Favorite Beatles Album

Gugny

Your Favorite Beatles Album  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which Beatles album is your favorite (not necessarily which you think is best) and why?

• Please Please Me
    • Meet the Beatles
    • Hard Day's Night
    • Beatles For Sale
    • Help!
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • White Album
    • Yellow Submarine
    • Abbey Road
    • Let it Be
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (out of order, but I somehow left it out)

17 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Back in the 90's someone mentioned Paul McCartney in front of an intern. Her response was, "Isn't that the guy from Wings?"  Well, she wasn't wrong. But sheesh.

met a few Beatles fans who despise him that much to say that seriously....'

47 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Back in the day, Linda was far more hated than Yoko in my crowd. Everyone blamed her & Macca for breaking up the band.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Rico said:

Back in the day, Linda was far more hated than Yoko in my crowd. Everyone blamed her & Macca for breaking up the band.

still my favourite ***** move to put Linda in as a music creative element to scoop 1/5 of the Beatles royalties along with the other four....

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:20 PM, Reed83HOF said:

Another album after Abbey Road was being discussed

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/sep/11/the-beatles-break-up-mark-lewisohn-abbey-road-hornsey-road

“It’s a revelation,” Lewisohn says. “The books have always told us that they knew Abbey Road was their last album and they wanted to go out on an artistic high. But no – they’re discussing the next album. And you think that John is the one who wanted to break them up but, when you hear this, he isn’t. Doesn’t that rewrite pretty much everything we thought we knew?”

Lewisohn turns the tape back on, and we hear John suggesting that each of them should bring in songs as candidates for the single. He also proposes a new formula for assembling their next album: four songs apiece from Paul, George and himself, and two from Ringo – “If he wants them.” John refers to “the Lennon-and-McCartney myth”, clearly indicating that the authorship of their songs, hitherto presented to the public as a sacrosanct partnership, should at last be individually credited.

This is a great insight... 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

I won't say I despise Paul, but I have about zero interest in his solo music. Far too sappy for me.

2 hours ago, Rico said:

My recollection is they were about equally blamed and hated. You may have a better feel for that, though.  At least Yoko had some talent, even if one doesn't  like her taste.

15 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I won't say I despise Paul, but I have about zero interest in his solo music. Far too sappy for me.

My recollection is they were about equally blamed and hated. You may have a better feel for that, though.  At least Yoko had some talent, even if one doesn't  like her taste.

Heavily a John fan, but the MacLen collaboration is the best pop/rock music act of my existence. They were able to improve the individual work of each other, thank goodness, it showed when they went solo.

John & Yoko did whatever they could to be weird and alienate casual fans.

34 minutes ago, The Dean said:

For me, he had his moments, but nothing since Denny Laine split

Or Paul's attempt to write a more Lennonish song than Lennon, this one always made me laugh putting that 1000 mile reverb on the vox:

Edited by Ralonzo

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Plastic Ono Band (John's version) and All Things Must Pass were most worthy.

A lot of Paul's solo hits as well.

A few of Ringo's, he was a big deal on top 40 radio for a year or so...

When I listen to Ram, I can’t help but think how astronomically better the good tracks would’ve been with Lennon singing backup instead of Linda. The others aren’t really missed on POB and ATMP.

2 hours ago, The Dean said:

Yeah, I can’t speak for everyone, but that’s the way it felt to us kids.

16 hours ago, Rico said:

When I listen to Ram, I can’t help but think how astronomically better the good tracks would’ve been with Lennon singing backup instead of Linda. The others aren’t really missed on POB and ATMP.

Yeah, I can’t speak for everyone, but that’s the way it felt to us kids.

It felt like Paul was meandering for the earlier solo stuff, trying to put out "albums" when his calling was crating solid singles

Beatles albums have very little filler for the fans, people that are meh about the band have given me interesting views on filler on Beatles albums, always welcomed any comment on them...  :D

then again his move with his $$$ was to bugger off to a farm in Scotland with his earth mother, both not remotely raised for this kind of thing, i am glad that i believe they found happiness, it must have been hell trying to keep his thing together from the White Album going forward.

Edited by row_33

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

It felt like Paul was meandering for the earlier solo stuff, trying to put out "albums" when his calling was crating solid singles

Beatles albums have very little filler for the fans, people that are meh about the band have given me interesting views on filler on Beatles albums, always welcomed any comment on them...  :D

then again his move with his $$$ was to bugger off to a farm in Scotland with his earth mother, both not remotely raised for this kind of thing, i am glad that i believe they found happiness, it must have been hell trying to keep his thing together from the White Album going forward.

