Favorite Beatles Album

Gugny

Your Favorite Beatles Album  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which Beatles album is your favorite (not necessarily which you think is best) and why?

• Please Please Me
    • Meet the Beatles
    • Hard Day's Night
    • Beatles For Sale
    • Help!
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • White Album
    • Yellow Submarine
    • Abbey Road
    • Let it Be
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (out of order, but I somehow left it out)

I spent last night listening to Revolver, Rubber Soul and Abbey Road in their entireties.  I was in Heaven.  Then I texted a buddy about which of the three he liked the best.  I know there's a lot of music fans on this board, including a lot of Beatles fans.  So I thought, "what the hell," and created a poll.  I hope it generates some fun discussion about whom I believe is the greatest rock and roll band of all time.

This isn't necessarily which album you think is the "best," Beatles album.  That's a different discussion (that will last a lifetime).

But what's your favorite?  I have a difficult time deciding this.  My vote was Abbey Road.  I was always a McCartney guy (although I love all of their contributions) and this album is heavy McCartney.  But the Lennon and Harrison pieces are just as solid.  Just a great album from beginning to end.

My biggest difficulty is deciding between Revolver and Rubber Soul for my personal 2nd place.  I lean to Revolver.

Edited by Gugny

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Norwegian Wood and In My Life are two of my favorite Beatles tunes.  I could play Rubber Soul on repeat.  Maybe not the best, but my favorite.

"Girl," is another great track from that album.  Such an awesome album front to back.

White Album.

Who else could have gotten away with a double album of great throwaways?

The iconic photos, the last dregs of excellent 60s druggie noodling, then they went downhill.....

Edited by row_33

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What? No "Sgt. Peppers..."

Can it be a Sgt era “album” that includes Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane along with George’s It’s All Too Much and Only A Northern Song (well ahead of their time and criminally first heard in the YS soundtrack)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, joesixpack said:

Revolver and it’s not close

I could name the last album of 6 that I had last listened to

as we grew up with the chopped version of albums up to Sgt Pepper, have we finally forgotten the track listings since CDs gave us the UK releases?

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What? No "Sgt. Peppers..."

God Dammit!  I had it on there.  Must have inadvertently deleted it.  ****

EDIT:  I added it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Revolver and it’s not close

Surely, it must be close.

It is such a fantastic album.

Edited by Gugny

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Whooo, I am relieved it was a simple slip up!

Thought you were making a statement or something.  YOU would never do that! ;)<_<

• Haha (+1) 1

Abbey Road for me.  The Medley to end it basically summing up their time as a band, amazing.  Not to mention "Come Together", "Oh Darling", "Here Comes the Sun", and my folks wedding song.

On a side note, when I listen to the White Album, if often think to myself "Is this the most underrated album ever, or is it the most overrated album ever?"  Weird, I know, but I can see it going both ways at times and its the only album that has ever made me feel that way. 

Edited by Mark80

I'm not a Beatles lover, nor am I a hater, I just don't know all of their music.

Thankfully the topic is which is my personal favorite, so I chose the one that I heard the most often when I was growing up as a kid, which is whatever my parents played the most or which was played most often at parties we went too.

That would be Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Although I do know that my parents played Rubber Soul & Abbey Road fairly often too. I just found myself liking Sgt. Pepper's more.

20 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I'm not a Beatles lover, nor am I a hater, I just don't know all of their music.

Thankfully the topic is which is my personal favorite, so I chose the one that I heard the most often when I was growing up as a kid, which is whatever my parents played the most or which was played most often at parties we went too.

That would be Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Although I do know that my parents played Rubber Soul & Abbey Road fairly often too. I just found myself liking Sgt. Pepper's more.

I appreciate the Beatles. Very talented in all aspects of music. The problem for me is that they are all my two brothers played when young. I think I was 12 before I realized there was any other groups out there. I guess I just got overexposed/burnt out on them. 

I did hear a Ringo country tune that I hadn't heard in years I really liked though.

That said, I think I liked "Help" the best. Not sure it could be sentimental because I loved the movie as a kid.

Edited by Dante

Sgt. Peppers.  I saw a show on PSS a few months ago about the album.  It went into the  construction of the songs, The album was a technical and musical masterpiece.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I spent last night listening to Revolver, Rubber Soul and Abbey Road in their entireties.  I was in Heaven.  Then I texted a buddy about which of the three he liked the best.  I know there's a lot of music fans on this board, including a lot of Beatles fans.  So I thought, "what the hell," and created a poll.  I hope it generates some fun discussion about whom I believe is the greatest rock and roll band of all time.

This isn't necessarily which album you think is the "best," Beatles album.  That's a different discussion (that will last a lifetime).

But what's your favorite?  I have a difficult time deciding this.  My vote was Abbey Road.  I was always a McCartney guy (although I love all of their contributions) and this album is heavy McCartney.  But the Lennon and Harrison pieces are just as solid.  Just a great album from beginning to end.

My biggest difficulty is deciding between Revolver and Rubber Soul for my personal 2nd place.  I lean to Revolver.

Hard choice but overall went with "Hard Day's Night". It represents the initial musical transition between the initial "simple pop" Beatles and their later, more intricate music.

Compare the up-beat, pop "Can't Buy Me Love" with the minor key and harmonies of "Things We Said Today" - you can hear the development.

"Things We Said Today" is just an oft-forgotten classic.  Love that song.

"Rubber Soul" would be second place, though "Taxman" is just classic.

Again, not "best",  but personal favorite.

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hard choice but overall went with "Hard Day's Night". It represents the initial musical transition between the initial "simple pop" Beatles and their later, more intricate music.

Compare the up-beat, pop "Can't Buy Me Love" with the minor key and harmonies of "Things We Said Today" - you can hear the development.

"Things We Said Today" is just an oft-forgotten classic.  Love that song.

"Rubber Soul" would be second place, though "Taxman" is just classic.

Again, not "best",  but personal favorite.

This is a great assessment.  I'm a minor key fan.  So much more feeling and emotion.  My son gravitates to the minors when he plays.  Anyway, this is a great call with excellent reasoning.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

No not really. Earlier albums are too bubblegum later trying too hard to be otherwise. Revolver is peak beatles imo