The Shift

KD in CA

Shift Controversey  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should MLB outlaw the Shift?

• Yes, I hate how often everyone uses it now
    • Hell no, learn how to hit to the other side

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

The one place they'll never be in behind the fences. Someone alluded to small ball being the new model and I think that's incorrect. The forward minded organizations focus on home run hitters. Even Beane has somewhat abandoned his GOB philosophy. The best player on the A's is an all or nothing guy who rarely hit over .250 before this season.

I'm a Tigers fan so I basically took this season off. 12 years of contention with no ring to show for it. It'll be awhile before that team is even competitive.

Whoever told you that small ball is the new model is out to lunch. The new model is the three outcome at bat: HR, walk, strike-out. I hope it swings back, but if it doesn't so be it. Until further notice I'll still watch.

Hard to believe those Tigers teams didn't seal the deal. I'm a Mets fan. I've used this line before but the team is like cicadas. Every 17 years or so we wake up and make a lot of noise and then we go quiet. Was 1984 a thing for you?  '86 was for me. Been a long f'n time.

Sports aside, I hope you and yours have a Happy Thanksgiving!

10 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Whoever told you that small ball is the new model is out to lunch. The new model is the three outcome at bat: HR, walk, strike-out. I hope it swings back, but if it doesn't so be it. Until further notice I'll still watch.

Hard to believe those Tigers teams didn't seal the deal. I'm a Mets fan. I've used this line before but the team is like cicadas. Every 17 years or so we wake up and make a lot of noise and then we go quiet. Was 1984 a thing for you?  '86 was for me. Been a long f'n time.

Sports aside, I hope you and yours have a Happy Thanksgiving!

When I mention the Tigers collapse, most people, even baseball people, say something along the lines of, "at least they won a WS." Unlike the Phillies, there was most certainly not a WS title in the run. Very annoying indeed.

And yes, 1984. I was 4 so years old so I have a vague recollection. Kirk Gibson was the man well before the Dodgers HR. So you've got me beat by two years.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Living in Toronto, an AL East city, has its ups and downs for what it means to be a baseball fan.

with the DH and tiny stadiums and massive bankrolls the division is basically a slo-pitch organization , cavemen swinging from the heels no matter the count or score, no room for subtlety or the “small game” at all, no matter what hindsight analysis tries to argue otherwise 

Boston spends a ton of time in propaganda activity pretending they do anything but spend like the Yankees and swing for the fences, but it is total BS, don’t fall for this for one second 

(seems half the games are an early 6-0 lead staked out that gets challenged by an inevitable 7 run response and games take 5 hours to get through 8 and a half innings)

most years I start to loathe this by July and watch games in the NL or AL Central, seems a purer form of the game

but then I realize that nothing compares to watching the Yankees and Red Sox spend billions and try to hit the living crap out the ball every single pitch

when I go to or watch a NL game I get frustrated that they let a pitcher go to the plate for grossly inferior appearances

if I mention this to a local fan they just shrug and don’t seem to care at all about the concept

Edited by row_33