Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

6 hours ago, racketmaster said:

Peterman had 1 really bad half of football as a rookie and so many wrote him off.

I'm willing to write him off for this AND in the playoff game in 4 plays he got a first down, fumbled, had a penalty called on him,and then threw a pick. 

Sure it was a tough situation, but if he's really our 2nd string QB, he needs to produce when called on.  If he can't, we can't afford to wait for him to grow up when we got games to win.

I kindof put most of the blame for this on Coach McDermott.  You GOTTA have a backup QB that can actually play.  Nick Foles ...  If the Eagles had Nasty Nate as their backup they probably would not have even made the playoffs.

"The most important position is QB.  The second most important position is back up QB." -- HOF Joe Gibbs

As I recall, he looked really good in shorts last year too.

On 5/21/2018 at 6:16 PM, BurpleBull said:

Nathan Peterman will win the starting QB position barring injury. He'll be much improved from last season.

Excited about Josh Allen as the starting QB, but Peterman is the guy people aren't talking about right now who will have everyone talking by the end of training camp.

He's worked on his mechanics, is said to have added velocity to his throws, has a lot to prove and is no stranger to struggling early in his career and picking himself up.

A little talked about fact concerning Peterman is that he's right up there with Allen as Bills QB's who've scored high on the Wonderlic test for those who equate the test to mental sharpness.

I still hold to the belief that Peterman was at the very least a third round prospect in his draft class.

Peterman will be the guy.

So this is how I have it panning out... 

1. Peterman

2. McCarron

3. Allen

With Allen at three for his protection as he starts out his young career.

Savior?

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?  Peterman completed just 50% of his passes in the preseason, he did NOT outplay anyone.  And not only did he only complete 50% of his passes (Which is Tebow-esque accuracy), he was playing mostly against deep bench guys and players who didn't even make rosters.  

This is how things get constantly sensationalized here.  Peterman makes a couple throws people liked and then they completely ignored anything else and put him on some ridiculous pedestal.  

Not to mention Peterman went on to complete only 49% of his passes in his regular appearances and 33% in his 3 post season passes.  He made 52 career NFL throws in reg/post season appearances, and in those 52 passes he has 6 INTs and 3 Fumbles to go with under 49% completions.  

I wish the kid luck, I like him, and would love to see him surprise.  HOWEVER...the outplaying in preseason is nonsense, and he has yet to do anything on an NFL field that remotely suggests he can be a good starter in the NFL, let alone even a reliable backup.  The odds are stacked against him to even make this roster at this point.  Anything is possible, and wish him nothing but the best...but he has to make SUBSTANTIAL strides this TC and PreSeason to even make the roster.  

Where do guys come up with this stuff? By watching the games and looking at statistics. Peterman looked poised and competent for a rookie qb. Peterman actually completed 54.4% of his passes, not 50%. He had a 75.6% passer rating but this was a new offense being installed so even the veterans around him were learning. In comparison, Tyrod completed 48.3% of his passes and had a passer rating of 27.9%. Tyrod accounted for zero tds in the preseason while Peterman had 1. Peterman played better in the preseason and that is hard to dispute. Again, Peterman generally played against backups and his play was not so good that he should have started week 1. But the coaches did believe enough in Peterman to start him in an important spot. All reports I have seen have indicated Peterman is outplaying Mccaron and that he looks better this year.

Peterman and Mccaron are both 5th round picks, but one was drafted by the current HC while the other was signed after the dust settled and no other teams came calling for him. I would actually be surprised if Mccaron beat Peterman out for the starter or backup spot. I believe Peterman has a stronger arm (especially with improvements made in the offseason) and he is more mobile. Peterman is also cheaper so if they are equal $ will be a factor in Peterman's favor.

All that said, Peterman is not the future of the Buffalo Bills. That role belongs to Josh Allen. How long Allen waits depends on how well Peterman plays as well as Allen's progression.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, racketmaster said:

Where do guys come up with this stuff? By watching the games and looking at statistics. Peterman looked poised and competent for a rookie qb. Peterman actually completed 54.4% of his passes, not 50%. He had a 75.6% passer rating but this was a new offense being installed so even the veterans around him were learning. In comparison, Tyrod completed 48.3% of his passes and had a passer rating of 27.9%. Tyrod accounted for zero tds in the preseason while Peterman had 1. Peterman played better in the preseason and that is hard to dispute. Again, Peterman generally played against backups and his play was not so good that he should have started week 1. But the coaches did believe enough in Peterman to start him in an important spot. All reports I have seen have indicated Peterman is outplaying Mccaron and that he looks better this year.

