Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

You will say anything to prop up Peterman to the point where it is weird. Is there another QB alive (or any other player, for that matter), that you are so willing to give such a long tether?

That's not me reaching. I didn't use words like "superb" or "magnificent" when describing Peterman's preseason performance, I simply pointed out why so many came away impressed with Peterman. 

He showed poise and that he could move the offense...that doesn't necessarily show when you present a 54% completion percentage as proof.

34 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

He did show good accuracy, not with every pass, but he did show accuracy that I feel can be built on.

There's a difference between having good accuracy, posting 54% and 49% comp. percentages for various reasons and being an errant, erratic passer.

Peterman's not an errant or erratic passer. He wasn't in college and in the pros you can really only point to one out of five games that he appeared in, if you wanted to make the argument that he is.

He was praised for being accurate  when throwing from a clean pocket, it's when he's been under duress early on that his numbers tended to dip, but with more acclimation to the pro game, I would expect more comfort operating within the pocket and better production.

You're absolutely right. On quick out passes of 6 yards or less. Otherwise, no.

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

54% completion and 5.7 YPA impresses you? I’m sorry but my standards are higher than that. You’re entitled to your opinion but we aren’t ever going to agree on that. 

Fair enough.

But you must've been very unimpressed with Peyton Manning too, then, yeah?

First three games he went 61 for 117, 52.1% completions, 2 TDs and 8 INTs with a YPA of 5.8.

Wait, Peterman appeared in four games. Lemme take a quick look ... yup, Peyton wasn't much better in his fourth game, 19 for 32, 1 TD, 3 INTs.

Plenty of rookies put up early stats that are in no way indicative of what they can eventually do. I'm not convinced yet about Peterman but I'm certainly interested, maybe even a bit excited to see what happens with him, and the other two as well. Rookies are going to tend to make mistakes.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Wily Dog said:

So you think he stinks , that is your right but you are going against  some football people  that i would surmise know a hell of a lot more about football than you , The coaches of the Bills for instance.

Yes, based on what I’ve seen my opinion of him is different than the Bills. He was still the 191st pick in the draft so a lot of other football people weren’t too high on him either.  In a QB starved league, teams had a lot of guys ahead of him: Turbisky, Mahomes, Watson, Kizer, Webb, Beathard and Dobbs. Completing less than half of your passes and being picked 6 times isn’t making those teams regret passing on him. 

So while some football people have a higher opinion of him than me, others probably don’t. I hope that he’s great but don’t think that he is.

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Fair enough.

First three games he went 61 for 117, 52.1% completions, 2 TDs and 8 INTs with a YPA of 5.8.

Wait, Peterman appeared in four games. Lemme take a quick look ... yup, Peyton wasn't much better in his fourth game, 19 for 32, 1 TD, 3 INTs.

Plenty of rookies put up early stats that are in no way indicative of what they can eventually do. I'm not convinced yet about Peterman but I'm certainly interested, maybe even a bit excited to see what happens with him, and the other two as well. Rookies are going to tend to make mistakes.

Really? We're comparing our 5th rounder to the 1st overall pick 2 decades ago? Arguably the greatest regular season QB ever?

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Fair enough.

Peyton Manning was a generational prospect. Peterman was the 191st overall pick. I am always willing to be more patient with a top end talent. Isn’t that obvious? Do you believe that Peterman is going to be given as many opportunities as Allen if Allen struggles early? The answer is of course not. Jeff Tuel was WAY better than Peterman in his first start. Are you upset that you didn’t get to see more of him or was he just a marginal talent that washed out of the league? 

28 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yes, based on what I’ve seen my opinion of him is different than the Bills. He was still the 191st pick in the draft so a lot of other football people weren’t too high on him either.  In a QB starved league, teams had a lot of guys ahead of him: Turbisky, Mahomes, Watson, Kizer, Webb, Beathard and Dobbs. Completing less than half of your passes and being picked 6 times isn’t making those teams regret passing on him. 

So while some football people have a higher opinion of him than me, others probably don’t. I hope that he’s great but don’t think that he is.

I think what you said is fair. Peterman isn't a guy I would bet on being great. I don't think Peterman was ready to start. I just don't rule him out just yet. The rookie did throw himself headfirst in that snow game. That was a stupid move but it showed a guy with heart. 

Peterman was in over his head in that Chargers game. You could consider it a debacle. He wasn't terrible in his second debut in the snow. He just made a stupid dive trying to get more yards and it cost him. 

