Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

11 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

How are we supposed to know if that rings true yet? We haven't seen anything about McDermott's approach from here, yet.

So you're asking this question, the obvious question you're forced answer first is how did you think each of the QBs played?

Did you think Peterman's performance was "off-the-charts?"

How about McCarron?

Was Allen's performance "just okay?"

Pretty curious as to what you think the level of each performance was because the level of each guy's performance dictates the entire statement you refer to.

This is just a weird post from someone who either didn't watch the game or believes the QB is responsible for the faults of not just himself, but also the other 10 guys on offense.

Allen was damn good tonight. I think we should all be a bit more comfortable with our QB situation right now.

Confirmation bias? 47% completion percentage and a couple of amazing throws. His fundamentals are still poor, he puts way too much zip on passes that need touch, and he put the ball in bad spots a couple of times trying to do too much. If you told me I was watching a Wyoming game, I wouldn't have even flinched.

Edited by BullBuchanan

21 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Being on here and other sites and twitter every day since he's been here? If you had to say what does Nate Peterman do well you wouldn't say he knows where he wants to go with the ball presnap, makes quick decisions, has a quick release and throws an accurate short pass? He hasn't ever shown any consistent ability to complete long passes or deep outs or deep crosses or anything over 20 yards that wasn't a lob or showed the requisite arm strength. There was one excellent sideline toss of 21 yards last preseason. There wasn't even one attempt tonight. 

I would say, you are putting words in my mouth.

Just as you are doing with the majority of this forum's members for the sake of commonizing Peterman's performance.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Pasaluki said:

Both Peterman and McCarron played excellent tonight. I would actually say that for all the talk about Peterman not handling pressure well and getting happy feet (which is 100% true and leads to poor decisions), McCarron has a problem with staying in the pocket way too long and taking tons of sacks. 

hopefully one of these guys starts all season and then gets traded for 2 first round picks.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

42 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Yea, he was too busy having a perfect outing. This is a blatant troll job.

Who had a perfect outing? Peterman?

He was good, but that interception was on him. Short pass to the receiver and he threw it behind him.

Not perfect.

13 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Confirmation bias? 47% completion percentage and a couple of amazing throws. His fundamentals are still poor, he puts way too much zip on passes that need touch, and he put the ball in bad spots a couple of times trying to do too much. If you told me I was watching a Wyoming game, I wouldn't have even flinched.

Did you just friggin throw out completion % after that game??? :lol:

Clearly you didn't watch the game... or you stopped watching after your hero left the field.

What a joke.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Who had a perfect outing? Peterman?

He was good, but that interception was on him. Short pass to the receiver and he threw it behind him.

Not perfect.

Hit Ivory in the hands. It was behind him, but you touch it, you catch it. At minimum you don't bobble it in the air. Didn't adjust his body at all. Pop Warner 101. You kids are fighting so hard to take away from a breathtaking performance. It's really sad that you'd rather cheer for an incomplete pass than a guy that threw back to back touchdowns after a sketchy penalty tried to steal the momentum.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Hit Ivory in the hands. It was behind him, but you touch it, you catch it. At minimum you don't bobble it in the air. Didn't adjust his body at all. Pop Warner 101. You kids are fighting so hard to take away from a breathtaking performance. It's really sad that you'd rather cheer for an incomplete pass than a guy that threw back to back touchdowns after a sketchy penalty tried to steal the momentum.

It was a really good performance, except for that bad pass. Far from breathtaking.

The improved arm strength is noticeable, but far from what was advertised.

Why are you fighting so hard? Are you really just trolling? Everyone thinks Peterman played well. But it's not like he's the 6 Million Dollar Man who was completely remade in the offseason.

After today's performance I feel better than I did 24 hours ago if he's our placeholder to start the season... meaning I feel we could actually win games with him.

What exactly about that do you feel the need to fight about? :huh:

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

He threw the pigskin over the mountains, but his spotty accuracy and suspect decision making forced him to come up short.

I am pretty sure I know the two "inaccurate" passes you're talking about and they weren't inaccurate. The receivers ran a different route than Allen expected. The first one he immediately tapped himself to say "my bad." The second one I'm not sure who's to blame. But those are the mistakes I expect to see in preseason game 1 in a complicated offense. The things he did well were a lot more impressive. I thought his biggest mistakes were trying to hit receivers that were completely blanketed, but in his defense his receivers were blanketed most of the night and his two best plays came on throws to blanketed receivers. I need to see him with the 1s to have a better opinion but it was a very promising start.

And Peterman's poor velocity was still there last night. I say that as someone that has defended him. He isn't going to be able to challenge defenses, although personally I didn't see McCarron's performance as that much better.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Not to mention that we have one star and one thing we do well and it's called Shady. Every team in the NFL if they really want to take away one element of your game can do a decent job of it. If we cannot get the ball downfield they can somewhat neuter Shady. That why we need the threat and arm of Allen.  

