PFF draft grades

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-all-32-nfl-teams-2018-nfl-draft-grades

IMG_01052018_181623_0.png

1 (7) Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming, 73.6
1 (16) Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech, 87.1
3 (96) Harrison Phillips, DI, Stanford, 90.3
4 (121) Taron Johnson, CB, Weber State, n/a
5 (154) Siran Neal, S, Jacksonville State, n/a
5 (166) Wyatt Teller, G, Virginia Tech, 86.7
6 (187) Ray-Ray McCloud, WR, Clemson, 68.5
7 (255) Austin Proehl, WR, UNC, 80.3 

Day 1: The rumors were heavy that the Bills would move up to take Josh Allen, and they did just that. Allen has a cannon for an arm, combined with the size and athleticism to make spectacular plays outside the pocket, but he comes with big question marks in key areas, namely his accuracy and decision-making. He’s ranked among the nation’s worst in negatively-graded throws over the last two years and he finished 29th out of 38 quarterbacks in the draft class at avoiding turnover-worthy throws last season. The big-time throws are a part of his game as Allen had the highest percentage in the nation in 2016, while ranking seventh in the draft class last year, and the Bills must let him use his arm and playmaking ability down the field while trying to mitigate the accuracy issues and play recognition that has held his game back despite his electric skillset.

Buffalo then made a move to grab Tremaine Edmunds, adding a much-needed athletic presence for the middle of their zone-heavy defense. Edmunds is not as polished as some of the other top linebackers in this class as he’ll often take the wrong gap in the run game, but his movement skills make him a weapon in coverage, whether covering ground in zone or matching up against opposing tight ends. He ranked ninth in the draft class with a run-stop percentage of 12.5 while posting a solid coverage grade of 81.0.

Day 2: The Bills didn’t have a second-round pick, and they add help for their run defense with Harrison Phillips in the third. He is one of the best interior run defenders in the class, leading the way with a run-stop percentage of 13.3 last season to go with a 90.2 grade against the run. However, Phillips has not shown much as a pass-rusher, grading at 82.9 last season and finishing 53rd in the draft class with a pass-rush productivity of only 6.4.

Day 3: Wyatt Teller could be a steal in the fifth round after posting four years of grading in between 86.0 and 89.3. He is a powerful run-blocker and he finished ninth in the draft class with a run-block success percentage of 92.2.

Overall grade: Average

Edited by Superhero

Sugar Bowl, Clemson CB Ryan Carter

Cornerback Ryan Carter allowed just a 52.6 passer rating as the primary coverage defender, allowing just 25 catches on 53 targeted passes. He brought down three interceptions and recorded another six pass breakups this season as for the second consecutive season has seen a passer rating of lower than 53.0 into his coverage. – @PFF_Cam

Sugar Bowl, Alabama CB Levi Wallace

Perhaps 2017’s biggest breakout story from a defense back position was the play of Levi Wallace, a former walk-on who dominated in coverage this season. Wallace was targeted 55 times as opposing offenses steered away from Fitzpatrick, but allowed just 22 receptions and fielded the nation’s 14th-lowest passer rating when targeted at just 37.5 (a figure that is good enough for eighth-best among draft-eligible cornerbacks). – @PFF_Cam

• Like (+1) 1

I hate all these stupid draft ratings! 

Unless, of course, they say nice and encouraging things about the Bills.  Then I find them enlightening and spiritually uplifting. ? 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, White Linen said:

I can't wait until Josh Allen shuts his critics up.  

You're going to have to...he's had these issues at every stage of his career.

Not being able to read a HS or college defense isn't really something you just grow out of at the NFL level.

37 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Not being able to read a HS or college defense isn't really something you just grow out of at the NFL level.

I disagree with that. I think we've all seen and heard from various sources that Allen can read a defense just fine. His issues with inaccuracies comes from poor mechanics and trusting his arm too much. 

To say that he couldn't read a high school defense, or a college defense is just wrong.

