Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Somewhere, somebody's dad gave a high five to this comment.

Cant help but notice you aren't participating in any of the Josh is starting game 3 threads.  I was worried you pulled a David Cardine on us...

But here you are, alive and kicking -----------------------> a dead horse.  Good for you lil buddy

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Putin said:

The way he had that offense  clicking against Cleveland was pure magic 

Do you think our "offensive line" had anything to do with this? Bernie Kosar, a guy that knows a little about QBing, said several times that with the blocking AJ was getting he had no chance. Or the plAy where 2 offensive lineman didn't know who to block so they blocked no one. It was bad.

Benjamin dropping the first pass didn't help either.

i think he makes the team.

Edited by reddogblitz

I mean Josh Allen is starting next game for a reason. This prediction is in serious jeapordy now.  I like Peterman but Josh Allen progressing with flying colors is the best case scenario. 

I don't think Peterman is the train wreck some people make him out to be but I acknowledge the flaws in his game. It's not looking good for Nate but I wouldn't call the race finished.

If Josh Allen were to have a bunch of 3 and outs in his staring debut perspective would change. I hope Josh Allen absolutely lights it up next game but that reality hasn't come yet. 

12 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I mean Josh Allen is starting next game for a reason. This prediction is in serious jeapordy now.  I like Peterman but Josh Allen progressing with flying colors is the best case scenario. 

I don't think Peterman is the train wreck some people make him out to be but I acknowledge the flaws in his game. It's not looking good for Nate but I wouldn't call the race finished.

If Josh Allen were to have a bunch of 3 and outs in his staring debut perspective would change. I hope Josh Allen absolutely lights it up next game but that reality hasn't come yet. 

I have to say that to some degree, Late Nate has won me over. To a degree. Which is to say that I no longer hold a deep grudge for having paid so much $$$ for great seats at Stubhub Center vs the Chargers. 

He’s not great, and his flaws are overt. But, so are his strengths. Nor do I believe his flaws are completely insurmountable. Most of them, anyway. 

But, the bottom line is this: Allen excelling, and exceeding expectations, as he seems to be doing, is the best case scenario. And, we could do worse than Nate as his backup. (Hell, we HAVE done worse.) Especially if he continues to work on his flaws, which by all indications, he will. 

There. I said it. I am no longer a Nate Hater. (I just hope he doesn’t start week one.)

25 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I have to say that to some degree, Late Nate has won me over. To a degree. Which is to say that I no longer hold a deep grudge for having paid so much $$$ for great seats at Stubhub Center vs the Chargers. 

He’s not great, and his flaws are overt. But, so are his strengths. Nor do I believe his flaws are completely insurmountable. Most of them, anyway. 

But, the bottom line is this: Allen excelling, and exceeding expectations, as he seems to be doing, is the best case scenario. And, we could do worse than Nate as his backup. (Hell, we HAVE done worse.) Especially if he continues to work on his flaws, which by all indications, he will. 

There. I said it. I am no longer a Nate Hater. (I just hope he doesn’t start week one.)

Josh Allen leaves me with a feeling that Beane might have picked the winning lottery ticket. I wasn't expecting the stars to align honestly but it's starting to look like it.

It feels good to have a HC and GM I can believe in. If Josh Allen is franchise QB we will finally have the trifecta.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Cant help but notice you aren't participating in any of the Josh is starting game 3 threads.  I was worried you pulled a David Cardine on us...

But here you are, alive and kicking -----------------------> a dead horse.  Good for you lil buddy

I really don't really care about Josh Allen, or any of the trite comments on here about how he's the next coming. He'll have another opportunity on Sunday, and we'll see how he does. 

I've yet to see an interesting post about him.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

McCarron has been skirting the line of awful. I'd rather have Shane Matthews back.

tenor.gif?itemid=4494681

19 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I really don't really care about Josh Allen, or any of the trite comments on here about how he's the next coming. He'll have another opportunity on Sunday, and we'll see how he does. 

I've yet to see an interesting post about him.

You don't care about Josh Allen... the Franchise QB your favorite team?

Then you must have been a fan of Peterman at Pitt in college and just naturally rolled your fandom to the Bills in the NFL.

I'm going to assume this is the case and at least go from zero respect for you to some respect.

So, you stick with your guy even if he's the backup :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4494681

You don't care about Josh Allen... the Franchise QB your favorite team?

Then you must have been a fan of Peterman at Pitt in college and just naturally rolled your fandom to the Bills in the NFL.

I'm going to assume this is the case and at least go from zero respect for you to some respect.

So, you stick with your guy even if he's the backup :thumbsup:

So a kid that's played 2 preseason games is now a "franchise QB". You're incorrigible. I'll be interested when he shows me something to be interested in, but just like EJ Manuel, I'm not counting on it. I'm not even that big of a Nate Peterman fan. I just see one guy doing everything that could possibly be expected of him, and a deeply flawed shiny toy who seems to be the same player he was in college, so far. I have no interest in cheering for 60 yard out of bounds passes, or talking about whatever "ceiling" means. If he shows consistent growth, I'll support him.

It's still a long way off from week 1. 

23 minutes ago, Jeetz1231 said:

This thread is hilarious. I can't wrap my head around people not being happy that our rookie QB is progressing fast enough to be considered starting week 1. 

99% of this thread existed before that news came out a couple hours ago. My issue is that McDermott has always talked about accountability, earning your spot, and "The Process". If he ends up starting a kid week 1 that has underperfomed his competition, then what he's essentially saying as that as long as they have an investment in you, those things matter less, or not at all.

If I was in NP's shoes I'd be asking what else, precisely, I'd need to do to meet that standard. I'd be extremely curious what other young guys without draft status pedigrees on the team/around the league felt about it too. It just seems like the whole concept of a competition was a farce at this point and it was all a ploy to make him feel like he earned it. It's not like we're watching Wilson or Prescott's rookie season here.

Edited by BullBuchanan

12 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

If I was in NP's shoes I'd be asking what else, precisely, I'd need to do to meet that standard. I'd be extremely curious what other young guys without draft status pedigrees on the team/around the league felt about it too. It just seems like the whole concept of a competition was a farce at this point and it was all a ploy to make him feel like he earned it. It's not like we're watching Wilson or Prescott's rookie season here.

I think you are lying to yourself if you can't admit that JA and NP are neck and neck in the competition. I feel like he is showing just as much promise as Dak and Russel did in the pre season. And I think Mcd/Beane have shown starting last year that draft status has nothing to do with playing time (IE Watkins/Darby being traded).

2 minutes ago, Jeetz1231 said:

I think you are lying to yourself if you can't admit that JA and NP are neck and neck in the competition. I feel like he is showing just as much promise as Dak and Russel did in the pre season. And I think Mcd/Beane have shown starting last year that draft status has nothing to do with playing time (IE Watkins/Darby being traded).

Not their picks/not in their club.

27 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

So a kid that's played 2 preseason games is now a "franchise QB". You're incorrigible. I'll be interested when he shows me something to be interested in, but just like EJ Manuel, I'm not counting on it. I'm not even that big of a Nate Peterman fan. I just see one guy doing everything that could possibly be expected of him, and a deeply flawed shiny toy who seems to be the same player he was in college, so far. I have no interest in cheering for 60 yard out of bounds passes, or talking about whatever "ceiling" means. If he shows consistent growth, I'll support him.

No, the guy we traded up to #7 for is our Franchise QB, something that Nate Peterman isn't and will never be.

You're full of nothing but hot air. You're going to change usernames before you start supporting Allen, who has clearly already made great strides from college to the draft process to OTAs to Minicamp to Training Camp to Preseason, you're just too foolish to notice.

The coaching staff of McDermott and Dabol clearly also feel the same considering Allen wasn't legitimately thought to be part of this QB competition until a week or 2 ago, but now for the first time during the preseason we know who our QB is going into the next game...

at the beginning of the week...

...for the dress rehearsal for the season opener.

If this isn't obvious to you yet SaviorPete... I mean, BurpleBu... I mean BullBuchanon... you should just change your username, get rid of all your old ones, and start fresh.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

No, the guy we traded up to #7 for is our Franchise QB, something that Nate Peterman isn't and will never be.

You're full of nothing but hot air. You're going to change usernames before you start supporting Allen, who has clearly already made great strides from college to the draft process to OTAs to Minicamp to Training Camp to Preseason, you're just too foolish to notice.

The coaching staff of McDermott and Dabol clearly also feel the same considering Allen wasn't legitimately thought to be part of this QB competition until a week or 2 ago, but now for the first time during the preseason we know who our QB is going into the next game...

at the beginning of the week...

...for the dress rehearsal for the season opener.

If this isn't obvious to you yet SaviorPete... I mean, BurpleBu... I mean BullBuchanon... you should just change your username, get rid of all your old ones, and start fresh.

I've had the same handle for 17 years. Pay attention. I saw all of your nonsense on BBMB and it didn't fly there either. The Taylor threads were gold. Enjoy your time in the majority camp.

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

99% of this thread existed before that news came out a couple hours ago. My issue is that McDermott has always talked about accountability, earning your spot, and "The Process". If he ends up starting a kid week 1 that has underperfomed his competition, then what he's essentially saying as that as long as they have an investment in you, those things matter less, or not at all.

We all told you that you were EXTREMELY naive if you didn’t think that was reality. EVERY top 10 QB ever (at least that I can think of) has been handed the job at some point. That doesn’t mean they’ve all worked out.

