Shady - OL losses matter

stuvian

A sampling of Shady quotes:

“Losing Richie and Eric, I’d be lying if I told you it didn’t matter.”

“Some people might say that to kind of nip it in the bud and get it out of the way, but those guys are great players. Eric is very smart, intelligent, plays hard, he’s a veteran. He’s been in different scenarios and situations, so having that leadership is big. And we don’t have that because he’s gone."

“People can say what they want about Richie, but he’s one of the best blockers I’ve played with. He’s aggressive, which we all know, and he’s tough, so I’ll miss him, also. A lot of my best runs were behind him."

2 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Ya probably my biggest worry this year, I'm optimistic about the upside of any of our QBs but none of that matters if the pocket collapses instantly.

Ask Nate Peterman about the pocket collapsing vs. San Diego.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Peter said:

A sampling of Shady quotes:

“Losing Richie and Eric, I’d be lying if I told you it didn’t matter.”

“Some people might say that to kind of nip it in the bud and get it out of the way, but those guys are great players. Eric is very smart, intelligent, plays hard, he’s a veteran. He’s been in different scenarios and situations, so having that leadership is big. And we don’t have that because he’s gone."

“People can say what they want about Richie, but he’s one of the best blockers I’ve played with. He’s aggressive, which we all know, and he’s tough, so I’ll miss him, also. A lot of my best runs were behind him."

All truths.

No doubt that the offensive line is a concern.

There will be some games this year where it will be painful to watch.

Hopefully Daboll & McDermott can get the right combination out there and play to their strengths.

Finally, someone the board respects confirms what everyone should already know.

For some reason, there are still people arguing the line is fine and will play at the same level, despite losing 2-3 key players. Look at our 2016 line's production compared to 2017 and how much it regressed. Now imagine this year's production, combined with another year older Shady, 1 good WR, & the least experienced QB group in the league. Growing pains are to be expected. This is not a 10 win team.

To not be concerned about the Wood and RI losses is crazy, but Dawkins and Groy played adequately last year.  Glenn was persistently hurt so that is not a big loss.  We'll find out this year.  I'm tabling judgement until I see them play in real games this year, an d Miller is a question mark with not really playing last year.

It’s way too early to tell. Groy is the perfect replacement for EW. The Bills are super lucky to have him and his recent experience. Replacing Richie will be the question mark. I’m interested to see if the rookie, Wyatt Teller can be the road grader they need inside. Finally, pass protection has to look a whole lot better with a QB that’ll actually get rid of the ball!

Hard to not see the offense not taking a step back this year. There's just not a ton of talent in this line up on the O side.  The D will keep us in games, but unlike last year I think we turn the ball over a lot more. I'm prepping myself for a mediocre year, but hopefully will see our young talent start to blossom towards season's end. It's part of the process.

I know RI made his third strait pro bowl in Buffalo last year. But I thought he fell off a little. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe he lead the team in penalties. At 35 this was going to be his last year probably. Sad how his tenure in Buffalo ended. I look at both Wood And Incognito both as retirement by injury. One physical and one mental. Tough losses but just have to deal with it and move on. Groy showed us he is a capable replacement for Wood. Bodine has started 4 years for Cincinnati. One will emerge. Ducasse’s PFF numbers we’re solid in a zone blocking scheme. Can he be as effective in the new system? To me he was average at best last year. Miller will rebound and flourish in the new system coming off a disappointing year. I’m in the minority but I feel we will be fine on the OL.

• Like (+1) 2

I hope they gel quick and get the scheme down. I think by the second half of the season, we will see the future clearly for the OL and QB.  If we get out of the first half at 3-5 or 4-4, we can make a run.  2-6 will be too hard to overcome.  Something tells me 1 or 2 WR will step up and our TE's will help a lot.  If Daboll can play call to keep the D's off balance, then this unit will blossom in 2019, and be serviceable in 2018.

If we have one FA signing left this year, please let it be OL.  Has anyone signed Joeckel yet?  If not, I heard he turned into a decent guard who could also play tackle.  Bring him in for a look see