Is your Dad the reason you’re a Bills fan?

I'm not a Bills fan because of my Dad, that's because of my wife. But I am a football fan because of my Dad.

he sold the Cowboys printing in 1960 by cold calling them.He kept the account til he retired in 1987. He got us a job selling programs at the games.  We were Huge fans til JJ ruined it.  He died in 1995 and I.still miss him a lot.

Then in 1995 I met my future wife who was a big Bills fan. I watched games with her and decided I can root for these guys. Officially became a Bills fan in 1996.

SO,  yes and no.

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

My dad isn't the reason I'm a Bills fan.

He is, however, the reason I kept watching the comeback game vs. Houston.  He gave me the old, "hey ... you never know ..."

I was with the family at friends that day....with the understanding that the Bills game would be on. No exceptions. Our host was a Kentucky basketball fan, who insisted on changing over to hoops when things looked out of control. I may have gotten a little loud, but he went to his bedroom to watch his game on a mini-TV. He came back out, and to this day I know which game he remembers! 

• Haha (+1) 1

Yes. His family moved to buffalo and at age 19 he knocked up my 15 year old mother. Got stationed in Plattsburgh. I was born on base. Moved back yo T-Town when I was a baby. Mom's family always hated him, but he was a Buffalo Bills fan anyway. Here I am.

On 6/16/2018 at 4:43 PM, Paulus said:

Ditto.

Little known fact: Helping to make a kid a Bills' fan is a form of child abuse. Not according to federal law ... Yet.

Same same... He was a military brat raised near Rochester with a mom from Tonawanda who LOOOOVEED her Bills... As a So. Arizona native, he most definitely made me this way... Plus it's not like it was hard to not like the Cardinals in Arizona, especially when it was the early 90's. Regardless I am a Bills fan for life and this yr him and I will get matching Bills tattoos to commemorate our fandom together  (retro standing buffalo for me and new logo for him). 

On 6/16/2018 at 7:08 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

In the 60’s it was either the Bills or Giants on Rochester ?.   

I gravitated to the Bills 

So I guess since dad watched .... 

In Rochester, we use to get a lot of Browns games also.  Still a good many Browns fans in ROC. I don't remember the AFL Bills being on a lot in Rochester, as the home games were blacked out, regardless of sellout, until 1973.

I started out a Raider fan, who were on TV it seemed like every Sunday, loved Daryl Lamonica, then moved to the Vikings after they lost to the hated Chiefs in Supe IV.  

Went to the first game at then Rich Stadium on September 30, 1973 and have been a Bills fan since.  Of course, that was the year every kid in WNY had a "Miami's Got the Oranges, But Buffalo's Got the Juice" t-shirt, so it was an easy transition.  

I had no choice, my Dad had the original account for the programs that were sold at the stadium. Part of the gig was he had to do extra artwork for the programs. His cartoons were the original Buffalo Bills cover art. He got $35 per home cover and a few bucks for some advertising inside where they would take the head shots of the players and put them on the cartoons of players dressed in the same clothes as Buffalo Bill. As a kid (we both had the same name) I would watch him draw the cover art and he would "hide" our name in the cartoon. If I couldn't find it, he knew it was too well hidden.

image.jpeg.dd65176f4237b56ed7b58fda4754e0df.jpegimage.jpeg.84fde5e6e56e408624e6b816233f3eb5.jpegimage.jpeg.73cd84ccc45955dbe5dadae25141fea2.jpeg

Edited by Guffalo
  • Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Guffalo said:

I had no choice, my Dad had the original account for the programs that were sold at the stadium. Part of the gig was he had to do extra artwork for the programs. His cartoons were the original Buffalo Bills cover art. He got $35 per home cover and a few bucks for some advertising inside where they would take the head shots of the players and put them on the cartoons of players dressed in the same clothes as Buffalo Bill. As a kid (we both had the same name) I would watch him draw the cover art and he would "hide" our name in the cartoon. If I couldn't find it, he knew it was too well hidden.

image.jpeg.dd65176f4237b56ed7b58fda4754e0df.jpegimage.jpeg.84fde5e6e56e408624e6b816233f3eb5.jpegimage.jpeg.73cd84ccc45955dbe5dadae25141fea2.jpeg

This is outstanding!  You should contact Paul or Phil over at uni-watch.com as they're always on the lookout for stories like this.  REALLY cool stuff!!!!

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:05 PM, Another Fan said:

Is your Dad the reason you're a Bills fan?

For me it was.  My dad used to work in Buffalo for a bit so he was the one that introduced me to the Bills and their fans.  He was never a big football fan but rooted for the Bills to win a Super Bowl during those years as it'd be good for the city.  That's where the foundation of me liking the Bills was planted.

Happy Father's Day/Weekend to all the Dads here.

Yes he is.

He did not have a favorite team so I had to choose my own.

Edited by cba fan

Yes and no for me. He took me to the only football game I have ever been to, even though he had no interest in the game. were travelling the US and Canada at the time and I wanted to see a game so as we were at Niagara Falls Buffalo it was. That was late 80's and have been a Bills fan since. 

I couldn't follow it like I do now. Access to football news in Australia and early internet days was dismal.

Edited by downunderbill
Spelling