I can’t comprehend why you would expect this to be different? “The Bills spent 2 seasons acquiring assets and trading up to get a QB. Then on draft night they used a 1st and 2 2nds to trade up for said QB. I’m pretty sure that they did that to let him compete with Peterman. May the best man win!!” 

NO ONE around the league will view this negatively. That isn’t just the case here but with all of the teams with big qb investments. It is just more pronounced here because in addition to the trade up, they cleared the deck. There is no such thing as a top 10 QB competing for a job. They GET the job, when ready, until it’s proven that they can’t play. That’s the way it works. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

There is nothing NP can do. He isn't talented enough. He has always worked hard, but the faults in his game are not there because he hasn't worked hard they are there because he simply wasn't born with what it takes to be a starting Quarterback in the National Football League. That might be a hard message to hear but that is the truth. 

Josh Allen has gifts that Peterman doesn't and never will posses. He has to outperform Allen every practice, every game and every meeting to stay ahead. He did that week 1 of pre-season but it was never going to be sustainable because talent wins. 

Being the backup the whole season is actually Nate's best route to staying on the Bills beyond this season. If he starts he will be exposed again and as much as McDermott clearly likes him he will be forced to accept the truth. The kid isn't talented enough. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

the number one objective is to win games....from day one.  when the regular season starts, reading and diagnosing defenses pre-snap will be the biggest requirement of whoever starts. i know josh allen's the future and i think he will be great, but does he really give us the best chance to win in balt.?

will he be able to read what's in front of him?...or will he have to rely on his legs and making plays outside the pocket?  we just saw 3 yrs. of a qb whose game was limited to that and 9/13 for 60 yds. ain't gonna get it done.  i think nate gives us a better chance at outscoring the ravens combined with a good defensive effort, but not relying totally on the defense to shut them down.

the first game is a conference game and could end up being the deciding factor as to whether or not we see the post season.  i believe the veteran counsel will have a very big say in who they think should start and after reading kb's praise of peterman's accuracy, i'm willing to bet on who he would vote for.

i will take...or at least start with the guy that will completer 85% or better of his passes getting the ball out in under 2 seconds vs. relying on a rookie's athleticism when plays break down.  besides, there's no law that says that the rookie can't go in the game if the other guy can't move the ball. if you put him in as a starter and we fall behind and he's getting his ass handed to him, there's no turning back.

i doubt there's gonna be 52 guys on that opening day roster that are thinking..."well, if we lose because of growing pains, that's ok. it's all about the future."

Just now, billsredneck1 said:

i doubt there's gonna be 52 guys on that opening day roster that are thinking..."well, if we lose because of growing pains, that's ok. it's all about the future."

I doubt there is more than half a dozen guys who will make the final 53 who agree with you that Nate gives them a better chance to win. And one of that half dozen is Nate Peterman.  Watch the Micah Hyde video from the other day. He is a vet leader on this team. He wants Josh to start and he wasn't even being guarded about it.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I doubt there is more than half a dozen guys who will make the final 53 who agree with you that Nate gives them a better chance to win. And one of that half dozen is Nate Peterman.  Watch the Micah Hyde video from the other day. He is a vet leader on this team. He wants Josh to start and he wasn't even being guarded about it.  

Yup.  I don't know whether it was in this thread or another, but I mentioned that after Friday night Bills' vets on D were suddenly using the word "trust" to describe Allen.  I think Lorax even said "or one of the other guys" when talking about the QB competition -- he didn't even mention NP or AJM by name!

well my opinion is just that....an opinion. i've been watching this team since 1973 and have seen a few young qbs thrown into bad situations where as otherwise they may have grown to become good. i hate to see guys thrown to the wolves because of the price / or draft pick that was paid. again, just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

well my opinion is just that....an opinion. i've been watching this team since 1973 and have seen a few young qbs thrown into bad situations where as otherwise they may have grown to become good. i hate to see guys thrown to the wolves because of the price / or draft pick that was paid. again, just my opinion.

I get that. And if we still had Tyrod I'd be saying sit Josh Allen.  The other guys are bad. There is nothing to be gained sitting Josh behind people who have no business as NFL starters. 

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Yup.  I don't know whether it was in this thread or another, but I mentioned that after Friday night Bills' vets on D were suddenly using the word "trust" to describe Allen.  I think Lorax even said "or one of the other guys" when talking about the QB competition -- he didn't even mention NP or AJM by name!

Lorax - another leader. McDermott leans on his leadership council as we know.... Lorax, Hyde, Kyle, Hauschka, even Andre Holmes who he has talked about as a leader this offseason. He is getting a strong message from that room - play Josh.  

• Like (+1) 1