I do my best to try and hear each poster out and to read intently with what their attempting to communicate. Sometimes I misread something and misconstrue their intent or sometimes I just misunderstand what they're saying. But in your case, I really don't understand your crusade against Peterman. 

To be fair, I haven't really been a fan of any of the QBs on the Bills. Last year I defended Peterman not because I thought he was the answer but because Tyrod had about 3 games in a row that were well below NFL caliber and giving Peterman an opportunity to play seemed to make sense in light of Tyrod's play. However, after that everyone wanted to throw Peterman to the lions and I simply said, "Let's give it time and perspective...he's  a Rookie". Then AJ came to town and I was thinking "Meh....we'll see".....and then Allen was Drafted when I would have *preferred* Darnold or even Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph in the 2nd or with the Bills' second 1st round pick...but, I trust the process so because to me it was well confirmed that Allen needed at least a year to be able to work on fundamentals, i.e. foot work, and grow into himself as an NFL QB, I was fine with seeing how Peterman and AJ play this out. 

I'm not on either side of Peterman or AJ - and I really liked what I saw from Allen last night despite what looked like a re-run of his Wyoming days with receivers dropping balls and the Offensive line not blocking well enough for him - but to summarily dismiss Peterman as a possible option at QB simply because you are thoroughly convinced he's incapable despite others with more experience and or knowledge, is the height of arrogance. Will Peterman continue to play well when the Defense changes things and Offense isn't so vanilla-esque? I have no idea...will he progress and show real signs of maturity and development in multiple areas? I have no idea....that's kind of the point though, right? We just don't know....let's give it the Pre-Season, practices in camp, and let the coaches do their job before we start looking for the pitchforks and torches. That's my only beef with anyone at this point.....before we build a statue for Allen or burn down Peterman's house....let's just give it at least two more Pre-Season games and camp to before we jump on either train of thought. 

Fair enough?

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

From Rochesterfirst.com

"Peterman went a perfect seven for seven in his first drive, ending with a 28 yard touchdown to Kelvin Benjamin. Peterman's night ended early in the second quarter. He finished nine for ten with one TD, one INT and 119 yards".

I expected a bit more from you.   

Wasn’t Nate was a perfect 9 for 9 until the INT that went through the receivers hands. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

3 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

I do my best to try and hear each poster out and to read intently with what their attempting to communicate. Sometimes I misread something and misconstrue their intent or sometimes I just misunderstand what they're saying. But in your case, I really don't understand your crusade against Peterman. 

To be fair, I haven't really been a fan of any of the QBs on the Bills. Last year I defended Peterman not because I thought he was the answer but because Tyrod had about 3 games in a row that were well below NFL caliber and giving Peterman an opportunity to play seemed to make sense in light of Tyrod's play. However, after that everyone wanted to throw Peterman to the lions and I simply said, "Let's give it time and perspective...he's  a Rookie". Then AJ came to town and I was thinking "Meh....we'll see".....and then Allen was Drafted when I would have *preferred* Darnold or even Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph in the 2nd or with the Bills' second 1st round pick...but, I trust the process so because to me it was well confirmed that Allen needed at least a year to be able to work on fundamentals, i.e. foot work, and grow into himself as an NFL QB, I was fine with seeing how Peterman and AJ play this out. 

I'm not on either side of Peterman or AJ - and I really liked what I saw from Allen last night despite what looked like a re-run of his Wyoming days with receivers dropping balls and the Offensive line not blocking well enough for him - but to summarily dismiss Peterman as a possible option at QB simply because you are thoroughly convinced he's incapable despite others with more experience and or knowledge, is the height of arrogance. Will Peterman continue to play well when the Defense changes things and Offense isn't so vanilla-esque? I have no idea...will he progress and show real signs of maturity and development in multiple areas? I have no idea....that's kind of the point though, right? We just don't know....let's give it the Pre-Season, practices in camp, and let the coaches do their job before we start looking for the pitchforks and torches. That's my only beef with anyone at this point.....before we build a statue for Allen or burn down Peterman's house....let's just give it at least two more Pre-Season games and camp to before we jump on either train of thought. 

Fair enough?

It is. I said he had a great game. I was just pointing out the same things that were his death knell last year were not disproved by this great performance. He does one basic thing very well and he did it excellent last night. But that’s all he did. But if he cannot do what he was awful at last year he will never be good. It’s possible but highly unlikely imo. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Yea, he was too busy having a perfect outing. This is a blatant troll job.

No, its Kelly the dog giving you his opinion.

One I happen to share. Peterman is a one read QB reliant on getting the ball out as quick as possible to make up for a weaker NFL arm.

