Favorite Beatles Album

Gugny

Your Favorite Beatles Album  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which Beatles album is your favorite (not necessarily which you think is best) and why?

• Please Please Me
    • Meet the Beatles
    • Hard Day's Night
    • Beatles For Sale
    • Help!
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • White Album
    • Yellow Submarine
    • Abbey Road
    • Let it Be
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (out of order, but I somehow left it out)

On 9/24/2018 at 5:08 PM, row_33 said:

They did what they could at the time, uneven recordings and mistakes abound, the squeaky bass drum pedal in All I’ve Got To Do is a good one. 

it is my understanding that Paul was the most active Fab in mixing it from mono to stereo, why he allowed the Mother Superior section to remove him and the cymbal crashes is a mystery to me. Paul didn’t seem the type to shy away from enhancing his bass presence starting with Rubber Soul.

white album diffs in mono for the speed of Don’t Pass Me By and parts of Sexy Sadie and Helter Skelter make it better for me in mono at times.../

The recent long interview with Macca in GQ is depressing, but he is what he is.

You seem to have this disdain for Paul McCartney. From all I've read, John seemed to have been the @$$hole of the group. What resources do you have that point to this?  Don't take this as an attacking question, I genuinely want to know and read it.

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

You seem to have this disdain for Paul McCartney. From all I've read, John seemed to have been the @$$hole of the group. What resources do you have that point to this?  Don't take this as an attacking question, I genuinely want to know and read it.

You can listen to the White Album in mono and stereo and hear the diffs for yourself. 

No secret Paul was the most involved of the 4 in final mixing, and no secret he thankfully pushed his bass into the foreground for albums starting with Rubber Soul, you can probably sing along to his bass work on Everybody’s Got.... My Monkey and Hey Bulldog.  I will argue he was one of the best bass players in pop history, at the very least he pioneered pushing it into the foreground, while at the same time penning several of the greatest songs of the 20th century and singing lead or background on almost all of them.

the GQ interview is flimsy and pointless, I wish he had more to him but that’s who he is and his more serious and deeper colleagues are sadly no longer with us.

I will argue for eternity that I Will is one of the more sane songs on the White Album, and that it was Paul’s song.

Edited by row_33

Paul was smart to increase his bass as he was basically drowned out by John's adenoidal powers when they sang in harmony. Must have burned to hear this effect on I Want to Hold Your Hand and She Loves You.

Norwegian Wood would be the best effort made to give both Paul and John strong presence together. Two of Us in mostly in unison when together.

John doubled tracked is the best voice in pop history, Jerry Garcia is 2nd place easily.

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Revolver was my favorite as a kid... favorite road song Live and Let Die... Saw Wings perform at RFK in 1980s July 4th concert really cool.  Love Sgt Pepper... probably my favorite Album

I read somewhere that Paul McCartney took his kids to see Guns N Roses. After the show he asked how they liked it. They liked it all except for that weird Live and Let Die song. They genuinely had no idea who's song that was.

• Haha (+1) 2

Anybody else getting the White Album 50th Anniversary deluxe box? With this, the Dylan BOTT box, and the Electric Ladyland set, I will dropping some serious coin this fall (serious for me, anyways). Can’t wait to hear the White Album in 5.1! :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Rico said:

Anybody else getting the White Album 50th Anniversary deluxe box? With this, the Dylan BOTT box, and the Electric Ladyland set, I will dropping some serious coin this fall (serious for me, anyways). Can’t wait to hear the White Album in 5.1! :thumbsup:

$70 on iTunes.... it had better be an improvement over prior non-improvement releases.....

45 minutes ago, Rico said:

37 minutes ago, row_33 said:

$70 on iTunes.... it had better be an improvement over prior non-improvement releases.....

Exactly. What excactly comes with it? I hate deluxe releases that are essentially some random clips of barely audible studio talk, a few alternate tracks that are either indistinguishable from the original, or such low quality recorded demo, both of which I could usually get in YouTube.

