Shady - OL losses matter

stuvian

9 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

No doubt that the offensive line is a concern.

There will be some games this year where it will be painful to watch.

Hopefully Daboll & McDermott can get the right combination out there and play to their strengths.

...like McDaboll's proclamation that the OL will be scheme specific to the opposition versus one scheme cast in concrete....sounds like he'll have final say over Castillo....

• Like (+1) 2

Anytime you lose two players like Eric and Ritchie you are going to step back a bit, for awhile.  The question is for how how long? 

Can Groy eventually play at Woods level? 

How is much can we get out of Miller and Vlad until we can draft a solid starter?  

Can Dawkins have another solid year at LT?  

Is there emerging talent at OT and OG already on the roster? 

Lots of questions.  Makes me think McBeane will need another off season to really bolster the OL. 

13 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

The bills didn't even step on the feild in LA that day

yep. my feeling as well on Offense at least

5 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s way too early to tell. Groy is the perfect replacement for EW. The Bills are super lucky to have him and his recent experience. Replacing Richie will be the question mark. I’m interested to see if the rookie, Wyatt Teller can be the road grader they need inside. Finally, pass protection has to look a whole lot better with a QB that’ll actually get rid of the ball!

Teller and Miller would be some powers run schemers delight.
Been a Groy fan as soon as he got live reps. Waiting for him to take over Woodmans position.
lets keep talking about RT can we ?

3 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Hard to not see the offense not taking a step back this year. There's just not a ton of talent in this line up on the O side.  The D will keep us in games, but unlike last year I think we turn the ball over a lot more. I'm prepping myself for a mediocre year, but hopefully will see our young talent start to blossom towards season's end. It's part of the process.

I disagree about the taking a step back.
Coaching has made the difference last 3 seasons, whether positive or negative.
Expect Coaching will be the difference again this season. My worry is Castillo. But heck he is still here under Brian so

Go Bills

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Has-been’s, Unknowns & Wannabe’s. All of them.

Its bad enough they’ll kill Shady. Sacrifice McCarron. Don’t let Allen get behind these guys.

Doom.

I applaud your attitude

Here Here !

lol

51 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Why don't people just watch the whole interview?

say what ?

35 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Anytime you lose two players like Eric and Ritchie you are going to step back a bit, for awhile.  The question is for how how long? 

Can Groy eventually play at Woods level? 

How is much can we get out of Miller and Vlad until we can draft a solid starter?  

Can Dawkins have another solid year at LT?  

Is there emerging talent at OT and OG already on the roster? 

Lots of questions.  Makes me think McBeane will need another off season to really bolster the OL. 

the Process.  Appears you see it as I do.

McB really wanted to nail down that Defense this year and last.
looking at the work they have done so far ? I feel excited for when they turn their eye to Offense !
The Process.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

say what ?

https://www.cover1.net/lesean-mccoy-buffalo-bills-josh-allen/ (an example of one of the multitude of articles on the same PC)

Idk, there is a video somewhere. Probably on the Bills official site. It gets old seeing the same press conference being used as material for so many posts, links and "stories." Seriously, it gets comical.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/LeSean-McCoy-Look-Forward-to-Having-a-Big-Year/b04e6531-07ce-41cc-904a-4725d4d2ae70 (link to the Press Conference so many of these posts/articles are based on)

Edited by Paulus

We have all seen this before with new GM, HC in thinking that an average or below average joe can replace pro bowlers...and they can't!

The Bills attempted to replace pro bowl pro bowl LT Jason Peters with a 7th rounder and that was a failed position with numerous players not making the cut for a few years until the club drafted Cordy Glenn. Back then the Bills had an O line coach legend in Jim McNally who took a walk on TE and converted him into that pro bowl left tackle. Sadly McNally retired in 2007 and Jauron promoted within the Org. 

Dick Jauron watched in horror as Jets NT Kriss Jenkins ate three Bills at the line and still got to the QB/RB play after play and the very next draft they drafted OC Eric Wood and OG Andy Levitre.

