Favorite Beatles Album

Gugny

Your Favorite Beatles Album  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which Beatles album is your favorite (not necessarily which you think is best) and why?

• Please Please Me
    • Meet the Beatles
    • Hard Day's Night
    • Beatles For Sale
    • Help!
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • White Album
    • Yellow Submarine
    • Abbey Road
    • Let it Be
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (out of order, but I somehow left it out)

6 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I'm not a Beatles lover, nor am I a hater, I just don't know all of their music.

Thankfully the topic is which is my personal favorite, so I chose the one that I heard the most often when I was growing up as a kid, which is whatever my parents played the most or which was played most often at parties we went too.

That would be Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Although I do know that my parents played Rubber Soul & Abbey Road fairly often too. I just found myself liking Sgt. Pepper's more.

That pretty much sums it up  for me. I had the red and blue greatest hits albums but more often than not when I'd listen to a studio album, it just didn't interest me. Abbey Road,  and in particular the medley, was the exception for me. Easily my favorite.

Fav: White Album

Best: Revolver (UK)

They”re all great though. Maybe not side 2 of Yellow Submarine lol, but Hey Bulldog is easily s top 20 or so Beatles song for me.

Edited by Rico

In the last two nights, I've listened to Revolver, Rubber Soul, White Album, Abbey Road, Let it Be and Sgt. Peppers albums.  As I write this, I'm listening to the last of Sgt. Peppers.

They are all so incredible.  I forgot how much I loved the Let it Be album.  For a band on their way out, they had a hell of a lot of fun recording those songs.

Someone mentioned the Blue/Red albums.

I'm 47.  When I was 8 or 9, my brother (6 years older) and I shared a bedroom.  He had the blue and red albums.  That was my intro to the Beatles.  Loved them instantly; especially Paul, which led to my loving Wings and his solo stuff through the 80s and early 90s.

I wonder how many others were introduced via the blue/red albums.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Someone mentioned the Blue/Red albums.

I'm 47.  When I was 8 or 9, my brother (6 years older) and I shared a bedroom.  He had the blue and red albums.  That was my intro to the Beatles.  Loved them instantly; especially Paul, which led to my loving Wings and his solo stuff through the 80s and early 90s.

The Rock’n’Roll double album plus Rarities also got big play in the 70s, along with the release of the singles Got to Get You Into My Life and Obladi-Oblada and Strawberry/Penny to Top 40 around 1976.

Shameless milking....

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Revolver and it’s not close

I agree......when it comes to Beatles albums, this one takes it hands down.

I don’t think a whole lot of people will agree with the choice, but this is the best pure Beatles showcase of their talent by a long shot.

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

I was. I always like the blue one better than the red one, but both of them turned me into a Beatles fan.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

If one is a Beatles fan it is impossible to declare a single album as a favorite.

Disagree. Not all the songs are great. For instance, I think Maxwell’s Silver Hammer is just OK, dropping AR a notch for me below the White Album. Others would say the same for Revolution #9 and Yellow Submarine (not me though). Then again, I would change a thing about any of them.I’ve listened to White Album more than the others over the past 50 years it’s been out, so my choice is simple.

Edited by Rico

Through my wife we got to be friends with a bunch of very high profile (Rock & Roll HOF) musicians many years ago. We’d have dinner parties (with emphasis on the PARTY) at each other’s homes. What would we listen to at their place? The Beatles, of course. Great times! 

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I've always had a soft spot for the first one (Veejay records), A taste of honey still gives me goosebumps... but the whole album is great.

Same with Beatles 65 and Yesterday and Today... mid albums with great stuff that sometimes gets overlooked in their catalog.

Yellow Submarine is so much George Martin that I almost don't consider it a Beatles album.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rico said:

Disagree. Not all the songs are great. For instance, I think Maxwell’s Silver Hammer is just OK, dropping AR a notch for me below the White Album. Others would say the same for Revolution #9 and Yellow Submarine (not me though). Then again, I would change a thing about any of them.I’ve listened to White Album more than the others over the past 50 years it’s been out, so my choice is simple.

Exactly.

There are some Beatles songs that I don't like a lot.  But Revolution #9 is the only one that I will say "sucks."  Waste of time/space on an otherwise fantastic album.

Not to cop out but it seems like it is the Beatles album I am listening to at the moment.  Not this moment, but whenever I listen to one. I always really like it.   I just watched the "The Beatles the Touring Years" which I had saved to DVR.  Great show.   I will always be impressed at the way they created songs on such a short time span.   They were always under the gun to produce the next album.

There are some interesting video's I have seen and if I can find them on you tube when I have time, I will link them.   Part of the Beatle magic was taking common chords and playing them in a unique way.   It is part of the reason their music was always so refreshing.