Can you win games with Peterman? absolutely, but the OC will have to work around his limitations.(IMO)

Allen and McCArron on the other hand have no limitations.

Josh Allen can make throws that not many NFL QB's can make.( IMO)

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

"he knows where he wants to go with the ball presnap, makes quick decisions, has a quick release and throws an accurate short pass" Athletic, plays with intensity, smart, resilient.

That's not necessarily a strength.   Defenses routinely bait weak armed QBs into one-read traps.   

What does Nate do if he has to come off that initial read after the snap?    Answer--we don't know because he never scans the field, he just chucks it.    Which is a big reason why he has INT issues...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I expected a bit more from you.   

Wasn’t Nate was a perfect 9 for 9 until the INT that went through the receivers hands. 

I think I'm pretty even-keeled.

Unlike a lot of posters who mocked Peterman's potential---through GIFs a lot of times---and labelled him practice squad material beforehand, but are now labelling him surefire, official "trade bait", scaling back their attacks on him, pretending to have seen this potential all along.

Three more games to go.

Let's go, Peterman!

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

So you can't answer the question. What do you think Peterman does well? Throw deep? Avoid the rush? Nail the deep out? 

based on last night?

He avoided the rush, rolled out and nailed a perfect pass to Benjamin. 
He completed two long balls.

What did you see?

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

That's not necessarily a strength.   Defenses routinely bait weak armed QBs into one-read traps.   

What does Nate do if he has to come off that initial read after the snap?    Answer--we don't know because he never scans the field, he just chucks it.    Which is a big reason why he has INT issues...

If that's what you saw last night, we were on different TV stations.

At least four of the passes were to second or third reads. And defenses routinely bait stupid QBs into one-read traps. 

Again, the weakest armed, successful QB since 2000 was Chad Pennington and he rarely threw interceptions. Interceptions are the domain of the rocket armed guy; first, because it is inherently difficult to be both accurate and throw hard. Second, because wide receivers fail to catch a fast ball.

20 minutes ago, Figster said:

Can you win games with Peterman? absolutely, but the OC will have to work around his limitations.(IMO)

Allen and McCArron on the other hand have no limitations.

McCarron literally throws the ball at almost EXACTLY the same speed as Peterman. McCarron throws at 53 MPH, Peterman at 50 (presuming that Peterman has not increased his arm strength. It is widely reported that he did just that this off season.)

5 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

I think I'm pretty even-keeled.

Unlike a lot of posters who mocked Peterman's potential---through GIFs a lot of times---and labelled him practice squad material beforehand, but are now labelling him surefire, official "trade bait", scaling back their attacks on him, pretending to have seen this potential all along.

Three more games to go.

Let's go, Peterman!

I still don’t think that he’s good. I thought he played exceptionally well. I firmly believe that he is not, and will never be, a starting caliber QB. He’s a one read QB with limited arm strength. If I were a DC I would play press man all game long. I have no idea how he could possibly succeed against that? Press man is kryptonite for what he does well. Obviously that isn’t necessary in preseason but it will be when the bullets start flying.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I still don’t think that he’s good. I thought he played exceptionally well. I firmly believe that he is not, and will never be, a starting caliber QB. He’s a one read QB with limited arm strength. If I were a DC I would play press man all game long. I have no idea how he could possibly succeed against that? Press man is kryptonite for what he does well. Obviously that isn’t necessary in preseason but it will be when the bullets start flying.

You've already almost certainly been proven wrong in at least one of your claims, I don't know why you and some of these other posters continue to go on in such definitive manner with your claims, as if you haven't already been shown up in your previous positions on where things stand.

30 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

based on last night?

He avoided the rush, rolled out and nailed a perfect pass to Benjamin. 
He completed two long balls.

What did you see?

If that's what you saw last night, we were on different TV stations.

At least four of the passes were to second or third reads. And defenses routinely bait stupid QBs into one-read traps. 

Again, the weakest armed, successful QB since 2000 was Chad Pennington and he rarely threw interceptions. Interceptions are the domain of the rocket armed guy; first, because it is inherently difficult to be both accurate and throw hard. Second, because wide receivers fail to catch a fast ball.

McCarron literally throws the ball at almost EXACTLY the same speed as Peterman. McCarron throws at 53 MPH, Peterman at 50 (presuming that Peterman has not increased his arm strength. It is widely reported that he did just that this off season.)

50 and 53 are not exactly the same and the number I have on Peterman is 49.

When 55 is the preferred velocity for an NFL QB wouldn't you agree that every MPH slower makes a difference when it comes to limitations?

Peterman puts allot of air under most of his throws where as A J by way of example makes higher velocity throws on a regular basis.

In comparison to Peterman/ 49 Josh Allen can throw 15 to 20 MPH faster.

You can have success with lower velocity QB, of that I agree, but with lower velocity comes limitations in my humble opinion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2