Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

5 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I don't agree with this. However, if this isn't an indictment of Nate Peterman, I don't know what is!

Sabotage indicates intent, so I’m not sure if I can go quite that far, but the entire offense was a dumpster fire. (Brady might have retired after that, in my dreams.) If it was even semi-intentional on the part of more or more players, or even a subconscious letdown, I don’t see it as a reflection on Peterman as much as anger/dissatisfaction  regarding the sitting of Tyrod. Thye were not AGAINST Nate as much as they were FOR Tyrod. There’s a difference. 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

Sabotage indicates intent, so I’m not sure if I can go quite that far, but the entire offense was a dumpster fire. (Brady might have retired after that, in my dreams.) If it was even semi-intentional on the part of more or more players, or even a subconscious letdown, I don’t see it as a reflection on Peterman as much as anger/dissatisfaction  regarding the sitting of Tyrod. Thye were not AGAINST Nate as much as they were FOR Tyrod. There’s a difference. 

This seems like a stretch in defense of Nate. When Tyrod came out in the second half, the Bills looked like a different team. My take, at the time (other than "why did I spend so much money on these tickets..."), was that Peterman could not lead the team, and was indecisive both in the huddle, and at the line. Confusion reigned in the first half. I have always said of that game that the five interceptions were only half the story of Peterman's performance.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rocky Landing said:

This seems like a stretch in defense of Nate. When Tyrod came out in the second half, the Bills looked like a different team. My take, at the time (other than "why did I spend so much money on these tickets..."), was that Peterman could not lead the team, and was indecisive both in the huddle, and at the line. Confusion reigned in the first half. I have always said of that game that the five interceptions were only half the story of Peterman's performance.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, but I’m not defending him. If some/any of our players were upset to have Peterman in while Tyrod sat, consciously or otherwise, it would be expected to improve if Tyrod stepped in. Rally, men! (And it could also be Tyrod was just that much better.)  I’m not even saying that’s the case, but something very funky went on in that first half, and I find it very hard to explain. It seemed like more than just poor QB play.  I’ve never seen anything that ugly! Or strange! (But there is a funny version of something similar in a Grisham boook, “Playing For Pizza”.) 

I have only questions about what the heck happened there, no answers.  That was just.....weird....

9 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I'm not saying it always amounted to points scored, but Tyrod Taylor was a great leader for the Buffalo Bills/ New Era football team. ( IMO )

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, suorangefan4 said:

It wasn't just pressure he had to deal with against the Chargers . The receivers weren't getting any seperation at all the entire time he played. It looked like the whole offense completely sabotaged him.

I've never seen a team let a player down more than they did to him that game. Tom Brady would've had a horrendous game if he had to play under the same circumstances.

Every other game he's played in Peterman has shown some really good things.

I always love this explanation. It was everyone letting him down. No need for excuses. It wasn’t “everyone was bad so that’s why he struggled. They sabotaged him.” This is the root of my issues with Peterman. People want to baby him and excuse him for playing terribly. It’s okay to say he was awful but has been okay otherwise. Please, please, please don’t try to justify the Chargers performance. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But you seem to have a problem with people being honest about what they have seen from him and are only looking for cheerleaders...which is rich coming from you considering you made it your career to trash TT even when he did something good for the last 3 years in every thread possible even ones that had nothing to do with TT or quarterbacks.  

I get it now, we can be honest except when it comes to TT.   

FTR I didn’t trash TT relentlessly.   It is what you assume and why you get “grumpy”

4 games with a rating of under 45 warrants criticism.   

57 minutes ago, Figster said:

I'm not saying it always amounted to points scored, but Tyrod Taylor was a great leader for the Buffalo Bills/ New Era football team. ( IMO )

...don't think you can question his work ethic , commitment or team leadership 'Fig.....his stumbling block to date (maybe change of scenery and Hugh can fix it) was inability to read/react/process entire field in a generous 5 seconds or less.....he's in the majority at this level citing Steve Young (AGAIN), "more collegians fail versus succeed at the NFL level due to the speed and complexity of the game".....hence, that weakness rendered the passing game, especially DOWNFIELD, as a non-threat for opposing defenses....no harm...no foul IMO.....kid did try like hell...now on to Hugh.....

• Like (+1) 1

Peterman had a good, even maybe very good, showing against the Panthers. But it wasn't perfect. He's generally accurate and can throw with anticipation, but he wasn't pinpoint accurate. His first throw, the slant to Cadet, was behind the receiver. It resulted in a PI call and a first down but a pass like that can easily be picked off by a good slot corner. The pick on the throw to Ivory was also slightly behind the receiver. Sure Ivory should still have made the play but it's worth mentioning that both the Cadet and Ivory throws were on slants left to right, the only ones of that kind attempted, and both were slightly off target (the Cadet throw more than the one to Ivory). Peterman's best throw was the TD pass to Streater. It was so perfectly placed that without the push off the receiver would have been in great position to beat the corner. Thing to note about that pass is that it was 40 yards in the air and Peterman did not throw his arm out making it. In other words you could probably add another 10 yards or so if you were looking to fix Peterman's long ball range. A well placed 50 yard pass is pretty good, and certainly good enuf to say that Peterman can probably throw a good deep ball. Where I think we may like to see more zip on his throws is in the intermediate range, underneath patterns, outs and curls. He has to keep DBs from comfortably sitting on his throws with the certain knowledge that the play will remain in front of them with plenty of time to pick or immediately wrap up the receiver. If he can do those things even moderately well, and keep his composure in the pocket, he probably has a future in this league. If he continues to show well in preseason I would not be surprised if the Bills looked to move AJM. It would certainly be a refreshing change to have a talented starter (Allen) backup up by a capable backup both on rookie deals.

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

It's not an excuse to say that a rookie will have a harder time playing w/ the 3s than a second year guy. If that wasn't obvious enough already. 

I've read very little from those who feel Allen should be given the starting job, where they're acknowledging a marked difference between Peterman as a second-year player, versus Josh Allen as a rookie, for most of the discussion.

So no, it's not that obvious.

Guys wanted Allen to be elevated up the depth chart so that he wouldn't be bogged down with the 'inferior' talent that surrounded him, now that wish may be granted.

And by 'no excuses', I largely mean as to why Peterman had the better game, if the end results should end up favoring him.

Just now, BurpleBull said:

I've read very little from those who feel Allen should be given the starting job, where they're acknowledging a marked difference between Peterman as a second-year player, versus Josh Allen as a rookie, for most of the discussion.

So no, it's not that obvious.

Guys wanted Allen to be elevated up the depth chart so that he wouldn't be bogged down with the 'inferior' talent that surrounded him, now that wish may be granted.

And by 'no excuses', I largely mean as to why Peterman had the better game, if the end results should end up favoring him.

...interesting how McD compared the starts of Cam versus McNabb (he experienced both)......one was "thrown to the wolves" and the other was "slow grooming until ready".......I'd say that is some pretty impressive evaluate stuff for a 2nd year HC trying to bring along what is hoped to be (FINALLY) Bflo's "franchise QB"....too conservative, paralysis by analysis, weak kneed decisiveness because he's a 2nd year guy?....you decide....in the mean time, I like his deliberate approach.........

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

If you didn't know it or are just trying to cover it up , the line ledaders decided that that they didn't like McD 's decision  to start Peterman. Peterman was just a foil. in the whole drama. Of course they played better when Tyrod came in. McD apologized to the team and all was well. I would think that Mcd knows who he can trust and if I were them I would buy my Jelly  Beans  one at a time. But that is just me

Edited by Wily Dog
corruption

3 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

If you didn't know it or are just trying to cover it up , the line led  decided that that they didn't like McD 's decision  to start Peterman. Peterman was just a foil. in the whole drama. Of course they played better when Tyrod came in. McD apologized to the team and all was well. I would think that Mcd knows who he can trust and if I were them I would buy my Jelly  Beans  one at a time. But that is just me

It's a little hard to tell exactly what you're talking about through the broken diction, and punctuation (I assume you're typing this on your phone, while driving?), but if you're trying to sell me the conspiracy theory that the offense purposely threw the first half because they didn't like McD's decision to sit TT, I'm not buying.

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

Peterman had a good, even maybe very good, showing against the Panthers. But it wasn't perfect. He's generally accurate and can throw with anticipation, but he wasn't pinpoint accurate. His first throw, the slant to Cadet, was behind the receiver. It resulted in a PI call and a first down but a pass like that can easily be picked off by a good slot corner. The pick on the throw to Ivory was also slightly behind the receiver. Sure Ivory should still have made the play but it's worth mentioning that both the Cadet and Ivory throws were on slants left to right, the only ones of that kind attempted, and both were slightly off target (the Cadet throw more than the one to Ivory). Peterman's best throw was the TD pass to Streater. It was so perfectly placed that without the push off the receiver would have been in great position to beat the corner. Thing to note about that pass is that it was 40 yards in the air and Peterman did not throw his arm out making it. In other words you could probably add another 10 yards or so if you were looking to fix Peterman's long ball range. A well placed 50 yard pass is pretty good, and certainly good enuf to say that Peterman can probably throw a good deep ball. Where I think we may like to see more zip on his throws is in the intermediate range, underneath patterns, outs and curls. He has to keep DBs from comfortably sitting on his throws with the certain knowledge that the play will remain in front of them with plenty of time to pick or immediately wrap up the receiver. If he can do those things even moderately well, and keep his composure in the pocket, he probably has a future in this league. If he continues to show well in preseason I would not be surprised if the Bills looked to move AJM. It would certainly be a refreshing change to have a talented starter (Allen) backup up by a capable backup both on rookie deals.

Agreed.

It could have easily picked by the actual defender guarding the receiver and it was his worst pass, because it came on the very first play.

As I see it, Peterman's biggest issue with some of the more difficult completions that rely on timing, is that he can get casual at times throwing the football.

Peterman is an honest guy who is constantly looking to get better, so I would imagine this pass, along with the pick was scrutinized by both Daboll and Peterman together.

I felt encouraged reading that the practice following that game, was heavy on completing the short pass; makes me think Daboll and the coaches wanted to work specifically on cleaning up the throwing mechanics on shorter routes, so picks like the one to Ivory at the tail end of a quarter, isn't a recurring thing.

Peterman acknowledged during his mid-game interview that he could've done things better---there were only two errors---so I'm hopeful that what he took away from that game, is that he must keep his mind in the game at all times, his foot on the gas, and not become complacent when throwing the ball.

On to game two.

22 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

It's a little hard to tell exactly what you're talking about through the broken diction, and punctuation (I assume you're typing this on your phone, while driving?), but if you're trying to sell me the conspiracy theory that the offense purposely threw the first half because they didn't like McD's decision to sit TT, I'm not buying.

The offense was going to suck regardless so it's not an important point. The offence as a total product held Tyrod and Peterman back. 3 points in the playoffs. That is so lackluster. So boring. No conspiracy here just flat out Savage levels of not scoring points. 

Please tell me more about the chargers game. Let's only care about that game. 

Edited by Lfod

24 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

It was reported by the press but i suspect your not one who believes them or pays attention to them if you disagree , or you even reads   them.

Edited by Wily Dog
space