Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

On 5/21/2018 at 3:16 PM, BurpleBull said:

Nathan Peterman will win the starting QB position barring injury. He'll be much improved from last season.

Excited about Josh Allen as the starting QB, but Peterman is the guy people aren't talking about right now who will have everyone talking by the end of training camp.

He's worked on his mechanics, is said to have added velocity to his throws, has a lot to prove and is no stranger to struggling early in his career and picking himself up.

A little talked about fact concerning Peterman is that he's right up there with Allen as Bills QB's who've scored high on the Wonderlic test for those who equate the test to mental sharpness.

I still hold to the belief that Peterman was at the very least a third round prospect in his draft class.

Peterman will be the guy.

So this is how I have it panning out... 

1. Peterman

2. McCarron

3. Allen

With Allen at three for his protection as he starts out his young career.

Lord have mercy on our souls. Peterman is HORRIBLE.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Your attempt to validate him based on preseason performances vs. 3rd stringers is equally as empty.

I base Peterman's potential off of his college play and what he showed in his first action of pre-season and regular season play, and yes I'm aware of him throwing five interceptions.

That's not empty.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

I base Peterman's potential off of his college play and what he showed in his first action of pre-season and regular season play, and yes I'm aware of him throwing five interceptions.

That's not empty.

Good enough to be drafted at the end of the fifth round where about one out of fifty turns out to be a solid starting QB? I like them odds!

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You are forgetting one thing. Taylor had just finished two full regular seasons as a starting QB. He didn't need to show he could lead an offense. The offense couldn't have been more vanilla if you recall the games. Peterman was in his first chance at showing he could and he did little. And then when he finally had his chance to show what he could do in a real game, he HAD THE WORST HALF A QB HAS EVER PLAYED IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL. And it wasn't even close.

I'm pretty sure as you witnessed Taylor's performance you were able to dismiss it and not view it as a reminder of previous struggles due to him finishing two full seasons as a starting QB.

I was watching to see progression as a QB from the last season and a firm grasp of the new offense under Dennison from Taylor, although I'm certain you weren't.

11 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

That's not empty.

54% completion and 5.7 YPA impresses you? I’m sorry but my standards are higher than that. You’re entitled to your opinion but we aren’t ever going to agree on that. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Good enough to be drafted at the end of the fifth round where about one out of fifty turns out to be a solid starting QB? I like them odds!

have there been 49 since Tommy was drafted? We're due.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

54% completion and 5.7 YPA impresses you? I’m sorry but my standards are higher than that. You’re entitled to your opinion but we aren’t ever going to agree on that. 

It's not always about numbers. 

If Peterman builds on last season, the numbers are sure to follow.

Peterman showed passing willingness that Taylor just didn't a lot of times, along with good accuracy. 

He can build on that. 

14 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

But Tom Brady...

I won't even go there.

How about Marc Bulger in the 6th?

A pick was actually used on Peterman, what about those who weren't even drafted that went on to have solid careers?

Kurt Warner, Tony Romo,...

Peterman has his shot.

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Perhaps you wanted an argument? Thats down the hall..

tell me you have never added Tabasco to a sausage gravy ?
Tell the truth Hap  !!

I’m a great lover of Tobasco, myself. But when it comes to a Southern sausage gravy (nothing else should be served with crow) it’s Red Rooster, or Crystal, ftw. 

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Peterman showed passing willingness that Taylor just didn't a lot of times, along with good accuracy. 

He can build on that. 

He didn’t show “good accuracy” though. You wanted him to. He completed 54% for 5.7 YPA in the preseason. He completed 49% in the regular season with a 5.1 YPA. That is absolutely awful!! There is nothing to build on. If you want to say “you like the way that he has looked this offseason after struggling so badly” that would be fair. To say that he showed “good accuracy” that’s just not accurate (no pun intended).

• Like (+1) 4

30 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

He can build on that. 

You will say anything to prop up Peterman to the point where it is weird. Is there another QB alive (or any other player, for that matter), that you are so willing to give such a long tether?

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He didn’t show “good accuracy” though. You wanted him to. He completed 54% for 5.7 YPA in the preseason. He completed 49% in the regular season with a 5.1 YPA. That is absolutely awful!! There is nothing to build on. If you want to say “you like the way that he has looked this offseason after struggling so badly” that would be fair. To say that he showed “good accuracy” that’s just not accurate (no pun intended).

I can feel it.....with one or two more posts he’s going to sway you and you’ll join his side!  I can tell you’re close.....    

?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I can feel it.....with one or two more posts he’s going to sway you and you’ll join his side!  I can tell you’re close.....    

?

It’s like saying “Lee Smith showed good speed.” If you liked Lee Smith’s blocking, fine. If you liked his speed, no.

19 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s like saying “Lee Smith showed good speed.” If you liked Lee Smith’s blocking, fine. If you liked his speed, no.

Lee "I don't cut" Smith? Remember that one? IIRC, he caught a pass near the sideline and after the play a lineman blocking downfield for him asked him why he didn't just cut inside of the block where the field was wide open and he could have got a huge chunk of YAC and Smith said, "I don't cut."

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Fair but 29 preseason pass attempts is a small sample size for a guy with 30 regular season starts. 

Hope that he plays great...what else would we want?

HOPING that he will be great and THINKING that he will aren’t the same. I think that he stinks. I hope that he goes to the HOF and wins Super Bowls as the Bills QB.

So you think he stinks , that is your right but you are going against  some football people  that i would surmise know a hell of a lot more about football than you , The coaches of the Bills for instance.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He did show good accuracy, not with every pass, but he did show accuracy that I feel can be built on.

There's a difference between having good accuracy, posting 54% and 49% comp. percentages for various reasons and being an errant, erratic passer.

Peterman's not an errant or erratic passer. He wasn't in college and in the pros you can really only point to one out of five games that he appeared in, if you wanted to make the argument that he is.

He was praised for being accurate  when throwing from a clean pocket, it's when he's been under duress early on that his numbers tended to dip, but with more acclimation to the pro game, I would expect more comfort operating within the pocket and better production.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Make no mistake, Big Lee Smith could bring the heat:

WRT this thread...I'm amazed the conversation has lasted this long. Apologies for the distraction. Nothing to see here. Carry on.

• Like (+1) 1