Shady - OL losses matter

stuvian

13 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Coaches don't block. You still need talent. Save for Shady, nobody on our offense rises above midling. I'm just being realistic.

You of course are correct about talent.

Coaching does best when making efficient use of the talent available. This might become Daboll trait (  wishful , I know ! )
Newhouse and Bodine are not terrible pick ups, if they fit the scheme.
Teller looks like a steal for this team imo.

I think Coaching is more important than talent when running an O line and blocking schemes vs matchups.
What talent Bills have right now is concerning. But not freak out worthy yet.
Keeping Ducasse and Mills was freak out worthy a year ago. getting rid of Kromer pushed my buttons as well.
 I remain hopeful 

#CoachingMatters

: )

17 hours ago, THE SLAMMER said:

Holey offensive line batman

This looks like the Joker's work here Robin.

14 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

i'm right with you. eric was bound to have age and health issues surface and richie was on his last year anyway. we have to get younger and established at some time and i think it' will be a blessing in disguise that we have to go through it this year rather than next. if daboll can run a quick timing offense, that will make things much easier than having to pass pro for 6 seconds. how many times have we yelled ....throw the fing ball!!!!...every week. well this year by the time that thought occurs the ball will be gone. it will be refreshing to look like an actual nfl offense for once.

If Bills staff was not already looking hard at Eric and Richie needing replacing and soon, shame on them.

I am on board with the bolded. Guess i kinda have to be !

Edited by 3rdand12

...think maybe McBeane/McD/McDaboll earned at least 2 oz. of credibility as far as knowing what the hell they're doing.....they used #7 in the 1st along with draft capital to select who they hope is the franchise QB.....spent $10 mil (2 yr deal) on McCarron to be somewhere in the mix (starter, backup. etc.)....paying Shady $6.075 mil base....have some RB youngsters returning from injury who did show some promise as well as signing Ivory.....would be pretty naive and asinine to think that the Mc Trio does NOT have the OL HIGH ON THE RADAR.......why the hell would you waste all of the aforementioned to employ WikiLeaks and subject the gang to injury?.....it's about damn time we had a viable, threatening passing game, ESPECIALLY DOWNFIELD, known as "uncharted waters" recently and you won't get there if the OL is an afterthought......

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/16/2018 at 8:29 AM, SoCal Deek said:

It’s way too early to tell. Groy is the perfect replacement for EW. The Bills are super lucky to have him and his recent experience. Replacing Richie will be the question mark. I’m interested to see if the rookie, Wyatt Teller can be the road grader they need inside. Finally, pass protection has to look a whole lot better with a QB that’ll actually get rid of the ball!

I agree.  Groy is going to do just what he did two years ago when Wood went down for half the season--come in and play just as well, maybe better.

Cordy wasn't a factor this past year either, and Dawk will now be a sophomore which means he's going to be even better.

So we lost Richie and need to replace our LG.  He wasn't an elite guard, just a good one--i think Wyatt might win that in camp and do just fine in there.

Actually more concerned with RT than anything else this season.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:40 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...like McDaboll's proclamation that the OL will be scheme specific to the opposition versus one scheme cast in concrete....sounds like he'll have final say over Castillo....

OK, Daboll is putting more expectations on Castillo, but he's not leaving him out to dry by any means. I think it's a  good thing, as long as the scheme for the upcoming opposition doesn't stray too far, week to week. Is it asking too much of the offensive linemen to focus on a different plan each week? I would hope not. I think anything is better than Dennison's unimaginative schemes and play calling. 

1 hour ago, buffaloaggie said:

OK, Daboll is putting more expectations on Castillo, but he's not leaving him out to dry by any means. I think it's a  good thing, as long as the scheme for the upcoming opposition doesn't stray too far, week to week. Is it asking too much of the offensive linemen to focus on a different plan each week? I would hope not. I think anything is better than Dennison's unimaginative schemes and play calling. 

