Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

Unfortunately this debate cant really be furthered for the next 6 weeks which is a bit of a shame.. Doubt it is likely to stop though...

As we head into the break, my Week 1 starter probabilities is as follows;

AJ- 45%

JA- 35%

NP -20%

Would have had Peterman about a 3% chance before OTA's...

52 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Who do I need to be other than myself with what I witnessed with my own eyes? If that doesn't fit your opinion....Oh well.   He showed that he had almost no poise under pressure and limited physical skills along with spotty decision making and inconsistent mechanics.  If you are impressed by that, then that's okay by me.  I'm looking for more. 

I agree with you. He didn't impress me last pre season. He looked like an NFL QB from central casting. 6' 2" pocket passer.  But he only completed 1 /2 his passes.   His longest pass was about 20 yards. He had a hard time when the pass rush was heavier, and he fumbled a couple of times. He did make some nice

Passes, there were just way too many bad ones in between.

Edited by reddogblitz

51 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He looked okay against 3rd and 4th stringers many who didn't make final rosters against vanilla defenses that we see in the preseason.  When he got in real games we saw exactly who he was as I stated before he played against the Chargers. My assessment was confirmed regardless of what you claim. 

from newyorkupstate.com

Nathan Peterman enters

"The silver lining of Taylor going down was the Bills getting a chance to see. rookie quarterback Nathan Peterman with the first-team offense. It was an uneven night for Peterman. His protection was not great, and the offensive line took a few costly penalties that negated big gains. Still, Peterman weathered the storm and looked confident in the pocket. He got the ball out on time and didn’t let the moment overwhelm him. He finished his time with Buffalo’s first-team defense 11-for-23 passing for 93 yards. He led the first-team offense to the only touchdown it has scored all preseason. An argument can be made Peterman looked more comfortable Saturday than Taylor has this preseason, and Peterman’s preseason performance has created an interesting conversation".

Peterman was impressive against other rookies and players trying to make the cut and was respectable against the Ravens first team defense.

I'm just pointing out how your claims about Peterman not putting together an impressive rookie preseason, might not ring true to others who watched. 

If Peterman can improve on last year's solid preseason, then the likelihood of him being named regular season starting QB increases. 

Rookies improve from one season to the next, so your assessment based on the Chargers game, regardless of how accurate you feel it was, isn't some final verdict on Peterman's potential.

It's cool though.

6 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

from newyorkupstate.com

Nathan Peterman enters

"The silver lining of Taylor going down was the Bills getting a chance to see. rookie quarterback Nathan Peterman with the first-team offense. It was an uneven night for Peterman. His protection was not great, and the offensive line took a few costly penalties that negated big gains. Still, Peterman weathered the storm and looked confident in the pocket. He got the ball out on time and didn’t let the moment overwhelm him. He finished his time with Buffalo’s first-team defense 11-for-23 passing for 93 yards. He led the first-team offense to the only touchdown it has scored all preseason. An argument can be made Peterman looked more comfortable Saturday than Taylor has this preseason, and Peterman’s preseason performance has created an interesting conversation".

Peterman was impressive against other rookies and players trying to make the cut and was respectable against the Ravens first team defense.

I'm just pointing out how your claims about Peterman not putting together an impressive rookie preseason, might not ring true to others who watched. 

If Peterman can improve on last year's solid preseason, then the likelihood of him being named regular season starting QB increases. 

Rookies improve from one season to the next, so your assessment based on the Chargers game, regardless of how accurate you feel it was, isn't some final verdict on Peterman's potential.

It's cool though.

My assessment is based on more than the Chargers' game.  It's also based on what he showed in College, preseason, and the rest of his regular season/playoff action. 

If he improves, then great.  Either way Josh Allen is the future QB of the Bills no later than 2019. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

My assessment is based on more than the Chargers' game.  It's also based on what he showed in College, preseason, and the rest of his regular season/playoff action. 

If he improves, then great.  Either way Josh Allen is the future QB of the Bills no later than 2019. 

Its cool.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You seem to keep missing the point that he looked the part of a QB over the other guy also with crap preseason stats against vanilla defenses.  

In vanilla schemes his “competition”  provided us with a sub 45 qb rating for most of the 3rd preseason game. ? 

So you can continue to complain about a 5th rounder all you need to justify your assessment.   

