Is your Dad the reason you’re a Bills fan?

Yep.  I was a Raiders fan when I was little.  Read "Ken Stabler and the Oakland Raiders" hundreds of times.  My Dad then took me to a Raiders - Bills game in Orchard Park.  I remember the tailgating was awesome and the game atmosphere was unbelievable.  By the end of the game, I was a Bills fan, and I never looked back.

It was the opposite for me.  Grew up in WNY so obviously the Bills were the big thing in town but my Dad wasn't a diehard fan, more casual, too caught up with work back then to really care etc.  I got my fandom from my Uncle and Grandpa.  Over time my Dad became much more into the Bills because of my interest in them and nowadays he is a much bigger fan than when I was growing up.  

Nope... not my dad.  My parents came from Germany and couldn't care less about American Football.  Neither could either of my older brothers.

I was always the only one in the family to watch the games.

13 hours ago, N-Y-C-BillsFan said:

Yes.  My Dad also taught me the difference between "you're" and "your"........

He managed to make that mistake twice in the title. I wonder if it was purposeful.

My Dad never really loved sports...he'd watch Syracuse basketball more than anything else and some Syracuse football, but not much else. But when he'd see me watching the games as a teenager he would do his best to talk to me about them and sometimes he'd spend a little time watching it with me. We did watch Syracuse games together more often and we went to one SU basketball game, but not much else. We've always bonded more over movies and food than anything else.

I came to love the Bills and Sabres despite my step-brothers and step-sister being a NY Rangers fan, Giants and Cowboys fans. There was just always something about the mystique of WNY and the way I identified with the team and it's fans more than I did the Giants. Once I latched on, that was it....I was hooked for life even when I truly wished I wasn't. 

In the fall of 1970 our school had a foreign exchange student from West Germany.

Yes, he played soccer but also wanted to kick for the American football team.

His parents knew nothing of American football, so he told them to watch the movie M*A*S*H.

He told them the end of the movie featured American football.

After watching that, their response was  Nein !!! Nein !!!

12 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Nope... not my dad.  My parents came from Germany and couldn't care less about American Football.  Neither could either of my older brothers.

I was always the only one in the family to watch the games.

yes. my father and i are canadian, he went to school in buffalo and rochester and became a casual fan. when kelly started playing he just had to show me this brilliant quarterback who calls his own plays and runs an offense like no other. jumped on the bandwagon right when they started getting good...and never left.

My dad was from Greece and tried to force feed me soccer...I hated it and had to sort of blaze my own trail when it came to "American" sports.  I guess when I was 8 years old I was a bit of a front runner. Huge Bills, Rangers, Mariners, Sonics fan. I stayed loyal all of these years with both the Bills and Mariners being bad for so long.  I know this is Sabre country....and though I am a NY Rangers fan, my favorite player growing up was Alexander Mogilny. I also loved the Sonics and quit the NBA when they moved to OKC. 

Go Bills!

My dad isn't the reason I'm a Bills fan.

He is, however, the reason I kept watching the comeback game vs. Houston.  He gave me the old, "hey ... you never know ..."

On 6/16/2018 at 10:53 PM, TigerJ said:

My dad was many things, but football fan was not one of them.

On the other hand, my son is a Bills fan, and I can probably take a little credit for that at least.

Nope, my dad's from Indy and as a result a Colts fan. Yet I was born in Buffalo but always liked the west coast (as grew up an Oakland A's/Rickey Henderson fan) so my early team of choice was the Raiders because of Marcus Allen. Yet once the Bills trounced the Raiders in the AFC Championship I became a Buffalo homer and haven't stopped since. 

On 6/16/2018 at 7:43 PM, Paulus said:

Ditto.

Little known fact: Helping to make a kid a Bills' fan is a form of child abuse. Not according to federal law ... Yet.

Actually years ago the joke was just the opposite...something like...

A child goes to the police station claiming abuse

The officer says, can I take you to your parents.

The child says, no they beat me.

The officer says, can I take you to you grandparents

The child says, not they beat me as well.

The officer says, well where can I take you?

The child says, take me to the Buffalo Bills, I hear they don't beat anyone...

• Haha (+1) 1

Yes. Dad and Mom grew up in Buf (I was just born there) and Dad took me to my 1st game when I was 8 in 1979 against the Bears when Walter Payton flipped over our entire D-Line and had the only score of the game. :)

Nope.  I love and admire my father but for some strange reason he always loved the Raiders and that loathsome toad Al Davis.  We moved away from Watkins Glen when I was 13, and being a Bills fan helped me stay loyal to my childhood.  

Although...  I was a pretty good kid, what did I do to deserve this?!  ;)