Favorite Beatles Album

Gugny

Your Favorite Beatles Album  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which Beatles album is your favorite (not necessarily which you think is best) and why?

• Please Please Me
    • Meet the Beatles
    • Hard Day's Night
    • Beatles For Sale
    • Help!
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • White Album
    • Yellow Submarine
    • Abbey Road
    • Let it Be
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (out of order, but I somehow left it out)

John, Paul, George and Jimmie?
On June 3rd, 1964 Ringo Star having collapsed with tonsillitis was hospitalized. The Beatles on the eve of their tour of Australia were in a real pickle. George Martin suggested using a stand-in dummer and he recommended Jimmie Nicol. Jimmie had been on a session that played Beatle covers titled Beatlemania so he already knew the songs and their arrangements. John and Paul accepted the idea but George out of loyalty to Ringo threatened to pull out of the tour. George: "If Ringo's not going, then neither am I. You can find two replacements." George caved. With a quick rehearsal at Abbey Road Studio, Jimmie packed his bags and 27 hours later he was on stage playing in front of 4,500 Beatle fans. Nicol was given a mop-top hairstyle, borrowed Ringo's suits and his black pearl Ludwigs (see photo). Jimmie played a total of eight shows with the Beatles. Ringo rejoined the tour on June 14th in Melbourne. Jimmie Nicol was a great drummer who came along and played Ringo's parts perfectly and then quickly faded into obscurity.

Image may contain: 4 people, people playing musical instruments and indoor

• 1 month later...

Last night's cooking soundtrack was Rubber Soul, immediately followed by Revolver.

It reminded me of a time in 2003, hanging out in my buddy's car before heading into a Lollapalooza to see Jane's Addiction.  We were chilling out to Revolver and commenting on how we both loved Paul's harmony in the lyric, "by my window," from "I'm Only Sleeping."  I sent him a text to let him know that memory had popped into my head.

Re: listening to these two albums back-to-back, he said, "No better two-for in rock and roll."

I immediately said, "ooooh … now THAT is a great topic." 

Trying to figure out how to frame a thread for all of us great music fans to discuss what we think are the best "back-to-back releases," in rock.

Zep provides a challenge.  Personally I think I'd say III - IV.  But then I think about how awesome I - II and II - III were.

Police Outlandos - Regatta is a great one.

Thread worthy???

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Last night's cooking soundtrack was Rubber Soul, immediately followed by Revolver.

It reminded me of a time in 2003, hanging out in my buddy's car before heading into a Lollapalooza to see Jane's Addiction.  We were chilling out to Revolver and commenting on how we both loved Paul's harmony in the lyric, "by my window," from "I'm Only Sleeping."  I sent him a text to let him know that memory had popped into my head.

Re: listening to these two albums back-to-back, he said, "No better two-for in rock and roll."

Trying to figure out how to frame a thread for all of us great music fans to discuss what we think are the best "back-to-back releases," in rock.

Zep provides a challenge.  Personally I think I'd say III - IV.  But then I think about how awesome I - II and II - III were.

Thread worthy???

We have three Beatles threads going right now. It's the off season. Everything is thread worthy. Go for it. Lol.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Thread worthy???

then followed with Sgt Pepper.... 3 for 3 

with Penny Lane/SFF as a two sided single in there... amazing

Another contender for consecutives is The Stooges and then Fun House and then Raw Power

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, row_33 said:

then followed with Sgt Pepper.... 3 for 3 

with Penny Lane/SFF as a two sided single in there... amazing

Another contender for consecutives is The Stooges and then Fun House and then Raw Power

Okay ... I think it's thread worthy.  Keep a lookout!

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Okay ... I think it's thread worthy.  Keep a lookout!

having trouble with this...

certainly no Doors or Grateful Ddsd back to back

Stones:  Let It Bleed/ Sticky Fingers / Exile on Main St

Fresh Cream / Disraeli Gears

put in the first post of this thread....

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

Thread worthy???

Well, there's

Beggars Banquet -> Let It Bleed

Let It Bleed -> Sticky Fingers

Sticky Fingers -> Exile On Main Street

but the winner is Highway 61 Revisited -> Blonde On Blonde

• Like (+1) 1