Very sweeping generalization, but for the most part, I would say Beatles songs sung by Ringo = filler.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Rico said:

Very sweeping generalization, but for the most part, I would say Beatles songs sung by Ringo = filler.

I agree 100% re: Ringo's songs.  I feel like he would have made a ton of money making an album geared toward children.  He could have been an original Wiggle.

9 minutes ago, Rico said:

Help from my friends has to be his best imo. Octopus's garden as a then 9 year old was pretty neat for a bit.

39 minutes ago, Rico said:

how can you hate on Ringo?

I Wanna Be Your Man is very good

Don't Pass Me By, both mono and stereo mixes, are a perfect eclectic addition to Side Two

His overt country&western covers on the early albums helped counterbalance the semi-C&W songs of John and Paul during that phase, besides C&W got superhot for rock acts like Dylan, Stones, Byrds, Grateful Dead... Ringo was a pioneer...

George and John sent R to try to placate Paul during the breakup, and Paul blasted him mercilessly on the doorstep.... it was over....  :(

33 minutes ago, T&C said:

Help from my friends has to be his best imo. Octopus's garden as a then 9 year old was pretty neat for a bit.

don't say anything remotely thoughtful or critical about Abbey Road on here.....  :D

even if 2/3 of AR was filler....

• Haha (+1) 2

The brief fast light cymbals and the the guitar/drums at the beginning of "It don't come easy" got me back then, WKBW days, and gets me every time nowadays... kind of like the beginning of Badge. 

The McCartney album had mixed reviews that have changed from then to now but I've got to hand it to the guy... It wasn't the best of times for him, a lot of stress, then but to play every instrument on an entire album on a major label is impressive.

Only two other guys I can think of who could pull something like that off would be Todd Rundgren or Jeff Lynne. 

25 minutes ago, T&C said:

The brief fast light cymbals and the the guitar/drums at the beginning of "It don't come easy" got me back then, WKBW days, and gets me every time nowadays... kind of like the beginning of Badge. 

The McCartney album had mixed reviews that have changed from then to now but I've got to hand it to the guy... It wasn't the best of times for him, a lot of stress, then but to play every instrument on an entire album on a major label is impressive.

Only two other guys I can think of who could pull something like that off would be Todd Rundgren or Jeff Lynne. 

Stevie Wonder played it all on a few albums of the 70s, and they are still masterpieces

it was nice of George to give him It Don't Come Easy for a top hit

Ringo had a half-dozen solo hits, my favourite (for the concept of a 10-pound bag of cocaine...)

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Stevie Wonder played it all on a few albums of the 70s, and they are still masterpieces

it was nice of George to give him It Don't Come Easy for a top hit

Ringo had a half-dozen solo hits, my favourite (for the concept of a 10-pound bag of cocaine...)

No idea on Wonder, interesting. Never bought any of his material and just heard what was on the radio whenever.

Funny you mention the no no song. Back in HIGH school in the 70's I was sort of dating some chick named Rhonda. Her mom knew I smoked pot, didn't know about the other stuff we all did though, and bought me a cassette of Ringo's "greatest hits", might have been called Photograph.

This mom was a Hawk. There was no really being alone with the virgin daughter, every time I went over to see her doors were wide open, back deck was always suggested, etc. Yes I wanted in but it got to a point where I thought I'd be killed or maimed if I even attempted it.

Turns out she bought the cassette for me for the no no song... I guess she thought she was going to "cure" me with it. 

I eventually got to take the girl on a solo date, took her to Watkins Glen, and didn't even try. Figured I'd drop her off later on and go hit my side girl Brenda up for the puss. I soon lost interest in her because of the sterile strict environment.

So, in this case, that song actually worked but for a different reason lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

how can you hate on Ringo?

I Wanna Be Your Man is very good

Don't Pass Me By, both mono and stereo mixes, are a perfect eclectic addition to Side Two

His overt country&western covers on the early albums helped counterbalance the semi-C&W songs of John and Paul during that phase, besides C&W got superhot for rock acts like Dylan, Stones, Byrds, Grateful Dead... Ringo was a pioneer...

George and John sent R to try to placate Paul during the breakup, and Paul blasted him mercilessly on the doorstep.... it was over....  :(

Oh I’m not hating on Ringo, it just is what it is. Just cause a song is filler doesn’t mean it’s bad, his songs are good filler, I enjoy them all. 

• Like (+1) 2