Favorite Beatles Album

Gugny

Your Favorite Beatles Album  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which Beatles album is your favorite (not necessarily which you think is best) and why?

• Please Please Me
    • Meet the Beatles
    • Hard Day's Night
    • Beatles For Sale
    • Help!
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • White Album
    • Yellow Submarine
    • Abbey Road
    • Let it Be
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (out of order, but I somehow left it out)

On 11/10/2018 at 8:00 PM, row_33 said:

It’s scary how great it is, one of the best solo projects to me, actually probably the best on second thought 

Nah, John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band wins

Inside out and outside in. 

White Anniversity is awesome. Hard to believe how good it’s sounds. 

Edited by Helpmenow
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Haven't gotten the new White Album yet. But I've been listening to Revolver and Rubber Soul past few days. Through a decent set of headphones, but nothing special. I'm not much of an audiophile type guy, but it seems like they were literally just playing with stereo sound for the hell of it. Like putting some instruments on the left, and some on the right, with no rhyme or reason to it, other than the fact that they learned they can. Sgt Pepper seemed to really click for them.

They did what they could in the studios with the tech they had.  The average listener then had a transistor radio and maybe a single earphone. Most record players were prehistoric to us now, my first one had an eraser tied onto the arm so the needle would have enough pressure to play....

Just now, row_33 said:

They did what they could in the studios with the tech they had.  The average listener then had a transistor radio and maybe a single earphone. Most record players were prehistoric to us now, my first one had an eraser tied onto the arm so the needle would have enough pressure to play....

I was reading an article that said this is why rock and roll came to such prominence when it did. Mom and dad would have the hifi speakers and good turn table. Suitable for playing more orchestral stuff, big band, rat pack, etc. 

At the same time, teenagers were buying cheap record players. So simple music like early rock and roll, without too many highs or lows, sounded great on those things.

14 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I was reading an article that said this is why rock and roll came to such prominence when it did. Mom and dad would have the hifi speakers and good turn table. Suitable for playing more orchestral stuff, big band, rat pack, etc. 

At the same time, teenagers were buying cheap record players. So simple music like early rock and roll, without too many highs or lows, sounded great on those things.

I remember an interview from the 60's? with John Sebastian.  He said it was always a kick to hear how what they recorded came through on AM radio.  I believe he was implying it was better.   I was a fan of the Spoonful in the 60's and I remember one album I bought where the added clarity and stereo made it a less enjoyable listen.  I am guessing that in some cases the producer mixed for an AM sound.

15 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Haven't gotten the new White Album yet. But I've been listening to Revolver and Rubber Soul past few days. Through a decent set of headphones, but nothing special. I'm not much of an audiophile type guy, but it seems like they were literally just playing with stereo sound for the hell of it. Like putting some instruments on the left, and some on the right, with no rhyme or reason to it, other than the fact that they learned they can. Sgt Pepper seemed to really click for them.

For sure there were some very unusual mixes back then.   There were some songs what would start off with all the vocals in one channel with dead silence in the other, that with headphones on, kind of threw your balance off.  I can't imagine anything less natural.

• Like (+1) 1

Good points, it had to to be good music to sound that exciting coming out of a cheap transistor radio. Sneaking around to hear rock and roll also added to the enjoyment

here we are 50 years later with a genre of music and top performers that have never lost their appeal, has never happened elsewhere in the history of music.

Edited by row_33

---------------------------------

and the genius critic at Playboy Magazine chimed in on the album...

There are 29 new songs (Revolution is also included) on the Beatles' latest twin-LP effort - inexplicably titled THE BEATLES - and, as might be expected, there's a fair amount of waste: satire that undercuts itself, unmemorable melodies, etc. The material - drawn from all the far-flung territories the M.B.E.s have explored in their vinyl voyages - includes enough musical high spots (Blackbird), comic low spots (Why Don't We Do It In The Road?) and combinations of the two (Happiness Is A Warm Gun) to have filled one solid LP.