Peterman and Mccaron are both 5th round picks, but one was drafted by the current HC while the other was signed after the dust settled and no other teams came calling for him. I would actually be surprised if Mccaron beat Peterman out for the starter or backup spot. I believe Peterman has a stronger arm (especially with improvements made in the offseason) and he is more mobile. Peterman is also cheaper so if they are equal $ will be a factor in Peterman's favor.

All that said, Peterman is not the future of the Buffalo Bills. That role belongs to Josh Allen. How long Allen waits depends on how well Peterman plays as well as Allen's progression.

He simply did not. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I'm willing to write him off for this AND in the playoff game in 4 plays he got a first down, fumbled, had a penalty called on him,and then threw a pick. 

Sure it was a tough situation, but if he's really our 2nd string QB, he needs to produce when called on.  If he can't, we can't afford to wait for him to grow up when we got games to win.

I kindof put most of the blame for this on Coach McDermott.  You GOTTA have a backup QB that can actually play.  Nick Foles ...  If the Eagles had Nasty Nate as their backup they probably would not have even made the playoffs.

"The most important position is QB.  The second most important position is back up QB." -- HOF Joe Gibbs

I think your right to say it was a tough spot (very good defense) and also a game in which our starting offense scored 3 points. Personally, I think Peterman has the ability to be a solid backup or low end starter. I'm banking on him improving from last year. If he does not then he ends up as a third stringer or low end backup. I don't believe this to be at all a stretch in the evaluation of his abilities.

14 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I do think it's a bit early to write off Peterman or even McCarron, as so many people already have.  Either of them is capable of becoming a quality starter, and could potentially serve as trade bait going forward if they play decently this year (assuming Allen isn't ready to start).  With that being said, a large majority of super bowl winning teams do not have a starting QB who is just a "quality starter".  They have a QB that is good to excellent, i.e. the type of player that can consistently make the pro bowl

Allen is clearly the guy Bills fans should be rooting to win the job.  His ceiling is much higher than either of the other two.  He has the talent that could potentially result in us being a Super Bowl contender, if the kid can put it all together.

1 hour ago, Robert James said:

I didn't see any "deep love" or "mad crush" for Peterman.  He said Peterman "may have an upside" and he feels he knows TT "will never be a franchise guy."  Mildly positive toward Peterman (saying he has a chance to be better) and saying only that TT has shown himself not to be elite.  Both seem utterly reasonable to me.

Thank you for reminding people what I actually wrote.   

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

He was 1/16 for 7 yards when rushed...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

What’s that number you keep posting?

56 yards or was it 65.  I’m dislexic at times.  

What exactly does this have to do with Nasty Nate and his penchant for melting under pressure?

Edited by reddogblitz

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

AJ's skillset screams longterm clipboard guy to me.  Not mobile.  Not the strongest arm.  Not the quickest release.  Can go in and not single-handedly lose a game, but won't win you one either. 

I should be ashamed of myself to contribute to this, but I'm not.  I have an agenda: I will link highlights featuring Dire Straights every chance I get.

But anyone who thinks AJ McCarron won't win you a game, sure looks like he's got some "clutch" factor here.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Your screen name states the truth, no matter if 10 years from now they're measuring him for his HOF gold blazer...Peterman did throw 5 picks.

Thanks Ridgewaycynic2013, that would actually probably be best for me in the long run as opposed to Peterman growing forgettable and having a senseless nickname.

"I was watching that legendary quarterback back when he was throwing 5 picks in a half!"

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Thanks Ridgewaycynic2013, that would actually probably be best for me in the long run as opposed to Peterman growing forgettable and having a senseless nickname.

"I was watching that legendary quarterback back when he was throwing 5 picks in a half!"

Ah, with nostalgia like that you'll be a natural to introduce Peterman at his HOF induction ceremony...unless he too 'pulls a TO'.  FranchiseQB and BurpleBull there in the front row...brings a tear to my eye.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

......so what if the kid continues to progress and improve his skills.......guess if the trio of McBeane/McD/McDaboll deem him as a keeper (final 53, PS,), it's a bad thing because the expert pundits here would vehemently disagree....hell. who could possibly know better???.....SMH......