I need help: 2018 Bills Home Opener

I wasn't sure if this should be an "Off the Wall" thread or not. Mods if you feel it is, please move it there.

Anyway, I'm asking everyone here for help on this year's Bills home opener against the Chargers.

As some of you may know, I'm one of the unusual Bills fans that is not originally from Buffalo or any area near it. I am born, raised and living in California. While I have been to many Bills away games, I have NEVER been to a Bills home game, nor have I ever been to Buffalo.

This year, I plan on changing that. Every Bills fan tells me, that if there is one game I should attend, it should be the regular season home opener. And that is what I want to do.

What I need from all of you is advice and suggestions you may have on where to stay(hotels, area of the city etc.), what to see, where to eat, and how early I should get to Hammer's Lot.

I plan on only being there for a short time. More likely arrive on Friday and then leave Monday.

I'm not worried about getting tickets for the game. However, if anybody out there needs to share a hotel room or has room for me to join them, that would be great.

So there you have it. I look forward to hearing back from you and I hope I see you all on September 16.

GO BILLS!!!

Born and raised in Buffalo, but I left a long time ago. I’m sure you’ll get fantastic advice from others. I just chimed in to say you are in for one amazing experience! 

Oh, and I hope to see you there! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

As for where to stay I’m not that great with hotels because I don’t have to use the local ones ? lol

but 716 is a great spot to hit downtown... Buffalo Iron works downtown is amazing as well.

the dinosaur BBQ probably has the best BBQ in Buffalo as well. 

The Buffalo zoo is always a nice play to go as well 

• Like (+1) 1

Charlie the Butcher's is a good stop and it happens to be conveniently located near the airport. I know when people think of Buffalo, their mind automatically goes to wings, but my opinion is that the beef on weck is more "Buffalo" than wings.

1 minute ago, Zebrastripes said:

I have to respectfully disagree with you and say Fat Bobs is the best bbq in the city.

Fat Bobs is top notch.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

That's too bad.  I was there a couple weeks ago and it was as good as always.

I do agree they are 1-2 in the city .. I went out with my father for Father’s Day and I just passed them and said I needed a full rack ?

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, sodbuster said:

Charlie the Butcher's is a good stop and it happens to be conveniently located near the airport. I know when people think of Buffalo, their mind automatically goes to wings, but my opinion is that the beef on weck is more "Buffalo" than wings.

Charlie the Butcher overrated IMO.  The sandwich is good but the restaurant itself is a dump, they haven't put a dime into it in decades unless they've done so recently.  No beer either as I recall.  Just a couple miles from there is the Creekview or the Glen Park Tavern both on Main Street in Williamsville. Buffalo Brew Pub nearby too.  Good beef with much better atmosphere and bar at each of those.  Lots of places though to get a good beef on weck and that is an absolute must for first time Buffalo visitors. 

4 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I wasn't sure if this should be an "Off the Wall" thread or not. Mods if you feel it is, please move it there.

Anyway, I'm asking everyone here for help on this year's Bills home opener against the Chargers.

As some of you may know, I'm one of the unusual Bills fans that is not originally from Buffalo or any area near it. I am born, raised and living in California. While I have been to many Bills away games, I have NEVER been to a Bills home game, nor have I ever been to Buffalo.

This year, I plan on changing that. Every Bills fan tells me, that if there is one game I should attend, it should be the regular season home opener. And that is what I want to do.

What I need from all of you is advice and suggestions you may have on where to stay(hotels, area of the city etc.), what to see, where to eat, and how early I should get to Hammer's Lot.

I plan on only being there for a short time. More likely arrive on Friday and then leave Monday.

I'm not worried about getting tickets for the game. However, if anybody out there needs to share a hotel room or has room for me to join them, that would be great.

So there you have it. I look forward to hearing back from you and I hope I see you all on September 16.

GO BILLS!!!

You should get to Hammer's Lot between 6:30 AM and 7:00 AM . Any later the traffic will be crazier.  Arriving that early will give you plenty of time to spend with Kenny's Red Pinto Group and the TBD Group plus meet others there too.  Also you should head for New Era Field 90 minutes before kickoff so that you can see The Fieldhouse then soak up all the Pregame atmosphere.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, keepthefaith said:

Charlie the Butcher overrated IMO.  The sandwich is good but the restaurant itself is a dump, they haven't put a dime into it in decades unless they've done so recently.  No beer either as I recall.  Just a couple miles from there is the Creekview or the Glen Park Tavern both on Main Street in Williamsville. Buffalo Brew Pub nearby too.  Good beef with much better atmosphere and bar at each of those.  Lots of places though to get a good beef on weck and that is an absolute must for first time Buffalo visitors. 

I like to stay at the Hampton Inn near the Creekview (former Creekside?) when I get back. I love going there, but I don’t get the beef on weck there anymore. Poor execution the last few times....but that was years ago. 

I’ve only hit the Glen Park Tavern once, and it was great but that was also years ago. My local buddy suggested it, and he was right. 

I hope to be at the Hampton Inn Thursday-Saturday for the home opener, then downtown at a Hilton related place before the game. My son is dating an awesome young lady who works for Hilton, and she can get amazing hotel rates! They are currently at the Waldorf in Orlando for $50/night. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

I have to respectfully disagree with you and say Fat Bobs is the best bbq in the city.

I went to fat Bob's a few yrs ago and it was awful, probably the only time I didn't take my leftovers home.

6 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

GO BILLS!!!

Why did you become a Bills fan?

2 hours ago, sodbuster said:

Charlie the Butcher is amazing, had a prime rib sandwich and it was the best sandwich I ever had. Excellent flavor and so tender that you could bite right through it like ham.

2 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

why change it, not paying for a building, the meal is all that matters.

37 minutes ago, Augie said:

I like to stay at the Hampton Inn near the Creekview (former Creekside?) when I get back. I love going there, but I don’t get the beef on weck there anymore. Poor execution the last few times....but that was years ago. 

I’ve only hit the Glen Park Tavern once, and it was great but that was also years ago. My local buddy suggested it, and he was right. 

I hope to be at the Hampton Inn Thursday-Saturday for the home opener, then downtown at a Hilton related place before the game. My son is dating an awesome young lady who works for Hilton, and she can get amazing hotel rates! They are currently at the Waldorf in Orlando for $50/night. 

does she have any sisters, my boys need some good girls, lol

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, sodbuster said:

Fat Bobs is top notch.

Agreed. Moved from Buffalo 25 years ago. When I think of Buffalo it’s Beef on Weck.  You can get wings anywhere, outside of WNY people don’t even know what weck is.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SNICE said:

Agreed. Moved from Buffalo 25 years ago. When I think of Buffalo it’s Beef on Weck.  You can get wings anywhere, outside of WNY people don’t even know what weck is.

Start saving your pennies. If the schedule rotation holds,the Bills will be in Arlington to play the Cowboys next year. The Dallas Fort Worth Bills Backers west location Buff Bro Brothers in Fort Worth meets every standard for beef on weck. The owner/cooks have Buffalo ties.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1