Is your Dad the reason you’re a Bills fan?

I grew up (and still live) about 60-75 miles Northwest of NYC.

My father was a federal agent, and was transferred to the Buffalo office 6 months after my parents bought a new house here (I was 4).

My mother was a county union nurse, and they had picked the school district for me, so they didn't want to uproot and move with the school, mom's job, and the house being underwater.

This was early 1989.

My father HATED Buffalo so much, mostly i think because he was commuting 6+ hours (driving up Sunday night or early Monday morning, coming home Friday late), but also hates big snow storms, and hated his boss up there.

He did this for 6 years.

He hated it with a passion.

Hated all things Buffalo.

He wouldn't even eat Buffalo wings.

Used to complain about hating Buffalo all the time.

My father and I have a great relationship, and we have "trolled each other" since I was young.

So I thought it best to troll him by saying my favorite team was the Buffalo Bills, so I could wear hats and shirts and have posters that said "Buffalo" on them.

Used to drive him insane.

I went all in on the Buffalo Bills, figured I should get to actually watching them and such since I was wearing all their stuff.

That was my major reason for picking them, to troll my father.

A couple of additional bonuses were that kicking e in my area, it's all Jets and Giants fans.

I hated them both before I even liked the Bills, so it worked out perfectly.

Then my best friend whom I met that same year I started following the Bills was a staunch dolphins fan, as was his father.

So I grew up watching games with him, watching Kelly and Marino battle for our entire childhoods.

Him and I were always fiercely competitive against each other in everything: sports, video games, everything.

I'm not sure if it's because of our NFL rivalry, or if our NFL rivalry was just a perfect fit for our friendship.

Either way we don't talk much anymore, he lives across country, I'm married with a kid, he's married to a wonderful man (yes, he came out a few years ago, I knew since we were teens) and travels the world with him.

We hadn't spoken in nearly a year.

He called me up (same cell # since I was 17 haha) after we drafted Allen and said "man you guys can kiss my a**, I really wanted him in Miami. I was hoping draft Rosen after that so we could have a QB rivalry again. Allen is going to be a stud. F*ck the Bills. 

It was like we never missed a beat! 

My Dad and his pals had 4 season tickets to the bills in the 60's and from from 1965 through 1972 I went to at least one game a year then.

In '73 when the new stadium was built their wives wanted to go because it felt safer to go again, so I was out.

• Another Fan changed the title to Is you're Dad the reason your a Bills fan?

Yes! I was I big steelers fan as a youngster but my dad was a bills fan and would often get free tickets through his company Mosler Safe. This was all thru the mid to late 80s and early 90s so my dad took me to some real memorable and historic games!!! So no way a young kid is gonna witness that time period with goal posts getting ripped down etc. And stay a steelers fan. I remember the first game he took me too I wore my steelers hat and got heckled a little bit lol but my dad was a real big guy so nobody messed with me too much lol. Miss you dad thanks for all the memories!! 

Back in 1971, I was 6 years old when I went to my first game with my dad, my grandpa and my 2 uncles. I got to sit with the cooler full of beer and sandwiches. Back in the day, you'd bring your own food and beers and I was hooked. We'd listen to games on the radio together if we couldn't make it to the game. Wow, have times changed. And my dad is the best reason I became a Bills fan. 

Home games were like my big, fat Buffalo wedding. My dad would bring the mobile home to the lot and we'd camp overnight. Get up early and start grilling. We'd have a tailgate with 45-55 people, then all charge into the stadium. Most of my best memories of Bills football were with my dad.

100% dad and mom went to UB in the early 70's and got hooked on the Bills. I was born in 75'. We watched every game every year. Listened on the radio if the broadcast was not carried in Utica.  As a very young fan my first memories are of the 1980 and 81 teams. I remember 79' vaguely but Ferguson was great those two years. I will always feel like 1980 in SD could have been different if Fergy didn't sprain his ankle. I think we would have beaten the Raiders in Buffalo as we did 10 years later. I love the irony in that though.  Dad and I have suffered through all the ups and downs ever since (like the rest of you?). To me as long and difficult as the drought was 1984 and 1985 were worse. Those two years were rock bottom. Dad and I listen to every game as none were televised in Albany the market we had moved to. So yes my Dad is the reason I'm a Bills fan. Happy Father's Day to all of you dads on TSW. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Lenigmusx said:

To me as long and difficult as the drought was 1984 and 1985 were worse. Those two years were rock bottom.

Every Coach Stephenson post game interview made you think the Bills had won some great moral victory, despite losing 53-2.  Every Coach Bullough post game interview made you think he was on Pabst Blue Ribbon can #5.

• Like (+1) 2

My uncle and grandfather would send me bills gear to convert me. Dad's a Dolphins fan because they had pretty Jerseys. It all came together one year when I started following the standings halfway through the year, saw the JP Losman dick juaron bills pushing for 8-8 with a shot at the wildcard. They weren't on ever so I tried radio, finally saw the bills 7-8 playing 7-8 browns with a slim playoff chance if a ton of things went bills way. Bills didn't even win but watching all the guys I was hearing from the radio, I was hooked. Game was like 10-7 browns with the Bills running a screen on 4th and 8 late and the game. Didn't make it. And i thought "maybe they'll do it next year" 

So no but I carried the family torch despite my dad.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

14 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

My uncle and grandfather would send me bills gear to convert me. Dad's a Dolphins fan because they had pretty Jerseys. It all came together one year when I started following the standings halfway through the year, saw the JP Losman dick juaron bills pushing for 8-8 with a shot at the wildcard. They weren't on ever so I tried radio, finally saw the bills 7-8 playing 7-8 browns with a slim playoff chance if a ton of things went bills way. Bills didn't even win but watching all the guys I was hearing from the radio, I was hooked. Game was like 10-7 browns with the Bills running a screen on 4th and 8 late and the game. Didn't make it. And i thought "maybe they'll do it next year" 

So no but I carried the family torch despite my dad.

I remember that game. There was a good bit of hype going into that.  It was a blizzard back in 07. But the teams recrods were actually a little better than you recall and the score was different. Bills were 7-6 and Edwards had taken the job by that point and the browns were 8-5. Score was 8-0. Awful game to watch. Lol. The kicker is the browns finished a very solid 10-6 and STILL missed the playoffs that year. OUCH. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200712160cle.htm