Is your Dad the reason you’re a Bills fan?

Nope, the bills vs Giants was my first SuperBowl and first football game I watched ever. My mother’s bf at the time was a huge jets fan. He tried bonding with me so we watched the super bowl together and he asked what team I wanted to root for, he told me both teams are from New York. I asked him who he was rooting for and since he was a jets fan he said he hated the bills and rooted for the giants. So, naturally I rooted against him and for the bills. I was 5 at the time and been hooked ever since.

Edited by Captain Murica

Before my Dad passed away in 2002, he worked security for the Bills. He worked his way up and eventually was stationed in the administration building. When I went to games, I got to visit him. Back in the 90s, the players, coaches, and media would come through there after games. I was not even 10 at the time and got to meet so many cool people (OJ even sat down next to me once and asked for some of my caramel popcorn I was going to town on). My Dad told me a story of Colts game in 1990 when Jeff George got knocked out with a concussion. My Dad had to babysit him when he was on a stretcher in the tunnel so he wouldn't try to get up. I owe my love of all Buffalo sports to my Dad. 

Edited by Stads
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

You're.

Your Dad is the reason you know how to use an apostrophe too?

My parents were from the Twin Cities but they really embraced Buffalo when we moved there.  They shared season tickets to the Sabres and became Bills fans, which lasted even though we moved away after only 7 years.  So yeah, combination of Dad and timing of being born in Buffalo instead of in the NYC 'burbs where we lived before and after.

My dad was a cowboys fan and I became a bills fan during the four straight super bowl run of the early 90s. So even though I’ve never considered the possibility until I read this thread... hmmmm... maybe? In some f’d up form, he is?  Bills v Giants was the first game I ever saw, so that’s how it all started, but could have been those last two brutal games against Dallas that solidified it for me and made me a lifer

50 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

Nope, the bills vs Giants was my first SuperBowl and first football game I watched ever. My mother’s bf at the time was a huge jets fan. He tried bonding with me so we watched the super bowl together and he asked what team I wanted to root for, he told me both teams are from New York. I asked him who he was rooting for and since he was a jets fan he said he hated the bills and rooted for the giants. So, naturally I rooted against him and for the bills. I was 5 at the time and been hooked ever since.

Damn dude, me too. I feel for you.

Edited by BobBelcher

Nope. My mother's side of the family is from Buffalo so I got my Bills fandom from her. My dad is a Cowboys fan from the Staubach days. He also likes the Giants because he's from Jersey. He's not as invested in his teams, so despite them winning three Super Bowls against my mother's Bills, it wasn't as inspiring as the pride and toughness that Buffalonians possess. 

The memories I have with him connected to the Bills not only made me a Bills fan but will always bring a smile to my face. He may not be my biological father but I will always choose him above any one else just like my beloved Buffalo Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Watched a 1963 Bills-Patriots game on t.v. with him (I was 6) and I was hooked. He started treating me to a game a year at The Rockpile in 1968 (including the final Bills game there against the Lions) and Rich Stadium after that, and I was addicted. We still watched every Sunday afternoon game together last year (he was 95). He passed away last week. I have no idea how I will be watching Bills games this year. 

• Sad 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1