...certainly agree......week to week radical changes will preclude any consistently.....as Cowher said, "THE most important UNIT on the football field is the OL.....if it breaks down, all else fails".....these guys cannot become a cohesive unit if they also have to deal with significant scheme changes weekly....Dennison unimaginative?......LMAO...talk about a politically correct, GENTLE assessment.....nice job bud....:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...certainly agree......week to week radical changes will preclude any consistently.....as Cowher said, "THE most important UNIT on the football field is the OL.....if it breaks down, all else fails".....these guys cannot become a cohesive unit if they also have to deal with significant scheme changes weekly....Dennison unimaginative?......LMAO...talk about a politically correct, GENTLE assessment.....nice job bud....:thumbsup:

You should be able to put any RB in, and not lose much effectiveness, agree that the OL is the most important area. Yeah, I don't think there's much of a Dennison fan club here. It's been aggravating watching the Bills draft, passing on so many OL, ever since they got burned by big Mike Williams busting in 2002. They've taken a total of 5 OL in the first two rounds of the draft since then. I'd be willing to say that's the least of any team in that time period. Besides our inept ability to find a QB, you wonder why we were 0 for making the playoffs in the 2000's until last year? Bills were spoiled by finding Peters as a UDFA, and it made them think we could always find a gem in the late rounds.

Edited by buffaloaggie
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/15/2018 at 8:58 PM, Gugny said:

Ask Nate Peterman about the pocket collapsing vs. San Diego.

With the announcement of Nate playing over TT,  the oline mailed in that game. Tape doesn't lie. It was disgraceful. They won't have that luxury if they want to keep AJ or Allen alive.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

With the announcement of Nate playing over TT,  the oline mailed in that game. Tape doesn't lie. It was disgraceful. They won't have that luxury if they want to keep AJ or Allen alive.

No different than what Taylor faced on TNF.  You should look at the replay of the NYJ game where the OL play was simply horrendous.  Just a bunch of excuses for Peterman who simply was not ready for the job in any way. 

2 hours ago, buffaloaggie said:

You should be able to put any RB in, and not lose much effectiveness, agree that the OL is the most important area. Yeah, I don't think there's much of a Dennison fan club here. It's been aggravating watching the Bills draft, passing on so many OL, ever since they got burned by big Mike Williams busting in 2002. They've taken a total of 5 OL in the first two rounds of the draft since then. I'd be willing to say that's the least of any team in that time period. Besides our inept ability to find a QB, you wonder why we were 0 for making the playoffs in the 2000's until last year? Bills were spoiled by finding Peters as a UDFA, and it made them think we could always find a gem in the late rounds.

...pretty darn good & accurate assessment......painful reliving those years of the past......THE most mind boggling thing for 20+ years is OBD woeful ineptitude in disregarding the importance of the QB position, easily #1 and TE at #2....could not better describe "garbage in....garbage out"......hell, I woulda brought in Daryl "Mad Bomber" Lamonica for a tryout....he's only 73 and probably would have been better than some of the "Waste Management Ready For Pickup" candidates in the QB mess...SMH...

On 6/16/2018 at 12:13 PM, Nihilarian said:

We have all seen this before with new GM, HC in thinking that an average or below average joe can replace pro bowlers...and they can't!

The Bills attempted to replace pro bowl pro bowl LT Jason Peters with a 7th rounder and that was a failed position with numerous players not making the cut for a few years until the club drafted Cordy Glenn. Back then the Bills had an O line coach legend in Jim McNally who took a walk on TE and converted him into that pro bowl left tackle. Sadly McNally retired in 2007 and Jauron promoted within the Org. 

Dick Jauron watched in horror as Jets NT Kriss Jenkins ate three Bills at the line and still got to the QB/RB play after play and the very next draft they drafted OC Eric Wood and OG Andy Levitre.

In 2010 Buddy Nix announced to the NFL world, "you're going to think I'm crazy but we're not that far away". In the offseason, Nix brought in OT Cornell Green at 2 mill per to help solidify the line and he lasted exactly five games before being cut. Luckily, Nix was able to find Kraig Urbik and Erik Pears off the waiver wire to help save part of the second half of the season. 

It didn't help the first half as the 2010 Buffalo Bills went 0-8 with the QB's literally running for their lives and finished that year 4-10. 

2018 could very well be another 2010 4-10 type season with a very bad offensive line. 