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Exactly. What excactly comes with it? I hate deluxe releases that are essentially some random clips of barely audible studio talk, a few alternate tracks that are either indistinguishable from the original, or such low quality recorded demo, both of which I could usually get in YouTube.

I would never buy from ITunes, I would just download the flacs for free... but I want the Blu-ray with the 5.1 surround mix, plus I will get the package anyways because it's the White Album, godd@#$it!

https://www.amazon.com/The-Beatles-Blu-ray/dp/B07HFYZY7D?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluray-011-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07HFYZY7D&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

For the first time THE BEATLES (AKA 'White Album') will be re-mixed and extended with additional demo and session recordings. Giles Martin and Sam Okell collaborated with a team of engineers and audio conservators at Abbey Road Studios in London to discuss the new stereo and 5.1. Create surround sound mixes for "The White Album". All new 'White Album' releases include Martin's new stereo album mix, directly from the original four-track and eight-track session bands. Martin's new mix is inspired by the original stereo mix of the album produced by his father George Martin.

In the last week of May in 1968, The Beatles gathered in Georges house in Esher, Surrey, where they recorded acoustic demos for 27 album songs. All these 27 recordings, known as Esher Demos, are from the original four-track tapes and are included in the 7-Disc Super Deluxe Box.

The extensive 7-Disc Collection contains:

CDs 1 & 2: 2018 Stereo Album Mix

CD3: Esher demos

CDs 4, 5 & 6: Sessions - 50 additional recordings, mostly unpublished, from the studio sessions of the 'White Album'; all remixed from the four-track and eight-track session bands, sorted by their recording start dates.

Blu-ray Audio:

- 2018 album mix in high-resolution PCM stereo

- 2018 DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Album mix

- 2018 Dolby True HD 5.1 album mix

- 2018 direct transfer of the original mono mix of the album

8 minutes ago, Rico said:

I would never buy from ITunes, I would just download the flacs for free... but I want the Blu-ray with the 5.1 surround mix, plus I will get the package anyways because it's the White Album, godd@#$it!

https://www.amazon.com/The-Beatles-Blu-ray/dp/B07HFYZY7D?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluray-011-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07HFYZY7D&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

For the first time THE BEATLES (AKA 'White Album') will be re-mixed and extended with additional demo and session recordings. Giles Martin and Sam Okell collaborated with a team of engineers and audio conservators at Abbey Road Studios in London to discuss the new stereo and 5.1. Create surround sound mixes for "The White Album". All new 'White Album' releases include Martin's new stereo album mix, directly from the original four-track and eight-track session bands. Martin's new mix is inspired by the original stereo mix of the album produced by his father George Martin.

In the last week of May in 1968, The Beatles gathered in Georges house in Esher, Surrey, where they recorded acoustic demos for 27 album songs. All these 27 recordings, known as Esher Demos, are from the original four-track tapes and are included in the 7-Disc Super Deluxe Box.

The extensive 7-Disc Collection contains:

CDs 1 & 2: 2018 Stereo Album Mix

CD3: Esher demos

CDs 4, 5 & 6: Sessions - 50 additional recordings, mostly unpublished, from the studio sessions of the 'White Album'; all remixed from the four-track and eight-track session bands, sorted by their recording start dates.

Blu-ray Audio:

- 2018 album mix in high-resolution PCM stereo

- 2018 DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Album mix

- 2018 Dolby True HD 5.1 album mix

- 2018 direct transfer of the original mono mix of the album

That might actually interest me. 

4 hours ago, Rico said:

For me, the "Blood On the Tracks" box set, as well as the Bobbie Gentry complete Capital recordings box set (86 previously unreleased tracks!) are my muses.

5 minutes ago, Buftex said:

For me, the "Blood On the Tracks" box set, as well as the Bobbie Gentry complete Capital recordings box set (86 previously unreleased tracks!) are my muses.

I can't say I'm a Bobbie Gentry fan, but I've read others talking about that box... sounds very, very impressive.

28 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I'm waiting for it to drop below $700. :lol: