.

Pizza -- seen notes on wings

Italian- usually Ilio Dipaolo's 

Niagara Falls -- every 5th trip or so for me. If you've never been do a Maid of the Mist ride. Bring your passport and go to the Canadian side.

I can't help with hotels but downtown is better if you are looking to do anything past 11pm.

Hope that helps. Have a great trip. I'd like a report to hear how things ended up.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mississaubills said:

Also, have you thought about staying in Toronto for a night?  

1 hour ago, qwksilver said:

Born and raised in Buffalo. I left about 22 years ago and I try to make it back once a year or so. Here is my check list:
Wings -- Everyone has their opinions you really can't go wrong unless you try.

Beef on Weck

Mighty Taco -- Bufflao version of Taco bell. But obviously way better.

Pizza -- seen notes on wings

Italian- usually Ilio Dipaolo's 

Niagara Falls -- every 5th trip or so for me. If you've never been do a Maid of the Mist ride. Bring your passport and go to the Canadian side.

I can't help with hotels but downtown is better if you are looking to do anything past 11pm.

Hope that helps. Have a great trip. I'd like a report to hear how things ended up.

Since I will be there for a short time, a trip to Canada is highly unlikely. I may not even get to do the Falls, I don't even have a passport.

Saturday I may just end up watching a lot of college football. So I may just look for a sports bar and spend most of my day there.

If I don't end up seeing any of the sights, that's fine. My purpose in going is to see the Bills at a home game.....and to go to Hammer's Lot.

qwksilver, thank you for the food suggestions. That is another topic I would like to address to everyone here.

I don't care for wings and I'm not a drinker. Further proof that I am not originally from Buffalo.

I do love good food. So where in Buffalo can I get.....

The best Pizza? The best Beef on Weck? The best Italian? 

Major mistake if you do not go to the falls. Although the Canadian side is better, the American side is still awesome. Definitely do the Maid of the Mist (it leaves from both sides) and Caves of the Winds. 

I moved to So Cal in '93. I plan to go to the Chargers game with two friends who lived their whole life in So Cal and became Bills fans in the early '90s. We went last year to the home opener (Jets) as well and of course we've gone when the Bills have come out West; Arizona a few years ago (Edwards concussed on first play), San Diego a few times, San Fran something like 12 or 15 years ago, LA for the Chargers last year and the Lambs the year before.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't care for wings and I'm not a drinker. Further proof that I am not originally from Buffalo.

You might be in for a bit of an awakening at the home opener tailgate.

• Haha (+1) 1

I can't believe there are actually people telling an out-of-towner to go to Mighty Taco.  Come on, Buffalo, you're better than that.

Best beef on weck is at Bar Bill in E. Aurora.  Great wings too.  Just take cash -- they don't accept plastic.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Since I will be there for a short time, a trip to Canada is highly unlikely. I may not even get to do the Falls, I don't even have a passport.

Saturday I may just end up watching a lot of college football. So I may just look for a sports bar and spend most of my day there.

If I don't end up seeing any of the sights, that's fine. My purpose in going is to see the Bills at a home game.....and to go to Hammer's Lot.

qwksilver, thank you for the food suggestions. That is another topic I would like to address to everyone here.

You probably don't care about wings because you've never had wings in Buffalo.  Get some wings. Do the right thing.  Be a man.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

After all these years, looks like you and I chose the same season to get to our first home game. I’m not going until December though because I had to wait until college football was done. Had I known you were going to the home opener, I would have adjusted my schedule!

im thinking about making this trip once a season from now on though.

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, mead107 said:

Sent you a PM. 

This is all you will need. BUT, dont try calling him on game day....

3 hours ago, qwksilver said:

You might be in for a bit of an awakening at the home opener tailgate.

As far as not being a drinker, thats me. Even though the absence of alcohol passing my lips I absolutely love the tailgate "sights". Both the ones that tip the can often and those that dont at all are great to drum up excitement for our BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

you can go to the American side to see the falls

Charlie the Butcher for Beef

La Nova for pizza 

Don't know about Italian.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Like (+1) 1

There are some nice hotels in the West Seneca area, which are very close the 219 thruway, which will take you to the stadium. The Hampton Inn, and Staybridge suites are both on Slade Ave in west Seneca, and I know the staybridge is less than 10 years old. You should probably stay downtown Friday night, spend all day Saturday checking out downtown. Then get a hotel in west Seneca, so you will be close to the stadium.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

After all these years, looks like you and I chose the same season to get to our first home game. I’m not going until December though because I had to wait until college football was done. Had I known you were going to the home opener, I would have adjusted my schedule!

im thinking about making this trip once a season from now on though.

That's great. How ironic that we make it there the same year.

I am also thinking about making this a once a year trip, but we shall see.