In 2010 Buddy Nix announced to the NFL world, "you're going to think I'm crazy but we're not that far away". In the offseason, Nix brought in OT Cornell Green at 2 mill per to help solidify the line and he lasted exactly five games before being cut. Luckily, Nix was able to find Kraig Urbik and Erik Pears off the waiver wire to help save part of the second half of the season. 

It didn't help the first half as the 2010 Buffalo Bills went 0-8 with the QB's literally running for their lives and finished that year 4-10. 

2018 could very well be another 2010 4-10 type season with a very bad offensive line. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Ya probably my biggest worry this year, I'm optimistic about the upside of any of our QBs but none of that matters if the pocket collapses instantly.

I thought the O Line actually got better with Groy at center a couple of years ago.

57 minutes ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

That was a mail in game by Mills at tackle because he wanted Tyrod playing. It is more than obvious that he wanted to lose that day, and make Peterman look bad. 

I agree and I'll take it a step further ... it was the entire O Line.

No doubt the OL will be a major focus in next years offseason. Far to many holes to be able to address everything, Had we not of been able to trade up for Josh Allen Im fairly certain our second round picks would have landed an offensive lineman.  

4 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

We have all seen this before with new GM, HC in thinking that an average or below average joe can replace pro bowlers...and they can't!

The Bills attempted to replace pro bowl pro bowl LT Jason Peters with a 7th rounder and that was a failed position with numerous players not making the cut for a few years until the club drafted Cordy Glenn. Back then the Bills had an O line coach legend in Jim McNally who took a walk on TE and converted him into that pro bowl left tackle. Sadly McNally retired in 2007 and Jauron promoted within the Org. 

Dick Jauron watched in horror as Jets NT Kriss Jenkins ate three Bills at the line and still got to the QB/RB play after play and the very next draft they drafted OC Eric Wood and OG Andy Levitre.

In 2010 Buddy Nix announced to the NFL world, "you're going to think I'm crazy but we're not that far away". In the offseason, Nix brought in OT Cornell Green at 2 mill per to help solidify the line and he lasted exactly five games before being cut. Luckily, Nix was able to find Kraig Urbik and Erik Pears off the waiver wire to help save part of the second half of the season. 

It didn't help the first half as the 2010 Buffalo Bills went 0-8 with the QB's literally running for their lives and finished that year 4-10. 

2018 could very well be another 2010 4-10 type season with a very bad offensive line. 

You could will end up being right every year has its own scenario though for instants Glenn was not even available to us the majority of last year Dawkins Man that spot and we didn’t miss a beat we also had players in woods and cog That we’re getting older so who is to say that their play would not have declined

11 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

I know RI made his third strait pro bowl in Buffalo last year. But I thought he fell off a little. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe he lead the team in penalties. At 35 this was going to be his last year probably. Sad how his tenure in Buffalo ended. I look at both Wood And Incognito both as retirement by injury. One physical and one mental. Tough losses but just have to deal with it and move on. Groy showed us he is a capable replacement for Wood. Bodine has started 4 years for Cincinnati. One will emerge. Ducasse’s PFF numbers we’re solid in a zone blocking scheme. Can he be as effective in the new system? To me he was average at best last year. Miller will rebound and flourish in the new system coming off a disappointing year. I’m in the minority but I feel we will be fine on the OL.

i'm right with you. eric was bound to have age and health issues surface and richie was on his last year anyway. we have to get younger and established at some time and i think it' will be a blessing in disguise that we have to go through it this year rather than next. if daboll can run a quick timing offense, that will make things much easier than having to pass pro for 6 seconds. how many times have we yelled ....throw the fing ball!!!!...every week. well this year by the time that thought occurs the ball will be gone. it will be refreshing to look like an actual nfl offense for once.

9 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I disagree about the taking a step back.
Coaching has made the difference last 3 seasons, whether positive or negative.
Expect Coaching will be the difference again this season. My worry is Castillo. But heck he is still here under Brian so

Go Bills

Coaches don't block. You still need talent. Save for Shady, nobody on our offense rises above midling. I'm just being realistic.

• Like (+1) 1