I'm sure at least 12 songs are totally unmemorable from all that waste and undercutting.....  :D

he was too busy sucking up to Sergio Mendes to give a good listen

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

There are 29 new songs (Revolution is also included) on the Beatles' latest twin-LP effort - inexplicably titled THE BEATLES - and, as might be expected, there's a fair amount of waste: satire that undercuts itself, unmemorable melodies, etc. The material - drawn from all the far-flung territories the M.B.E.s have explored in their vinyl voyages - includes enough musical high spots (Blackbird), comic low spots (Why Don't We Do It In The Road?) and combinations of the two (Happiness Is A Warm Gun) to have filled one solid LP.

I'm sure at least 12 songs are totally unmemorable from all that waste and undercutting.....  :D

You know that critic isn't all bad.  It writers like him that forced them to put the pics back in.?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

I've actually liked "Why Don't We Do It in the Road" for what it is. A stuipid, simple song of Paul just screwing around on the piano. And Happiness Is A Warm Gun is probably my favorite song on the album. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I've actually liked "Why Don't We Do It in the Road" for what it is. A stuipid, simple song of Paul just screwing around on the piano. And Happiness Is A Warm Gun is probably my favorite song on the album. 

this critic would have chosen that for his one-album only fantasy?

interesting....

Happiness is one of the best throwaway masterpieces, I can't endorse it too readily, not with a few lines in there that I don't want to think much about.....

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

this critic would have chosen that for his one-album only fantasy?

interesting....

Happiness is one of the best throwaway masterpieces, I can't endorse it too readily, not with a few lines in there that I don't want to think much about.....

I used to love it for the music. Didn't realize till about a year ago the song was a metaphor for heroin.

I used to love it for the music. Didn't realize till about a year ago the song was a metaphor for heroin.

that's part of it, perverts and stuff of that ilk is a major part as well

they've done their best to try to pretend there wasn't a heroin problem, it would explain the strangeness and the struggles Paul must have gone through to keep the band together for another 10 months, which I will have fun documenting on 50th anniversaries for the Let It Be and Abbey Road sessions... :D

• Like (+1) 1

I always thought if was referring to something else.  Especially the line "when I put my finger on your trigger."   

20 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I always thought if was referring to something else.  Especially the line "when I put my finger on your trigger."   

"a soap impression of his wife, which he ate, and donated to the National Trust"..... that's a winner

(National Trust was slang for the toilet in the UK at the time....)

Edited by row_33
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

"a soap impression of his wife, which he ate, and donated to the National Trust"..... that's a winner

(National Trust was slang for the toilet in the UK at the time....)

It is always amazing how much more sense the lyrics make when you know things like this.

9 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

It is always amazing how much more sense the lyrics make when you know things like this.

i could do without clear thought on that line....

Why did John use the American pronunciation of "party" on What's the New Mary Jane?

"the man in the crowd with the multicoloured mirrors on his hobnail boots"

used to look up the skirts of the dolly birds in public....

-----------------------

Ian MacDonald's book Revolution in the Head was a great read, going through the details of each recording in an unlettered musical appreciation.

Especially interesting to me was his comments on Ringo's unique fills as a left-handed drummer playing on a right-handed kit, something I grew up doing as well....

Paul McCartney, John Lennon and George Harrison auditioned for a British talent program called TV Star Search at the Hippodrome Theatre 59 years ago in Lancashire on Nov. 15, 1959. They had been known as The Quarrymen and were soon to be known as the Beatles, but for this audition, they took the name "Johnny and the Moondogs." They played two Buddy Holly songs: "Think It Over" and "It's So Easy." They must have been good as they were invited back for the next round of audition the next day.

But, seeing as they hadn't made their millions yet, they were forced to return to Liverpool the same night, having no money to rent a hotel room, and therefore missing out on the next round of auditions. 

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, suit and indoor

Edited by T&C
  • Like (+1) 1

and Hey Jude b/w Revolution and Those Were the Days continues the domination of the charts since September.

their pull was so huge that they didn't need Hey Jude on the White Album to take over the music industry at the time;

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

and Hey Jude b/w Revolution and Those Were the Days continues the domination of the charts since September.

their pull was so huge that they didn't need Hey Jude on the White Album to take over the music industry at the time;

Very limited supply lol

Image may contain: text