Cover 1 does a good job highlighting this in different videos if you'd care to get a different take. I'm not saying he's Brady or Rodgers, but its just wrong to say he "can't" read a defense at all

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

It's also something that prevents NFL teams from drafting you. What a goofy statement!

11 hours ago, White Linen said:

Not as much as McBeane does. Their jobs in Legacy all rest on that kid.

26 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

It's also something that prevents NFL teams from drafting you. What a goofy statement!

Not so goofy, pro franchises gamble on raw talent all the time. The odds are against you but it doesn't stop them from doing it.

5 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Not so goofy, pro franchises gamble on raw talent all the time. The odds are against you but it doesn't stop them from doing it.

If Allen looks like a bust at the end of the season, McBeane/Pegs will not hesitate to dump him and try again in 2019.  Unlike Nix/Whaley/Russ who doubled down on their mistake.  No one will be fired and the franchise will survive.

5 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

The entire draft is a gamble so of course they do.  The odds are against anyone and every drafted QB.  Allen is no exception and also shouldn't be singled out as a particular risk.  

17 hours ago, White Linen said:

I just pray Josh Allen shuts his critics up.

I’ll be patient if need be, as long as he pans out. PLEASE!!! 

I was a doubter originally but I’m ALL aboard now  (for lack of better options). I’m rarely a “hater”. Rex was a special case. 

13 hours ago, ClemsonBills said:

Yes there is, it’s when you drafted a franchise QB in the same draft

No that is YOUR interpretatioAnd you are entitled to it but I guarantee you that if Alan flops in Edmonds turns into a generational linebacker this will not be considered a bad draft

Edited by John from Riverside

6 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

If Allen looks like a bust at the end of the season, McBeane/Pegs will not hesitate to dump him and try again in 2019.  Unlike Nix/Whaley/Russ who doubled down on their mistake.  No one will be fired and the franchise will survive.

I don't think it'll be that easy. If our Josh stinks and the other Josh excels I don't think they survive. Conversely, they'll be heroes if it works. This was the year to pick a quarterback, the talent drops off next year.

6 hours ago, White Linen said:

The entire draft is a gamble so of course they do.  The odds are against anyone and every drafted QB.  Allen is no exception and also shouldn't be singled out as a particular risk.  

That's just not reality. The rap on Allen was accuracy and process time. And it came from almost all draft evaluators.  Allen is boom or bust. If it's the later, Mcbeane can't say they weren't inform of it. Especially if Rosen excels and Allen doesn't. 

2 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I don't think it'll be that easy. If our Josh stinks and the other Josh excels I don't think they survive. Conversely, they'll be heroes if it works. This was the year to pick a quarterback, the talent drops off next year.

I suspect they may get a chance to pick another guy. After all, even a first round QB pick is 50/50. If they do everything else right but lose a coin toss, we may flip the coin again.....but it won’t be after next season. You have to let that play out a bit to know what you have. 

If the “other” Josh does well for a season or two (or even three), then leaves the games with concussions, they may appear to be brilliant!

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

I suspect they may get a chance to pick another guy. After all, even a first round QB pick is 50/50. If they do everything else right but lose a coin toss, we may flip the coin again.....but it won’t be after next season. You have to let that play out a bit to know what you have. 

If the “other” Josh does well for a season or two (or even three), then leaves the games with concussions, they may appear to be brilliant!

I don't disagree, but by Beane's own words the job of a GM is to pick a quarterback. You screw it up at a quarterback year you're going to pay thrme price. And it won't be after this year, these things usually take 3 years to shake out and then you know. So I don't think you pick another quarterback next year no way.

2 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I don't disagree, but by Beane's own words the job of a GM is to pick a quarterback. You screw it up at a quarterback year you're going to pay thrme price. And it won't be after this year, these things usually take 3 years to shake out and then you know. So I don't think you pick another quarterback next year no way.

Yeah, if they do (almost) everything else right, but get the QB wrong....I bet they get another shot at a QB. But that’s NOT after one or two years.