I don't think Peterman is a main plan but he is in the mix so maybe they see a potential to grow still. I'm ok with that considering the circumstances. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You're absolutely right. On quick out passes of 6 yards or less. Otherwise, no.

I will say this, if Peterman's 49% regular season comp. percentage were attached to each post of yours for accuracy, it would be a fair indicator of your validity as a poster.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aKduBp70kJg

Keep working on your half truths...only a percent away.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/21/2018 at 6:29 PM, Captain Murica said:

There needs to be some type of Breathalyzer device implemented before posting threads on the message board.

Peterman is fighting for a roster spot. I was okay with him starting since the offense was wet dog **** with Tyrod in there. But, I've seen enough of Peterman. We have McCarron and Allen who both are relatively young. 

One really bad half in his rookie year against a pretty good defense is enough for you to judge the guy forever?

3 minutes ago, HT02 said:

One really bad half in his rookie year against a pretty good defense is enough for you to judge the guy forever?

I keep asking (and no one is answering), how much of Jeff Tuel did you need to see to form an opinion? Do you think he deserved more chances? He was WAY better in his opportunity than Peterman. Why was it okay to write off Tuel but not Peterman? What about Levi Brown? Gibran Hamdan? Brian Brohm?

• Like (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

I will say this, if Peterman's 49% regular season comp. percentage were attached to each post of yours for accuracy, it would be a fair indicator of your validity as a poster.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aKduBp70kJg

Keep working on your half truths...only a percent away.

I admit that he did throw 3-4 nice passes in that game, his very best game, in which he was 10-20, and two field goals. 

General Manager Brandon Beane praised Peterman’s steadiness as well as his resilience after the rough opening to his pro career.

“That’s why I love football … it’s not how hard you get knocked down, it’s how quickly you get back up,” Beane said. “And you know, the things I’ve said to him, I can go through a lot of rookies. Troy Aikman, Peyton Manning, a lot of these guys, there are miserable games and miserable opening seasons. Peyton was 3-13 in his rookie season. It’s just, you know, it’s not easy. … I admire his toughness. He comes back in his next [starting] opportunity [against the Colts] and it’s snowing like crazy. If the guy had any luck last year it was bad luck. And yet you haven’t seen it carry over out here. I know, probably more than anybody, he’s wanting to say, ‘Let me get out there and show you what I can do. Give me another chance here.'”

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, HT02 said:

Yes, for me it is. 

In a gun fight would you want the Super Soaker(Peterman) or the 300 weatherby mag(Josh Allen)? 

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I keep asking (and no one is answering), how much of Jeff Tuel did you need to see to form an opinion? Do you think he deserved more chances? He was WAY better in his opportunity than Peterman. Why was it okay to write off Tuel but not Peterman? What about Levi Brown? Gibran Hamdan? Brian Brohm?

They're not going to. 

Edited by Captain Murica

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I liked Jeff Tuel and thought that he was a decent  QB  but the powers that be  decided that he was  not, Brown ,Hamdan, and Brohm, not so much. There is the possibility that the " Braintrust"  was wrong in their dismissal of Tuel or they were spot on. That said, The Braintrust has continued to support Peterman , there are many factors in his favor as Beane said. Methinks that you are grasping at straws trying to  justify your position. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Really? We're comparing our 5th rounder to the 1st overall pick 2 decades ago? Arguably the greatest regular season QB ever?

Nothing in this thread surprises me.

6 hours ago, Lfod said:

I think what you said is fair. Peterman isn't a guy I would bet on being great. I don't think Peterman was ready to start. I just don't rule him out just yet. The rookie did throw himself headfirst in that snow game. That was a stupid move but it showed a guy with heart. 

Peterman was in over his head in that Chargers game. You could consider it a debacle. He wasn't terrible in his second debut in the snow. He just made a stupid dive trying to get more yards and it cost him. 

I don't think Peterman is a main plan but he is in the mix so maybe they see a potential to grow still. I'm ok with that considering the circumstances. 

A good assessment of Peterman so far.  I'm surprised how well he has played in OTA's and he deserves the chance he will get in camp.

I'll wait until the pads come on and he faces a pass rush before he can convince me he should start week 1.

Having Nate and AJ play well thru camp and preseason would be a good thing for the Buffalo Bills.

All that being said I do hope that Josh Allen steadily improves and get's a shot at starting sometime in 2018 barring a playoff run by one of the

other QBs.

3 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

I liked Jeff Tuel and thought that he was a decent  QB  but the powers that be  decided that he was  not

Are you defining "powers that be" as "all 32 NFL GMs?"  Because that's what happened.