Just my personal theory, but beane and McDermott are probably hoping Peterman is the starter come opening day. If he plays half way decent for the season, they can use him as trade bait. We got a 3rd for Tyrod. If we got a 3rd for Peterman that would be a huge win for beane. On the other hand if Peterman is the next Brady, then you could potentially trade Allen for a 1st or maybe more. That last scenario is incredibly unlikely, but stranger things have happened

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He looked okay against 3rd and 4th stringers many who didn't make final rosters against vanilla defenses that we see in the preseason.  When he got in real games we saw exactly who he was as I stated before he played against the Chargers. My assessment was confirmed regardless of what you claim. 

No mention of the the OL taking a few plays off, interesting

16 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I would say that’s true. The arms are maybe comparable but Peterman is a better athlete than McCarron. Peterman is an underrated athlete. 

I was joking a bit... I actually think it's almost unfathomable to me that anyone would say Nate Peterman doesn't have the weaker arm.

He has one of the weakest NFL arms I've ever seen!

Here are their scouting profiles:

McCarron:

Strengths

Well-versed operating a pro-style offense and makes NFL-style progression reads. Is comfortable working from under center and in the gun. Mobile enough to sidestep the first wave. Good field vision, timing and anticipation. Very good short-to-intermediate accuracy (evidenced by a 66.9 percent career completion rate). Throws with accuracy on the move -- good wrist snap. Delivers the ball under duress. Has enough arm strength to fit the ball into spots. Consistent throwing mechanics -- has a smooth stroke. Good caretaker and decision-maker. Mature leader. Smart and articulate. Highly competitive team leader -- holds teammates accountable. Very well-prepared. Directed back-to-back national championship offenses.

Weaknesses

Surrounded by an NFL-caliber supporting cast with a very good offensive line that provides a lot of time to dissect the field. Does not have a big-time, vertical arm. Average athlete. Makes occasional bone-headed decisions. Heaves the deep ball and forces receivers to make adjustments. Does not drive the deep out.

Peterman:

Strengths

Smooth, quick set-up in pocket. Grips the ball with big, 10-inch hands. Poised in pocket and takes the hit to deliver a completion. Will set-up, slide and then re-set before making his throw. Can cut it loose from off-balance angles from bootleg or play-action if he sees a winning option break open early. Full field reader. Works all the way through his progressions. Shoots glances at safeties to keep them in check. Strong natural accuracy. Able to throw receivers open and lead them away from danger. Can pinpoint passes to moving targets in his intermediate work. Has enough arm to work field side, intermediate throws. Great vision. Sees passing windows before they develop. Throws with outstanding timing and anticipation. Can put the ball on receivers' hands as soon as they come out of a break if coverage dictates it. Utilizes accuracy and anticipation to challenge windows on all three levels. Won at Clemson hanging five touchdown passes on their talented stop unit. Good escapability and can extend drives with his legs. Excellent deep ball accuracy completing 46.2 percent of his deep throws.

Weaknesses

Inconsistent delivery base causes some throws to sail. Has instances where he short strides and is forced to muscle it to his target. Will float some throws on seams and dig routes. Will have to be mindful to drive the ball on pro level to avoid the ballhawks who are lurking at safety. Has to prove he has enough arm to challenge the same tight windows he did in college. Ball handling a little sluggish in wide receiver screens, hitches and most RPOs (run, pass option). Wants to play hero-ball at times. Needs to learn when to air-mail throw and move to next play rather than trying to get too cute with sideline throws. Can improve overall touch.

I think even their scouting profiles are unequal when it comes to arm strength.

And then watch Nate

And especially this

K. Maybe Nate has more athleticism, but he also has a weaker arm and the worst type of mentality to go with a weaker arm... Nate Favre is the perfect nickname for him because he's half of Favre... the problem is he's the half that made Favre the league leading INT thrower, not the league leading TD thrower.

If he truly supposedly increased his arm strength by a lot this offseason... awesome, let's roll!!! But he would have had to increase it a good bit. The last pass he threw in a Bills uniform in 2017 exemplifies the primary reason I just don't think Peterman will ever be a viable starter.

Just not an NFL arm.

16 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

This is often a problem with these threads. Literally NOBODY has suggested that they want Peterman to fail. It is a discussion about who they think will be the starting QB, and some think that Peterman is extremely unlikely to be the starter. Some think he sucks, and the game in LA was closer to who he is as a QB, and not an outlier. 