This is certainly a real possibility. I would point out that Dawkins was Glenn's insurance as Groy with Wood. I'm not confident about our depth though I would think that if our line remains healthy (4 out of 5 did last year) it won't be a 2007/2010 type season. It probably won't be the last couple years where at least 3/5 spots have been solid or better either.

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:52 PM, buffaloaggie said:

It doesn't take genius thinking to see what helped win two AFL championships for the 60's Buffalo Bills as they had all pros, pro bowlers all over the roster back then. Look back at each time the Bills made the playoffs from the 60's to the nineties and even last year those teams all had above average offensive line players.

We already know that the 2017 Buffalo Bills had LT Dawkins, LG Incognito, and Center Eric Wood.

The 1988-1996 Bills had stalwarts LT Will Wolford, LG Jim Ritcher, OC Kent Hull, Tim Vogler, Joe Devlin-Plus later on Howard Ballard, John Davis, John Fina, Glenn Parker, Ruben Brown. What's crazy was Ritcher was a first-round pick of Chuck Knox's in 1980 when the team already had a really good line and he played from 1980 to 1995. 

The 1980-1981 Bills had Joe Devlin, Conrad Dobler, Will Grant, Reggie McKenzie, Ken Jones which was a pretty good lineup from blocking for OJ. 

If the current Buffalo Bills ever want to contend for a super bowl they need to contend with teams like the Jacksonville Jaguars and their great defense, they need to upgrade the talent on that line. Go back and watch that playoff game to see why Buffalo lost scoring only 3 pts, 148 yards passing with 2 ints...A different QB is going to change that outcome if he doesn't have time to throw.  

Look who Buffalo plays in 2018 for the first eight games, @ Baltimore Ravens (top 10 defense)-Chargers (top 10 defense with DE who states he wasn't even blocked against the Bills in 2017) @ Minnesota Vikings (#1 overall defense in 2017) @ Green Bay with new DC Mike Pettine, Tennessee, @ Houston, @ Indy, New England.  0-8 is a real possibility in my view. 

On 6/20/2018 at 5:29 PM, Nihilarian said:

It doesn't take genius thinking to see what helped win two AFL championships for the 60's Buffalo Bills as they had all pros, pro bowlers all over the roster back then. Look back at each time the Bills made the playoffs from the 60's to the nineties and even last year those teams all had above average offensive line players.

We already know that the 2017 Buffalo Bills had LT Dawkins, LG Incognito, and Center Eric Wood.

The 1988-1996 Bills had stalwarts LT Will Wolford, LG Jim Ritcher, OC Kent Hull, Tim Vogler, Joe Devlin-Plus later on Howard Ballard, John Davis, John Fina, Glenn Parker, Ruben Brown. What's crazy was Ritcher was a first-round pick of Chuck Knox's in 1980 when the team already had a really good line and he played from 1980 to 1995. 

The 1980-1981 Bills had Joe Devlin, Conrad Dobler, Will Grant, Reggie McKenzie, Ken Jones which was a pretty good lineup from blocking for OJ. 

If the current Buffalo Bills ever want to contend for a super bowl they need to contend with teams like the Jacksonville Jaguars and their great defense, they need to upgrade the talent on that line. Go back and watch that playoff game to see why Buffalo lost scoring only 3 pts, 148 yards passing with 2 ints...A different QB is going to change that outcome if he doesn't have time to throw.  

Look who Buffalo plays in 2018 for the first eight games, @ Baltimore Ravens (top 10 defense)-Chargers (top 10 defense with DE who states he wasn't even blocked against the Bills in 2017) @ Minnesota Vikings (#1 overall defense in 2017) @ Green Bay with new DC Mike Pettine, Tennessee, @ Houston, @ Indy, New England.  0-8 is a real possibility in my view. 

Unfortunately, we'll likely need to keep extra blockers in to pass protect, leaving our QB with fewer options, let alone, those fewer options will need to run effective routes to get open. 0-8? A little too pessimistic. I'd say 3-5 though, but that's bordering on too optimistic. Our D will be a top 10 unit. Lots of low scoring games. Lots of stacking D's against our run. Bet the Under often.