Favorite Beatles Album

Gugny

Your Favorite Beatles Album  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which Beatles album is your favorite (not necessarily which you think is best) and why?

• Please Please Me
    • Meet the Beatles
    • Hard Day's Night
    • Beatles For Sale
    • Help!
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • White Album
    • Yellow Submarine
    • Abbey Road
    • Let it Be
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (out of order, but I somehow left it out)

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:39 PM, row_33 said:

------------------------------------

1966, this day, John was working on Strawberry Fields Forever, and Paul on When I'm Sixty-Four

no further comment...

Why no further comment?

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Why no further comment?

comparing what was going on with them, John writing a psychedelic masterpiece and Paul a weak music hall jest...

in 1968 John had 12 more years to live.

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Sobering.

i'm sorry i forgot the anniversary on the weekend

woke up that morning and Ticket to Ride was followed by Happiness is a Warm Gun and Mind Games on the radio and I knew something was up...

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

i'm sorry i forgot the anniversary on the weekend

woke up that morning and Ticket to Ride was followed by Happiness is a Warm Gun and Mind Games on the radio and I knew something was up...

Yeah, it's one that I definitely never forget.  Such a sad, sad time.

19 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i was 14, it was crushing

I was 9 (turned 10 a month later).  My mom woke me up to tell me in the morning.  But she told me that it was Paul McCartney.  I loved the Beatles at 10, but I was also a big Wings/McCartney solo fan.  Radio had Beatles songs on every station, it seemed.  Then I found out it was John Lennon.  Still very heartbroken.  I remember cutting he article out of the newspaper and pinning it up to my wall in my bedroom.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

How did everybody here feel about "Let it Be: Naked?" I was just getting into the Beatles at about 11 when this one came out, so I liked it better than the original. I also never had any sort of personal connection to it. Re-listening to it right now. 

on release they put a severe anti-copy and anti-play "code" on the CDs, which worked against my enjoyment

i liked the original, Paul's treacly church songs deserved Phil Spector's orchestration  :D

the muddy and disarrayed work was in tune with other great major releases for a few years like Exile on Main St and All Things Must Pass

forget whether George's solo on the single or album for Let It Be was the better one...

edit:  the album version is much better than the single...

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

How did everybody here feel about "Let it Be: Naked?" I was just getting into the Beatles at about 11 when this one came out, so I liked it better than the original. I also never had any sort of personal connection to it. Re-listening to it right now. 

I liked the Naked version better.  That always surprised me because I was really into the "Wall of Sound" with the girl groups of the early 60's.

15 hours ago, Greybeard said:

I liked the Naked version better.  That always surprised me because I was really into the "Wall of Sound" with the girl groups of the early 60's.

I love Phil Spector, and I love The Beatles. I just think they're two different artists, and it didn't turn out well.

Also, I read online that there was a cocaine fueled jam session in the mid 70s between Lennon, McCartney, Harry Nillson, and Stevie Wonder. While that sounds awesome, I looked it up, and it was absolutely terrible. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I love Phil Spector, and I love The Beatles. I just think they're two different artists, and it didn't turn out well.

Also, I read online that there was a cocaine fueled jam session in the mid 70s between Lennon, McCartney, Harry Nillson, and Stevie Wonder. While that sounds awesome, I looked it up, and it was absolutely terrible. 

But it sounded good at the time.

25 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

The Let it Be album is supposed to sound awful, they couldn't get along and it all fell apart on them.

cleaning it up is not the intention or reality of it.

They all have some great songs, and most have the occasional crappy, almost gimmicky tune that written purely as filler. I understand McCartney got the idea for Eight Days a Week - a really really simplistic tune with even more simplistic lyrics - from a conversation with the cab driver that took him to Lennon’s house one morning, and they conceived and finished the song in 3 hours.  (The cabbie told Sir Paul he was working so hard, it felt like 8 days a week.)

The one album that is consistently great, start to finish, is Abbey Road.

JMO

:

Edited by The Senator

4 hours ago, The Senator said:

They all have some great songs, and most have the occasional crappy, almost gimmicky tune that written purely as filler. I understand McCartney got the idea for Eight Days a Week - a really really simplistic tune with even more simplistic lyrics - from a conversation with the cab driver that took him to Lennon’s house one morning, and they conceived and finished the song in 3 hours.  (The cabbie told Sir Paul he was working so hard, it felt like 8 days a week.)

The one album that is consistently great, start to finish, is Abbey Road.

JMO

:

They had minimal filler on albums for their era, compared to the Stones and the utter nonsense on Beach Boys albums

descent into the maelstrom:

1968, at the Royal Albert Hall, London.

A feature called 'Celebration In December---A Community Benefit' for which John and Yoko appeared in a white bag, this act they called 'Alchemical Wedding'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagism

On 12/12/2018 at 2:10 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I think Naked is interesting, but Let It Be is canon. That’s what I’ve been listening to for almost 50 years now, and even though it’s not my fav, I wouldn’t change a thing on it.

That being said, I am a fan of the new White Album remaster, especially on the songs that rock, not so much on the quieter songs like I Will.

• Like (+1) 1