If Peterman does actually become the starter, will Kirby be the dumbest poster on this thread? Nope. All his points are valid. It's not a question of SMH. 

And, if you're going to assume these accusations, why does Burple want McCarron to fail? Did Burple used to date  McCarron's wife?

Way to jump to conclusions.

Where did I call anybody dumb?

People were adamant about Allen not being the target, called all the media stupid for saying the he was the guy the Bills wanted, then, crazy, he was drafted by the Bills.

These same media guys are merely saying that Nate has been impressive in this early part of the off-season, and that he has a good shot of earning the starting role, and yet many in this thread just keep gravitating back to how poorly Nate played last year.

I honestly don't think he's that great, but I also don't think mccarron is that great either, yet many here in this thread seem to be claiming mccarron is a lock to start, and Nate has zero chance.

Those are the same guys who were rambling on about Nate not even making the roster a couple weeks ago, and yet the media seems to think, *gasp*, he might actually win the starting job.

Many who are ripping him seem to want him to fail just so they can say "I told you so" which is really, really, really absurd.

It's very similar to the guys who seemed like they wanted Tyrod to fail, the ones who want Allen to fail and Rosen to succeed.

It seems they would rather be correct and watch Buffalo lose than be incorrect and watch them win.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Steptide said:

Just my personal theory, but beane and McDermott are probably hoping Peterman is the starter come opening day. If he plays half way decent for the season, they can use him as trade bait. We got a 3rd for Tyrod. If we got a 3rd for Peterman that would be a huge win for beane. On the other hand if Peterman is the next Brady, then you could potentially trade Allen for a 1st or maybe more. That last scenario is incredibly unlikely, but stranger things have happened

I would argue that this would be just about the strangest thing ever to happen in the history of the NFL.  Peterman shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Brady unless that sentence is "Peterman is nothing like Brady."

On 6/14/2018 at 8:05 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'd just like to point out that the way Joe B sees it, and the way the people who know what the playcall really was see it may be different.

As you quote, Joe B says "in a one-minute drill to end practice where he just lofted up a pass as time expired and Rod Streater miraculously came down with it in the back of the end zone"

Here is the description of the same play from OBD " That was one of our plays and it kind of caught the defense off guard,” said Streater. “I ran to one side and then cut over and AJ put the ball on the money. It was a great throw and made it easy for me to come down with it.”

So...the reporter, who doesn't know the play etc says McCarron "just lofted up a pass" and Streater made a miracle catch.

Streater, who presumably knows, describes it as "one of our plays and it kind of caught the defense off guard" and says "AJ put the ball on the money and made (the catch) easy for me"

I think McDermott and Daboll are pragmatic enough that Peterman wouldn't be splitting reps with the 1's if they didn't think he had a legit chance to compete with McCarron.

I also think anyone who gets all crowy about how one guy allegedly "outplays" in a reporter's opinion of 11-on-11 drills in shorts in June, is also kidding himself.

The league and the leagues' cutoff bin is full of OTA warriors who disappear in training camp, and training camp warriors who shrivel up in the regular season (see Edwards, Trent).

Been meaning to get back to this post. The part of most substance that I was highlighting is the part about Peterman being noted for making solid reads and showing accuracy consistently on that day.

I think that's big. I don't think it can be dismissed just because it's occurring during training camp and not against an actual opponent.

I think Peterman's ability to go through his progressions is the single trait that could put him over the top in the race for the starting QB job.

It's this trait that I felt was the night and day difference between Peterman and Taylor, the ability to figure out what the defense is trying to do, and then counter it through the air.

I understand that Buscaglia's take on Peterman outplaying McCarron may just be mere opinion, but the part about him making the right reads and displaying accuracy are both objective realities that I think is cause for legit optimism moving forward.

Well this is something:

FWIW Allbright was the first one reporting Josh Allen to the Bills and he never wavered on that. His source is legit.

Peterman's odds just went up.

Also:

Edited by HappyDays

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Well this is something:

FWIW Allbright was the first one reporting Josh Allen to the Bills and he never wavered on that. His source is legit.

Peterman's odds just went up.

Also:

Assuming the 2nd is about Allen? Twitter's blocked at my office :(