Is your Dad the reason you’re a Bills fan?

No, my dad didn’t follow football much. I was a Steeler fan as a kid. Hated everything that was Dallas Cowboy! I was 18 when the Bills drafted Bruce Smith and being from Western N.Y. I felt that the Bills were more of what I’m about. Been Billieven ever since!

39 minutes ago, Doc said:

No, but I'm the reason my son is a Bills fan.

Ditto.

My uncle is probably the main reason I am a Bills fan. He won a lot of money betting on them and beating us in madden using the Bills when we were younger. When I was around 18 he took me to a game in Buffalo and the Bills have been my favorite team then on. I had just started off my drinking career and I was averaging 217 in bowling. He said if you like the Bills, Drinking, Wings and Bowling then you will love Buffalo and I did.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

Funny enough I am actually a Bill's fan because of my mom. My mother and my grandfather connected through the Bills and when I left for the military the Bill gave my mom and I a connection over the distances. It's still the one thing we can talk about for hours without getting bored. 

No. I blame Uncle Joe. He showed me how good the Bills were in '64 & '65 on the old black and white in NJ while Dad and family were in the dining room socializing before dinner.

10 years later I went back to NJ from Oregon and told  Uncle Joe he would be proud of me as I was still a Bills fan. Uncle Joe told me he was never a Bills fan. He was a Giants fan.

Father's day is over guys, move along. (hate the artificial hallmark holiday, my dad tells me not to make the trip to visit because his idea of father's day is sleeping in until 3pm, walking around in underwear for maybe 3 hours for steaks to be made, and passing out again.. and not having to be perky if I visit lol.. anything else is just "work", "obligation" on YOUR day!.. and I agree with him 100%!)

My parents grew up in Warsaw, less than an hour from Buffalo. Also where i was born. Their divorce was final in 1988. My sister and I would go to visit my dad on weekends. On Sundays NASCAR and/or Buffalo Bills football were on tv at my dad's house. I had taken an interest in NASCAR prior to my parents splitting up but not football. For some reason, something clicked during that 1988 season and I started watching Bills games with my dad. That was the beginning of an obsession for me. My dad took me to my first game in 1991. He took me to my first 4 or 5 games. For the last 18 years or so, I've been taking my dad to games as his birthday present.

• Like (+1) 1

In an unintentional way,  yes.

I grew up in Northern Virginia, about 45 mins from DC. First football game I ever watched was the Bills vs Redskins Super Bowl. My dad started explaining the game to me, and I picked up on all of it instantly. However, I couldn't figure out why the heck him, my uncles and cousins, and friends that were over all liked the Redskins due to the Bills colors & logo naturally being much better looking lol.

I saw the ugly maroon (burgundy, I know) and muted yellow (gold), and that boring Native American face on the helmet & couldn't get past it. The Bills logo looked badass, and the uniforms clicked. They all thought it was funny, but my dad was just happy his 5 year old son got so into football, so he let me stay up with everyone.

When they lost, I told him it's ok, I still like them and will watch them in the Super Bowl next year. He had a friend that worked at the same company in Buffalo at the time, and within a week, I had dozens & dozens of packs of football cards, including full Buffalo Bills roster sets, shipped from there to me. Then hats, T-shirts, posters, etc. as I flooded my room with Bills stuff. By the time the next season started, I already knew every single player. I even got a map of the US, found Buffalo on it, and circled & drew around it, saying that's where I wanted to move one day.

Thankfully, while I was growing up, the Bills were really good, so I never changed teams or grew into being a Skins fan like my massive family. Most kids are fickle & flip between popular teams, but by the time the Bills started sucking, I was already 14 & too old to ever consider switching allegiances. And the whole time, my dad supported it, and any time the Bills played the Skins in DC, he'd take me (it was great watching Flutie kick their butts from 1st row 50 yard line!)

A few times since the drought I've asked him "why the hell did you let me grow up a Bills fan!?" as, it was just too depressing, and I sure would try my best to get my kids get into the Bills. He just said he was happy I liked football so much, and gave us something to do together. Rude, right?!

No, dad's not much of a football guy actually. For me it was my uncles on my mom's side of the family that got me into the bills. 

Edited to add: if anything, dad probably follows the bills more now because of me being a fan than he did before.

Edited by Chandemonium

On 6/27/2018 at 11:26 AM, Mark80 said:

Please tell me this title was intentional...both uses wrong.  Has to be on purpose, right?

I was about to say the same thing.

I'm going to assume is unintentional as he knows there are two versions and used them both opposite of their proper usage.

My Dad was born in Buffalo and was 14 when he went to the Rockpile to watch the team.  He dropped the Browns, and went Bills.  He cursed me and my sister with the team and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

3 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

I was about to say the same thing.

I'm going to assume is unintentional as he knows there are two versions and used them both opposite of their proper usage.

But he gets points for being consistent, right? He does know the difference and has in fact used them properly, back in the days of yore. 

• Haha (+1) 1