Is your Dad the reason you’re a Bills fan?

For me it was.  My dad used to work in Buffalo for a bit so he was the one that introduced me to the Bills and their fans.  He was never a big football fan but rooted for the Bills to win a Super Bowl during those years as it'd be good for the city.  That's where the foundation of me liking the Bills was planted.

Happy Father's Day/Weekend to all the Dads here.

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

It may sound odd to some, but it’s one of the things for which I am most thankful. Dad went from 2 to 4 seasons at the Rockpile when I was about 6, and I was SOLD! 

Sure, success has been rare and fleeting, but my obsession led to my kids obsession, which has led to a wonderful bond. You can’t put a price on that! 

• Like (+1) 1

Season ticket holder from 1960 - 1988; just got tired of battling traffic on Sundays. In the 1960's growing in the Buffalo area you were a Bills fan, just as natural as Genesee Beer and chicken wings!

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

For me it was.  My dad used to work in Buffalo for a bit so he was the one that introduced me to the Bills and their fans.  He was never a big football fan but rooted for the Bills to win a Super Bowl during those years as it'd be good for the city.  That's where the foundation of me liking the Bills was planted.

Happy Father's Day/Weekend to all the Dads here.

Nope, Grandpa.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes. I’ve never lived in Buffalo but that’s where my dad is from.

Ditto.

Little known fact: Helping to make a kid a Bills' fan is a form of child abuse. Not according to federal law ... Yet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

My dad is the reason I am everything I am. Bills fan, world traveler, business-focused, family-first. He would go to games when I was a kid and, when they were on TV, I would spend the whole game scanning the stands to find him. As I got older, we went to games and listened on the radio and watched on TV with him. He's gone now, but I am proud to carry on his legacy. I wouldn't want to have lived my life any other way than as a Bills fan and as a son that followed his fathers great traditions.

• Like (+1) 1

Yep... sure is. Grew up watching the Bills every Sunday with my Dad from the very late 80s throughout the 90s while I was still in school living at home. It was the Sunday ritual of waking up with the family, going out to breakfast, going to Church, coming home, watching pre game stuff, then butterflies for kickoff and dinner right after the game.

It was an awesome tradition.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

It may sound odd to some, but it’s one of the things for which I am most thankful. Dad went from 2 to 4 seasons at the Rockpile when I was about 6, and I was SOLD! 

Sure, success has been rare and fleeting, but my obsession led to my kids obsession, which has led to a wonderful bond. You can’t put a price on that! 

As I re-read that, it occurs to me that some people have called me a terrible parent for exactly that!  Screw ‘em, I say!!! 

• Like (+1) 2

I've shared this before but since you asked....

Yes, in an off hand way. Growing up on Long Island I first started watching football in the early 70's. Dad was from Chicago with no strong allegiance to da Bears. Jets and Giants weren't very good and devoid of superstars - Namath was on his last legs. I have a vague memory of him scoring on a naked bootleg in his last season as a Jet.

Somehow I ended up being a "fan" of a different team each year for a few years until my Dad set me straight and told me that being a fan of the Super Bowl winner after the fact wasn't really being a fan. At the time I loved the Juice. The Bills were from NY, so I went all in on them. It's been a rough ride, but I don't regret it one bit.

58 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Nope, Grandpa.

Same.  Spent every Sunday at my grand parents house listening to him complain about every play (good or bad).

I think about how annoying it was as a kid and realize I've become that same grumpy old man.

5 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

My father is a Patriots fan so no, i was a young kod in a bar with my father watching the Bils play in the snow as a kid. Thought it was so awesome i beca,e a fan of this team.

Well at least it wasn't the other way around.  I would have disowned you.