Favorite Beatles Album

Gugny

Your Favorite Beatles Album  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which Beatles album is your favorite (not necessarily which you think is best) and why?

• Please Please Me
    • Meet the Beatles
    • Hard Day's Night
    • Beatles For Sale
    • Help!
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • White Album
    • Yellow Submarine
    • Abbey Road
    • Let it Be
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (out of order, but I somehow left it out)

in 1968, Jane Asher publicly announces she is through with Paul

Paul goes back to his flat with 4 willing fans living there, or maybe this was Francie or Linda-time.

Francie was a great internet contributor in the late 1990s for her anecdotes and stuff from that era.

More work on Sexy Sadie today in 1968, things were getting uglier and uglier....

not sure what day the take of John calling the Maharishi a c-unit occurred, it was nice of Paul to interject they should maybe stick to the kinder version

Geoff Emerick's resignation kept going in to a second week, didn't fully return until April 1969, some spot work in between.

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Work on Sexy Sadie and Yer Blues.

Yer Blues is probably the best song that many rock fans don't know but would admire by The Fab Four

The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus album/TV special has this song on it. Credited to a made up band called "The Dirty Mac." It's really John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards (on bass actually), and Mitch Mitchell. Probably the best version out there for obvious reasons. 

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

29 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus album/TV special has this song on it. Credited to a made up band called "The Dirty Mac." It's really John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards (on bass actually), and Mitch Mitchell. Probably the best version out there for obvious reasons. 

Fully agreed, a privilege to see a non-hit performed live like that.

The third side of the White Album has been argued as the only time they were "really cool."

Heavy work in 1968 this day on What's the New Mary Jane, along with others in process

This would have been an awesome side 2 track to parallel Revolution 9 on side 4.

wonder if the producers and engineers had finally stopped worrying about John by this point and just shrugged and went with it

7 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Thanks for the link.   Doesn't appear to be in chronological order though.  For bit it felt like I was 16 again,

Saw a 14 minute jumble of takes 4 and 5 on YouTube as well. John filled up precious studio time with Rev 9 and all this over a few months on EMIs watch

nobody else could have done that, nobody else could have released that double album with all that (great) content as well

Just now, row_33 said:

Saw a 14 minute jumble of takes 4 and 5 on YouTube as well. John filled up precious studio time with Rev 9 and all this over a few months on EMIs watch

nobody else could have done that, nobody else could have released that double album with all that (great) content as well

Rev 9 is officially the only Beatles "song" that I cannot stand.

25 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Rev 9 is officially the only Beatles "song" that I cannot stand.

I remember when I 3, in 1969, and listening to it with headphones and demanding it be replaced by  Bungalow Bill. My mother changed the record and made some comment about not having a clue what John thought he was trying to do.

Rev 9 is kinda tame compared to a lot of “classical composer music” from that era, sadly...

———- so who on earth set me up with the White Album on headphones when I was 3....

thanks!!!

I've fallen so in love with the song Penny Lane I had to look up the lyrics and then look up what they meant and other things about the song. It made it onto the list of Rolling Stones top 500, at 456, which seems fair enough to me. The references in the song are interesting. From Wiki: 

The mysterious lyrics "Four of fish and finger pies" are British slang. "A four of fish" refers to fourpennyworth of fish and chips, while "finger pie" is sexual slang of the time, apparently referring to intimate fondlings between teenagers in the shelter, which was a familiar meeting place. The combination of "fish and finger" also puns on fish fingers.[10] Ian Macdonald suggests an LSD influence, and that the lyrical imagery points to McCartney first taking LSD in late 1966. However, he also cites a different story, which dates McCartney's first LSD trip to 21 March 1967. Macdonald finishes with the comment: "Despite its seeming innocence, there are few more LSD-redolent phrases in the Beatles' output than the line ... in which the Nurse 'feels as if she's in a play' ... and 'is anyway'."[11]

And there's this: 

On 17 January 1967, trumpet player David Mason recorded the piccolo trumpet solo.[16] The solo, which was the result of a suggestion from McCartney after seeing a BBC performance of Johann Sebastian Bach's second Brandenburg Concerto,[17] is in a mock-Baroque style for which the piccolo trumpet (a small instrument built about one octave higher than the standard instrument) is particularly suited, having a clean and clear sound which penetrates well through thicker midrange textures.[18]According to lead sound engineer Geoff Emerick, Mason "nailed it" at some point during the recording; McCartney tried to get him to do another take but producer 

The trumpet sounds just like blue skies 

Everything I've read about Beatles songs with drug references, seem to be wrong. The songs the public guessed were drug references The LSD "Lucy Sky Diamonds" thing, seem to be false. Although the song writing definitely seems to have been influenced by it, not written directly about the drug. Everybody involved to this day holds to the story that it's Julian's drawing of his friend Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

On the contrary, a song like "Got To Get You Into My Life" which sounds like an innocent enough song about love for a woman, Paul has said is literally a love song to marijuana.